11 Shawsheen Road

Architectural Description: 

NRDIS NRMRA, four fireplaces

Historical Narrative: 

Present owner Michael & Tracy Amirault,

Themes - Architectural, Commerce and Community Development and Industry. This area is known as Abbott Village and many homes in the area were once owned by mill operatives and later in the 19th century purchased by the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. as mill worker housing.

1811 - Abbott Walker to Abra Marland - land only. 1816 John Kneeland to Abraham Marland - land and buildings. 1828 deed, Issac Osgood to Abraham Marland, land with buildings, easterly by said Marlands land to a small cherry tree on the bank of the Shawsheen river. 1830 deed, Abraham Marland to Nathaniel Stevens, land with buildings. 1835 deed, Stevens to Morse, land and buildings. 1844 deed, Morse to Abbot (Joel F., yeoman and wife Mary), land and buildings (348:19). Shawsheen Road "road leading from the house of Abraham Marland to Abbot Mills". 1850 tax list 1/2 house lot and house value $700. 1852 J. Abbot. 1877 J. Abbot to Michael Dailey. 1905 Higgins to Ross. 1907 Ross to Bygrove. 1917 Bygrove to Smith. 1919 561:399 Smith to S&D. See plan 676, 1928 S&D tenements Inc. to Andover Homes Inc. 1932 Andover Homes to Harrington. 1932 Harrington to Deyermond. 1953 Deyermond to Boulanger. 1963 Carlson, Albert G. and Gertrude A. 1968 McNichols, William G. and Rosalie. 1980 MacDonald to Wheeler. 1984 Wheeler to DiGregoril.

Bibliography/References: 

Abbott Walker to Abraham Marland - 1811 land
John Kneeland to Abraham Marland - 1816 Land & buildings
Issac Osgood and Joshua Clapp
Abraham Marland - Aug. 12, 1822 - b. 231 leaf 61
Abraham Marland - Apr. 22, 1828 - b. 249 leaf 92 - Land & Buildings
Nathaniel Stevens - Mar. 12,1830 - b. 255 leaf 277 - $396 Land & Buildings
Isaac Morse - Jan. 13, 1835 - b. 280 leaf 73 - $650 Land & Buildings
Joel F. & Mary Abbott - Aug. 23, 1844 b. 348 leaf 19 - $650
Michael & Ellen Dailey - Apr. 19, 1877 b. 46 p. 46 Lawrence deeds
Ellen Dailey [Daley] - by Will - Probate
Mary Frances (Messer) Higgins - Dec. 24, 1895 b. 144 p. 474
James Ross - Oct. 26, 1905 b. 225 p. 301
H. Robert & Olive Bygrave - June 25, 1907 b. 248 p. 396
George F. Smith - Mar. 9, 1917 b. 373 p. 488
Smith & Dove Manuf. Co. - May 15, 1919 b. 561 p. 399
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. - Dec. 30, 1927 name changed to Andover Homes Inc.
Andover Homes Inc. - Feb. 21, 1927 b. 538 p. 356
b. 564 p. 546-549
Ludlow Manuf. Co. - Aug. 31, 1928 - b. 542 p. 390
Virgil D. Harrington - June 7, 1932 - b. 564 p. 546 lots 19 & 20
John & Martha Deyermond - July 19, 1932 b. 565 p. 418
Henry & Dorothy Boulanger - Jan. 23, 1953 b. 772 p. 173
Albert & Gertrude Carlson - May 15, 1956 b. 830 p. 208
Wm. G. & Rosalie R. McNichols - Aug. 30, 1963 b. 992 p. 479
J. Clifford & Judith A. MacDonald - Apr. 5, 1968 b. 1103 p. 209 lots 19 & 20
George F. Wheeler - May 8, 1980 b. 1434 p. 94
Mary E. & Patricia W. DiGregorio - Apr. 13, 1984 b. 1796 p. 324
John S. Conroy - Aug. 30, 1990 b. 3154 p. 318
John & Melissa (Hines) Conroy - Oct. 28, 1993 b. 3880 p. 63
Michael & Tracy Amirault -Aug. 31, 1994 - b. 4118 p. 196

See plans #676 of the Smith & Dove Manuf. Co. 1927 Northern Essex Registry of Deeds
Smith & Dove land holdings Feb. 1927 b. 564 p. 346-349
Andover Historical Society files.
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds, Lawrence

Inventory Data:

StreetShawsheen Rd
PlaceAbbott Village
Historic DistrictAndover Village Industrial NRH District
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1757?
SourceAndover Bldg. Survey
Architectural StyleFederal
Foundationbrick
Wall/Trimasbestos shingles
Roofasphalt
Major Alterationsremodeled 1964, porch added later.
Conditiongood
Acreageless than one acre, 16,340 sq. ft. , 260' frontage.
SettingIndustrial/residential
Map and parcel54-45
MHC NumberANV.528
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Historical Commission
Date entered1975-77, updated 12/2013

Map: