William Street was originally named Warwick Street when Shawsheen Village was laid out. The name was changed by a vote at Andover Town Meeting in March 1923 in memory of William M. Wood Jr., son of William M. & Ellen (Ayer) Wood, who died in an automobile accident on Aug. 15, 1922.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 were Russell H. & Helen J. Harris. Russell was a wool buyer for the A. W. Co. In 1928 Frank H. & Marion Galloway are residents in the home. Frank Galloway is a dentist.
This house was sold to Marion Beach Galloway, wife of Frank H. on Oct. 9, 1933. The Galloways were the first occupants and owners of this home. They lived here for 16 years then sold to Alica B. Tomlinson, wife of Walter C. Tomlinson on Mar. 22, 1939.
Marion M. O'Shea was the next owner on June 28, 1950.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - lot 22 - parcel 21st
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52 - 9.86 acres
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - parcel 21st
Marion Beach Galloway, wife of Frank H. - Oct. 9, 1933 - b. 572 p. 393
Alica B. Tomlinson, wife of Walter C. - Mar. 22, 1939 - b. 621 p. 594
Marion M. O'Shea - June 28, 1950 - b. 738 p. 13
Frances E. Rooks - Oct. 31, 1952 - b. 768 p. 557
James A. & Maron M. O'Shea - Oct. 31, 1952 - b. 768 p. 558
Helen A. Britton - Feb. 28, 1963 - b. 984 p. 110
James A. O'Shea - Apr. 29, 1963 - b. 984 p. 111
James A. & Virginia A. O'Shea - Dec. 23, 1970 - b. 1164 p. 479
Frank M. & Isabel C. Gallagher - June 30, 1972 - b. 1196 p. 392
James A> & Kathleen M. O'Day - July 18, 1973 - b. 1223 p. 165
David J. & Joanne M. Richards - July 1, 1986 - b. 2231 p. 245
Jude A. Curtis & Elizabeth G. Curtis - Dec. 3, 1992 - b. 3610 p. 324
Kelly Littlewood, wife of Mathew - Oct. 30, 2004 - b. 9238 p. 320
Michael P. & Colleen Summers - July 31, 2012 - b. 13048 p. 324
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Frank H. & Marion Galloway House|
|Construction Date||1920 - 1922|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Adden & Parker of Boston|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Map and parcel||52-62|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|