115 Abbot Street

Architectural Description: 

Craftsman style Bungalow, open front porch, bracketed eaves on gable ends and dormers
Steam & auto. burners, wood burning stove

Historical Narrative: 

Original owner: Charles & Marjorie Tucker

Themes: architectural, community development

House probably made-to-order for Tucker, who was connected with Tyre Rubber Co.; built of wood with foundation of stone from material gathered on site. Typical Craftsman style bungalow of the period with sympathetic contemporary addition.

Francis H. Foster of Central Street owned all the the property along the west side of Abbot St. to Pomps Pond. In the 1920's Foster began selling off house lots from east of Eastman Rd to Camp Maude Eaton. Marjorie L. Tucker, wife of Charles H. Tucker is the holder of the original deed to the lot purchased on April 21, 1928. A deed restriction was placed on the lot stating that "No building shall be erected nearer than thirty feet from the street unless it be steps or porches. Marjorie Tucker agrees to build and maintain a fence about the said property which shall be sufficient to protect her from damage by cattle kept on adjoining property of the grantor."

The Tucker family owned the property for 37 years then sold to Donald & Norma A. Gammon on August 6, 1965. Norma was returning to Andover, her child hood hometown. Donald and Norma were both Art majors in college where they met. Norma was an active member in town and community programs. She served on the Board of Selectmen, Andover Preservation Commission, former president of the Andover Historical Society, Chairwoman of the Bicentennial Celebration in 1976 and the town's 350th Anniversary Celebration in 1996. Norma and Don owned and raised their family here for 45 years. The Gammons sold in 2010 to Sarah B. Fitch now the third owner of the home.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Interview with owner Gammon

Francis H. Foster - b. 356 p. 315
Marjorie L. Tucker - Apr. 21, 1928 - b. 539 p. 371
Anna M. Greeley - Oct. 3, 1952 - b. 768 p. 117
Charles H. & Marjorie L. Tucker - Oct. 3, 1952 - b. 768 p. 118
Donald L. & Norma A. Gammon - Aug. 6, 1965 - b. 1040 p. 288
Sarah B. Finch - Jan. 26, 2010 - b. 11922 p. 68

Inventory Data:

StreetAbbot St
PlacePhillips District
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameCharles & Marjorie Tucker House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1927
SourceECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs, assessors' rec.
Architectural StyleCraftsman/Bungalow
Foundationbrick & stone
Wall/Trimcedar shingles/clapboard/wood
Roofasphalt - gable
Major AlterationsEnlarging interior: changes - new kitchen, enclosed porch (1977) contemporary addition on south side
Acreage0.689 acre; 30,000 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 150'
Map and parcel75-4
MHC NumberANV.15
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, 12/5/2015