Recessed entry, dormers, bays and projections added; steam heating
Themes - Architectural, Community development and Education.
Present owner Phillips Academy 2/13/46.
This property was once owned by Mary H. Griffin who lived in the home directly behind this property at 153 Main St. The Griffin property extended back to School St. Mary Griffin sold this lot to Sarah H. Wisner, widow of Rev. Benjamin Wisner on Mar. 5, 1836 for $350. Rev. Wisner was an Andover Theological Seminary trustee, 1826-1835. In October 1839 Sarah Wisner takes a $1000. mortgage from the Ministerial Fund of the South Parish. The deed now includes a dwelling house and 5203 square foot lot on land. Wisner paid off the loan and then sold the property for $2600. to Benjamin W. Crowninshield of Boston on June 19, 1846. Sarah Wisner then went to live with the Means family in former South Church Manse (site of 36 Central St. at the corner of School St.)
The 1850 Valuation schedule lists Mrs. M. Crowninshield's property as 1/4 acre of land & dwelling house $2000. Her Personal Estate - 6 Shares Wilmington Railroad $540, and $460 in money. With the death of Benjamin W. Crowninshield his estate went to his widow and children which included, Elizabeth B., Charles & Mary Mifflin, Francis B. Crowninshield,Edward A. Crowninshield, George Crowninshield and Dr. Mason & Anna C. Uavien ? The family quit claimed the deed to Maria Crowninshield, widow & daughter Ellen Crowninshield on Dec. 17, 1852, giving them both life tenancy in the home. It is said that John Crowninshield also lived here. His niece, Hortense Crowninshield, had a small private school here 1873-75. The Crowninshield family is connected with sea-faring Crowninshield in Boston and North Shore of Essex County. After the deaths of Maria and Ellen the Crowninshield estate heirs, which had grown considerably, sold the to Frank B. Jenkins, wife Bertha on June 15, 1898.
Frank Jenkins owned the property for 21 year then moved to Newton, MA. Jenkins sold to Mary Susan (Stone) Jackson on May 19, 1919.
Mary Susan Stone was born on Nov. 5, 1863 in Needham, MA, dau. of Rev. Daniel J. & Emma A. (Shattuck) Stone. The Stone family moved to Andover. Rev. Stone died on May 18, 1869 in Cambridge, MA leaving his widow Emma, 6 year old Mary and four month old son Clover J. Stone. Widow Emma would later remarry to Dr. Charles Gilbert local dentist who lived at 115 Main St. Daughter Mary S. Stone married in 1888 to William True Jackson, son of Rev. Samuel C. & Caroline (True) Jackson, a widower, with three children. They lived at 7 Abbot St. with William's sisters. William died in May 1901. Mary S. lived in this home until her death in 1936. She is interred in the Jackson family lot at Phillips Academy Cemetery.
Her brother Clover J. Stone, heir to his sister's estate later sold to Morton Real Estate Trust - Dana T Gallup, Hattie Chapman Trustees on May 11, 1938.
The Trustees of Phillips Academy purchased the property on Feb. 13, 1946. The home was named the Jackson House by the Academy and served as a dormitory and now faculty housing.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Abbot Academy historian, Jane Carpenter - 1976
Mary H. Griffin - land
Sarah H. Wisner, widow of Benjamin Wisner - Mar. 5, 1836 - b. 289 leaf 303 - lot
Benjamin W. Crowninshield - June 19, 1846 - b. 369 leaf 131
Benjamin W. Crowninshield estate, Crowninshield heirs - 1852
Maria Crowninshield & Ellen Crowninshield - Dec. 17, 1852 - b. 475 leaf 117
Crowninshield estate heirs - 1898
Frank B. Jenkins, wife Bertha - June 15, 1898 - b. 164 p. 208
Mary Stone Jackson - May 19, 1919 - b. 400 p. 8
Mary S. Jackson estate, Clover J. Stone heir - 1938
Morton Real Estate Trust - Dana T Gallup, Hattie Chapman Trustees - May 11, 1938 - b. 615 p. 42
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Feb. 13, 1946 - b. 681 p. 252
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Wisner - Crowninshield - Jackson House|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Acreage||0.121 acre; 5,250 sq. ft. with 85' frontage.|
|Map and parcel||40-23|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 12/28/15|