Style: Late Greek
Themes: Architectural, Community development
This section of River Road was cut off with the construction of Route 93 in the late 1950's. River Road was straightened and thr overpass and interchange ramps were built. The highway cut through the east side of the Shattuck farm. The former sections of River Road to the west and east side of the highway were renamed Old River Road. The homes that remain are however still listed as River Rd. addresses with the assessors office.
This house was built in the Greek Revival style popular between 1820-1860. The period photos show the home with the original engaged pilaster corner boards and deep eave returns. A side porch was added in the 1970s and the home now has a front porch across the main with of the facade.
The property was once owned by James Toye who purchased three separate parcels of land. The first parcel was acquired form the guardian of Lucy A. Bailey on Apr. 11, 1867. This lot contained a little over 7 acres of land and included the current house lot. It was located on the road from the North District Schoolhouse to the Shattuck Farm or River Road. Two other parcels were also purchased by Toye. The second parcel in the deed on Dec. 6, 1865 from Daniel Lovejoy. No mention of size but went down to the Merrimack River. The third parcel was purchased from Amos C. Morse and contained 8 acres. The Toye farm would have abutted the Rufas Bailey farm once located at 87 River Rd. and razed in the 1981, the land now occupied by Campanelli Drive.
James Toye was born in Oct. 1835 in Ireland, son of Patrick & Bridge (Mundy) Toye. He came to Lawrence, MA, married Catherine Hartegan .b Jan. 15, 1834 in Limrick CO., Ireland. James & Catherine had six children; Ellen "Nellie" L. b. July 1862, Edward F. b. Jan. 1864, William A. b. June 1866, Mary G. b. Feb. 1870, Annie Augusta b. Apr. 2, 1872 and Martha Jane b. June 1874 - d. Apr. 21, 1875. The 1870 Valuation of Jame Toye; House $850 Barn $200, 53 acres $1325 = $2375 Farm stock $460. The 1870 agriculture census survey list 2 horses, 6 cows 1 swine. In the 1888 Andover directory we find Edward F. Toye farmer; Miss Ellen Toye - teacher and James Toye, Farmer.
Catherine died on Sept. 9, 1893 in Lawrence. By 1900 the Toye family are living at 24- Andover, St, in Lawrence. James died on May 6, 1909 age 73. He is interred at St. Mary's Cemetery.
James Toye took a mortgage on his property in 1907 with Benny Alfond of Lawrence. The mortgage was assigned to Edward F. Toye and William A. Toye but James defaulted on the loan and the property was then auctioned off. Benny Alfond purchased the property for $4500. Alfond then sold the Toye farm to Manuel Souza Da Sliva and his wife Mary on Dec. 21, 1909. Da Silva owned for nine years then selling to Frank Laramee of Lawrence, and Wifred Laramee of Andover. Laramee held just two years then sold to to Jacob Karlegejan and George Jacobson on Aug. 11, 1920.
A few months later the property was transferred to George Jacobson's wife Rose. The Jacobson family would own the property for 41 years. George Jacobson was a farmer. In 1943 George & Rose are listed with two children, Jacob a laborer and Peter J., with wife Irene. Peter is a 2nd Lieutenant with the US Army. Son Jacob Jacobson and his wife Armenouhie acquired the property through the will of Rose Jacobson. In 1961 Jacobson divided up the property and the homestead lot was parceled off.The parcel map #4384 shows the house on River Rd. at a corner of a small road labeled Chestnut Lane. The parcel now included only 44,000 square feet. Jacob built a new home next door at #91 River. Rd. Jacob was a police officer for the Town of Andover.
Melvin J. & Dorothy Chaisson purchased the house on Nov. 15, 1961. It is interesting to note that in the 1961 Andover Directory Arthur J. & Lily Walsh are living in #113. The Walsh family had been living a 3 Binney Street, Shawsheen Village in 1960 but the property was taken by the State for construction of Route 495.
Other information: Andover Maps
1906 - J. Toye
1884 - J. Toye
1872 - J. Toye
1852 - Mrs. Lovejoy -
1856 - Mrs. Lovejoy -
1830 - B. Lovejoy -
Andover Valuation 1870 - James Toy - house $850. barn $200, 53 acre Home Farm $1325 =
1850 Valuation: Widow Sally Lovejoy: 1/3 Dwelling House $120, 1/3 Barn $42, 10-1/2 acres adjoining blds. $210, 2 acres Young Wood $60 = 12.5 acres assessed total $432
Heirs of Bod.[well] Lovejoy: 2/3 Dwelling $240, 2/3 Barn $84, 31.5 acres adjoining buildings $630, =
35.5 acres - total $1074.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See plan #4384 - Oct. 1961
Lucy A. Bailey - 1867 - lot #1 7a
James Toye - Apr. 11, 1867 - b. 721 leaf 299 - lot #1
James Toye - Dec. 6, 1865 - b. 695 leaf 81 - lot #2 from Daniel Lovejoy
James Toye - Apr. 8, 1867 - b. 721 leaf 298 - lot #3 from Amos C. Morse - 8 acres
James Toye - Mar. 27, 1907 - b. 244 p. 83 - mtg - 3 parcels
Edward F. Toye & William A. Toye - Dec. 4, 1909 - mtg. assigned
Benny Alfond - Dec. 4, 1909 - b. 285 - p. 587 - mtg. deed by auction
Manuel Souza Da Silva & Mary Da Silva wife, Dec. 21, 1909 - b. 285 p. 585
Frank Laramee and Wilfred Laramee - June 18, 1918 - b. 388 p. 356
Jacob Karlegejan and George Jacobson - Aug. 11, 1920 - b. 429 p. 261
Halbert W. Dow - Nov. 22, 1920 - b. 435 p. 577 - deed transfer
Rose Jacobson - Nov. 22, 1920 - b. 435 p. 583
Rose Jacobson estate, Jacob Jacobson heir - Probate #263120
Jacob & Armenouhie Jacobson -
Melvin J. & Dorothy Chaisson - Nov. 15, 1961 - b. 948 p. 217
Joan A. Rapisarda - Oct. 26, 1965 - b. 1046 p. 475
Theodore A. & Lucy E. Doucette - Oct. 26, 1965 - b. 1046 p. 476
Theodore A. Doucette estate, Lucy E. Doucette heir - Oct. 10, 1974
Lucy E. Doucette & Hubert L. Sheerin - Nov. 5, 1974 - b. 1251 p. 303
Felicia Sholik - Nov. 5, 1974 - b. 1251 p. 303 - deed transfer
Lucy E. Doucette & Hubert L. Sheerin - Nov. 5, 1974 - b. 1251 p. 304
Barbara E. Byrnes - Dec. 7, 1975 - b. 1271 p. 50
Roland R. & Barbara W. (Byrnes) Houde - Aug. 26, 1986 - b. 2282 p. 162
James Toye sold off a portion of his land to Rufus Bailey on Aug. 21, 1867 - b. 729 leaf 183
|Place||West Andover - North School District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||James Toye House|
|Construction Date||1867 - 1870|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Major Alterations||south side addition 1970s, front porch|
|Acreage||44,000 sq, feet|
|Map and parcel||142-2C|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 10/5/2015|