Queen Anne style, simplified form
Washington Ave. was constructed in 1889 and named on the Centennial of George Washington’s visit to Andover in 1789. Constructed over farm land of Charles O. Cummings, house lots were then sold off to residents and developers. By 1906 eighteen new homes had been built. Interesting to note that five new owners, Tyler, Lewis, Gray, Stiles and Caldwell were House Carpenters and Cummings and Wardwell were developers at each end of the avenue.
Aug. 30, 1889 Andover Townsman p. 4 - The new street, Washington Ave. is progressing rapidly, and from all appearances it is likely to be a good piece of road. The ledge at the Elm Street end had been blasted sufficiently, and the men are now engaged cutting down the ground above the grad and filling in the lower places. Quite a piece stretching from Summer Street is ready for the finishing touches.
October 25, 1889 AT – The new street Washington Ave. is beginning to look like a very good piece of road. The top dressing of red spring gravel is being put on.
Nov. 1, 1889 p.1 AT Commissioner Hayward has finished putting the top coat of Red Spring gravel on Washington Ave. and one sidewalk has been made the entire length.
11 Washington Avenue – 21-78 o.248 a
The property was sold to Adam Lindsey on August 31, 1895. Adam Scott Lindsey was born June 3, 1845 in Logie Pert, Forfarshire, Scotland, near Arbroath. Son of James & Annie (Scott) Lindsey, Adam married Oct. 24, 1864 in Arbroath to Helen Millar (Miller) b. Nov. 28, 1842. Adam worked in the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. flax mill as an overseer. Adam & Annie had 10 children: James b. Feb. 5, 1865 -d. July 27, 1868, Margaret Wright b. Dec. 30, 1866, George Miller b. 1869, Annie b. July 1871, Robert b. July 1874, Mary Miller b. May 1876, Alexander b. Mar. 1878, William M. b. Mar, 1880, Helena M. b. Sept. 1882, all in Scotland and Roland Hill b. July 5, 1886 in Andover. The family immigrated to Andover in 1884 & 1885.
AT Dec. 4, 1897 – Adam S. Lindsey has erected a barn on his land on Washington Ave.
Adam was an overseer for 8 years, then in 1896 worked in soft rubber section for Tyer Rubber Co. Adam was also a musician, a member of the Andover Brass Band and directed the choir at Free Church. Adam’s brother David S. Lindsey worked at Valpey’s Markert at 2 Main St. and bought the business in July 1916 with partner David Young.
Adam and Helen were married nearly 54 years when Adam died on July 5, 1918. The following year Helen sold the house to Maude G. Taylor, wife of Loren E. on. Oct. 7, 1919.
The 1920 Valuation of the property; house $2000, barn $100, ¼ acre $700 = $2800. The Taylor family owned for 36 years.
Northern Essex Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Valuation Schedule
Charles O. Cummings – Land
Adam Lindsey – Aug. 31, 1895 – b. 142 p. 1895
Adam S. Lindsey estate, Wid. Helen M. Lindsey – d. July 5, 1918
Maude G. Taylor, wife of Loren E. – Oct. 7, 1919 – b. 409 p. 241-2
Melburn E. Taylor estate - d. Dec. 2, 1954, heir Alice A. Jenkins Probate
C. Lincoln & E. Janice Giles – Apr. 1, 1955 – b. 810 p. 322
John K. & Irene R. Jones – May 13, 1955 – b. 812 p. 471
John K. Jones estate, heir Irene R. Jones - d. Aug. 12, 1967 – probate
Lawrence J. & Margaret R. Looney – b. 1224 p. 224
William R. & Sandra Link – DelFavero – July 30, 2001 – b. 6286 p. 162
Brian D. Kernan & Laura E. Zaganjori – Nov. 27, 2012 – b. 13230 p. 269
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Adam S. & Helen M. Lindsey House|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Major Alterations||large picture window on first floor level - 1955 Lincoln Giles renovation|
|Map and parcel||21-78|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 1/30/2020|