Themes: Architectural, community development, industry.
112-114 North Main St. “Dennis Sweeney II House” built circa 1898-1900
This side of North Main Street from Lewis St. to the bridge was developed after 1895 when the former Low estate was sold to Hardy & Cole. They created Lewis St. and Buxton Court and divided up the land and sold off house lots north of the Low homestead at 70 No Main. This parcel and the two to the north were not part of the Hardy and Cole purchase as it had been sold off in 1881 by the Low heirs.
This parcel of land was once part of the Capt. Low estate at #70 No. Main St. It was sold by Mary A. & Emily Low, daughters of Capt. Low, on June 16, 1881 to Mary Holland & Anna, wife of John J. Buckley. The triangular lot was 3/4 acre at the northern end of the Low property. Holland & Buckley built the house that stood on the north end of the lot #124 after 1884 as it is on the 1888 map.
On Feb. 29, 1896 the lot with the Holland house- was sold to Dennis Sweeney II who divided the property and sold the southern end of this lot to John McCarthy on June 8, 1896. John Mccarthy built the first duplex at 120 -122 as it is listed in the 1900 Valuation Schedule as the new house at $2000 on 30,000 sq. ft. lot. This house at 112-114 is not on the 1906 map but is assessed in 1910 in the Valuation at $2000 on the same lot as #120. Sweeney was a blacksmith and lived with John Sweeney at 143 North Main St. Sweeney's shop was located on the corner of Pearson Street and North Main on the site of the current gas station building. He later built a home at 22 Central St. John McCarthy lived at 17 Pearson St. in 1900 and 12 Walcott by 1910.
The properties were later divided into two separate lots when the McCarthy heirs sold to Frank A. Buttrick on June 4, 1921. Butrick then sold this duplex to Alfred & Georgina Frotten on July 11, 1921. The other duplex was sold to Louis & Bessie Kimball on Jan. 14, 1922. The Frotten family had the property for 10 years but the Great Depression took its toll and the bank foreclosed on the property in 1932.
The Andover Savings Bank sold a year later to Emanuel & Anna B. Baduvakis on Oct. 10, 1933. They held the property for 18 years selling to Maurice F. & Catherine Nault in Aug.1951.
Roland A. & Lina Chenard purchased the house on June 26, 1957 and sold two years later to James & Lucile Bisset on Oct. 17, 1959. Duncan Bisset, James father, had owned the house next door at 98 No. Main from 1923-1946.
Craig & Claire Spires purchased the house on Aug. 28, 1972 and held the property for 32 years. It was sold to Anthony O. Finocchiaro on Jan. 8, 2004.
The house was totally gutted and renovated in 2009 and converted to two condominiums. The condominiums are currently owned by Anthony O. Finocchiaro and Arthur H. Pauk under the name of 112-114 North Main Street Condominiums in 2014.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Townsman - AT
Andover Street Directories
(plan # 2036 rec.1948)
Joseph L. Low estate - 1820 - bk. 223 leaf 227, Salem Deeds
Contract to build house by John Brown
Lucy L Low, & Emily Low - July 31, 1873 - bk. 22 pg. 273
Lucy L. Low mortgage - Jan. 14, 1874 - bk. 25 pg. 184 - discharged
Mary Holand & Anna Buckley - June 16, 1881 - lot of land
Dennis Sweeney 2nd - Feb. 29, 1896 - bk. 145 pg. 524
John McCarthy - June 8, 1896 - bk. 162 pg. 550 land
Estate of John McCarthy - Heirs, Joseph J, Frank G., Gillian M., & Agnes McCarthy
Frank A. Buttrick - June 4, 1921 - bk. 440 pg. 539
Alfred & Georgina Frotten - July 11, 1921 - bk. 443 pg. 92-3
Andover Savings Bank - Nov. 21, 1932 - bk. 567 pg. 598 foreclosure
Emanuel & Anna B. Baduvakis - Oct. 10, 1933 - bk. 572 pg. 405
Maurice F. & Catherine Nault - Aug. 21, 1951 - bk. 753 pg. 306-7
Roland A. & Lina Chenard - June 26, 1957 - bk. 857 pg. 48
James & Lucile Bisset - Oct. 17, 1959 - bk. 904 pg. 288
Craig & Claire Spires - Aug. 28, 1972 - bk. 1200 pg. 628
Anthony Finocchiaro - Jan. 8, 2004 - bk. 8542 pg. 3
112-114 North Main Street Condominiums - Aug. 20, 2013 - b. 13623 p. 8
|Street||North Main St|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||John McCarthy House|
|Present Use||Condo - residences|
|Original Use||residence - 2 family|
|Construction Date||1907 - 1910|
|Major Alterations||Condo conversion 2009|
|Acreage||8,162 sq. ft.; approximate frontage 75'|
|Map and parcel||38-34|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 9/2014|