Greek Revival with gable end to street. Front facade faced with brick,
quarter round blind fans in gable; long front windows
Original owner; Hon. Amos Abbott (1786-1868), m. 1812
Themes: Architectural, community development
The property along the east side of Main St. from Punchard Ave to Morton St. was owned by the Andover South Parish Ministerial Fund. Seven lots were divided up along the new Essex Turnpike and sold off at auction on April 18, 1810. Amos Abbot, a Trader, purchased this lot #6 for $405 which contained 142 sq. rods with 214.5 ft. frontage on Main St. Amos later purchased a portion of lot #7 next to his residence/store from Merrill Pettengill on Dec.18, 1827. Amos built a second home at #106 Main which became his primary residence. It is said to have been built by Jacob Chickering 1832- 1833. The Greek Revival brick ender at #112, was probably also built by Jacob Chickering with brick work by Benj. Gleason. Abbott kept his store of dry goods, groceries and drugs in this house #112. (see Poore, Dr. Alfred - "Genealogical - Historical Visitation of Andover in Year 1863", Vol. XLIX, July 1913, "Essex Institute Historical Collection).
Deacon Amos Abbot was a merchant, a State Representative and Senator and one of Andover's leading citizens. Amos was born Sept. 6, 1786 in Andover, son of Jeduthan & Hannah (Poor) Abbot. Amos attended Bradford College, married Dec. 6, 1812 to Ester Mackey West b. Jan. 20, 1783 in Salem, dau. of Edward & Elizabeth (Mackey) West. Amos & Ester had 12 children: Sarah Barnard b. Apr. 10, 1814, Elizabeth b. Mar. 4, 1816, Edward West b. Apr. 4, 1818, Amos Alfred b. May 30, 1920, infant son b. & d. Dec. 10, 1821, Caroline M. bpt. June 1, 1823, Ester Ann b. Feb. 6, 1826, Jane Green b. July 23, 1828, William A. b. Aug. 9, 1831 and Amy F. b. Dec. 11, 1832, Emma F. b. 1835 and Sarah B. b. 1838.
Amos Abbott was South Parish's First Congressional Representative. He was 1st President of Andover Institution of Savings, May 1835. Amos was the town surveyor, 1812, 1814, and 1816; Town Clerk 1822, 1826, 1828, and Town Treasurer 1824 - 1829. He served on the school committee 1828 - 1830; was Representative to Massachusetts General Court 1835 – 1855, State Senator 1840 - 1842 and in 1843 elected Wig Party to 28th U.S. Congress serving to Mar. 4, 1849. Amos was Andover’s Postmaster 1849-1853 and was also a founder of the Boston and Maine Railroad and a director.
The 1850 Valuation on Amos Abbot; 1 acre Dwelling house & Barn - $2000, Brick house $1800, Old house & barn $1700,Farm house, barn 7 other blds. $1750, 45 acre farm $2925, 16a near Pomp’s pond $400, 2a near Dea. Smith’s $60, 10a Pearson lot $300. = $10,935. Farm stock $80, 10 Andover Bank shares $900, 51 Railroad shares $2550. Amos’ wife Ester died on Sept. 23, 1850. Amos died on Oct. 4, 1868 and is interred at South Parish Cemetery.
1850s - 1880s Mr. Nathan Ellis lived here.
Samuel K. Johnson purchased the property on September 16, 1869. Samuel Kimball Johnson was born May 10, 1821 in Andover, son of Edmond & Nancy (Kimball) Johnson. Samuel married on Nov. 5, 1846 to Lucy Ann Griffin b. Jan. 30, 1827 in Methuen daughter of Jonathan & Lucy Griffin. Samuel listed his occupation as machinist but later owned an Express Co. The 1870 Valuation lists: House $2200, barn $300, 1/2 acre $700 = $3200, Farm St. $300 money $500. Sam and Lucy had two sons; James Edmond b. Jan. 15, 1849 and Frank Pierce b. Feb. 1, 1852. Frank would work with his father as an express man. Frank died of Typhoid fever on Sept. 13, 1871 age 19. Son James E. married Emma F. in 1880, became a Dry Goods merchant and lived in Boston.
Samuel died on May 16, 1891 at age 71y 6m a retired Expressman. His estate went to his widow Lucy A. and son James E. Johnson.
July 1, 1892 Andover Townsman - "The S. K. Johnson residence on Main Street is being raised and set back from the street. G. H. Wilson is moving it.
July 8, 1892 AT - "John McCarthy is putting in the foundation for the cellar under the Johnson house on Main Street and Hardy & Cole will do the work.
The brick Greek revival house was most likely aligned on Main St. with the two other Greek Revivals at 104 and 106 Main St.
In the 1900 and 1910 census Wid. Lucy A. Johnson lives in Boston with her son James. E. James died on June 23, 1914 in Boston.
June 1913 it was owned by Mrs. Samuel K. Johnson and was occupied by Circle Tearoom.
Also known as Penniman House - S. Ella and Annie B. Penniman were owners-occupants after 1937. Improved and renovated.
Phillips Academy owned - 1962.
Andover Historical Society files
Dorman, Moses; Map of Andover, 1830
Maps 1852 and 1856 Walling; 1872 Beer's Atlas
Maps: 1854, 1872, 1884, 1896, 1906, 1930
Directories: 1926, 1932, 1943, 1953
Carter, Emily; "Main Street in 1850" - Andover Townsman, Jan. 23, 1934
Fuess, Claude; "Andover, Symbol of New England", 1959
"Amos Abbot" - Bibliographical Directory of the American Congress
See also: Barn survey 1988 AHS files
Andover South Parish Ministerial Fund - 1810
Amos Abbott - April 18, 1810 - b. 190 leaf 79 - $405 lot #6
Amos Abbott estate, Alfred A. and Albert Abbott Extrs. Dec. 1, 1868 Probate
Samuel K. Johnson - Sept. 16, 1869 - b. 782 leaf 62 Salem Deeds
Samuel K. Johnson estate, Wid. Lucy A. Johnson and James E. Johnson - May 16, 1891 probate
James B. Ewart - Oct. 19, 1910 - b. 296 p. 572
S. Ella Penniman & Annie Blanche Penniman - Oct. 22, 1910 - b. 324 p. 152 lot 1 house
S. Ella Penniman & Annie Blance Penniman Nov. 16, 1937 - b. 661 p. 519
Annie Blanche Penniman - Sept. 15, 1961 with death of S. Ella Pennimen
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Apt. 6, 1962 - b. 956 p. 18
John E. & Mary Sheehy - June 27, 1968 - b. 3301 p. 10
Windchime Investments Inc. - March 23, 2000 - b. 5705 p. 233
|Historic District||Main/Locke Streets NRH District|
|Historic Name||Abbott, Dea. Amos Dry Goods and Grocery Store|
|Present Use||Apartments & professional office|
|Construction Date||ca. 1830|
|Source||Andover Historical Society files|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Wall/Trim||brick front; clapboard sides & rear|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Clapboarded barn and garage; attached shed|
|Major Alterations||Moved in July 1892 and renoveted Renovated (1937) barn and garage razed (1969) barn demolished (1988)|
|Move Details||July 8, 1892 AT.|
|Acreage||less than one acre; Lot size: 26,900 sq.ft.; Approx. frontage: 128'|
|Map and parcel||39-61|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; Brian Lee (cwo) J. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 -1977; July 1992, 2/2014|