high brick foundation, this property was formerly part of the lot of #117 North Main and sub-divided in the 1950's.
The property at #117 North Main was once owned by Thomas C. Foster in 1858 when he sold the lot to Margaret Collins, wife of Charles Collins on Oct. 22, 1858 for $100. Collins then hired George L. Abbott & Moses Clement of Abbott & Clement builders to construct the home (#117). Margaret borrowed $550. from the contractors who then held the deed until the loan was paid. Collins paid off the loan on Nov. 16, 1866.
Charles Collins was born in Ireland about 1827 son of Charles & Ellen Collins. Charles married on Sept. 20, 1857 in Lawrence, MA at the Catholic Church to Margaret Casey b. about 1827 in Ireland. Both Charles and Margaret were residents of Andover at that time. Margaret's parents were not listed in marriage or death records. Charles & Margaret had two sons: Charles b. Jan 1863 d. Aug. 18, 1863 and Daniel Augustine Collins b. Jan. 7, 1864. Charles occupation is listed a Day Laborer in 1870 census.
On September 8, 1866 Charles Collins purchased a small second parcel at the rear of the property from the Boston & Maine Railroad. Collins paid $25 for the lot that was once a portion of the old Andover-Wilmington Railroad line that ran along the rear of the properties through Hartigan Court and down High St. to North Andover Center and on to Haverhill. The line was incorporated into the Boston & Maine RR when the tracks were relocated in 1848 to the current location to service the new city of Lawrence.
The Andover Valuation schedule in 1860 lists Charles Collins 1/8 acre House and land $900. In 1870 Collins is assessed for 1/4 acre $150, House $900, Barn & shed $200 = $1250. This home at #115 North Main is not listed on the 1882 map of Andover Center.
Margaret Collins died on Sept. 9, 1891 and her son Daniel A. Collins inherited the property. Daniel gives a sewer easement to the Town of Andover in Oct.1899 which runs close to the front of the house at #115 at the rear of the property. Daniel worked for Tyer Rubber Co. as a shipper, inspector and later advanced to foreman. The 1900 census lists Daniel as a boarder in his house at #115. Also renting are Widow Mrs. Ellen Haley b. Feb. 1845 and her daughter Ellen b. Aug. 1872, a laborer at Tyer Rubber Co. who Daniel married on Jan. 24, 1907. Ellen C. Haley, birth record is Sept. 25, 1872 in Andover dau. of Jeremiah & Ellen (Driscoll) Haley. Daniel & Ellen had three children: Helen C. b.June 9, 1908, Margaret Monica b. Jan. 26, 1912, and Daniel A. Jr. b. Nov. 29, 1913.
Ellen C. died in 1920 and is interred at St. Augustine's Cemetery. The 1930 Census lists Daniel A. Sr. and his two daughters and son. Helen graduated from Punchard High School in 1917 and was a stenographer. Helen graduated from Portia Law School in Boston, worked for Arlington Trust Co. in Lawrence and advanced to Vice President. Margaret graduated in 1929 for PHS, also became a stenographer working for the Arlington Trust Bank in Lawrence. Son Daniel Jr. became an invalid, confined to a wheel chair and in 1935 was a patient at Holy Ghost Hospital in Cambridge, MA. where he died Jan. 14, 1960. A cousin Catherine Moynihan b. 1885 a graduate of Lowell Teachers College boarded with them. She taught at Indian Ridge School from 1906 - 1910.
Daniel later deeded the property to his daughters Helen C. and Margaret M. Collins on Jan. 11, 1946. Daniel died about 1948.
A boundary dispute was settled by the land court in Aug. 28, 1956. A map of the property was created at that time and shows the two homes on the lot. Helen & Margaret Collins then sold the property to Robert J. & Rita Fanning in Oct. 1956. The Collins family had now owned for 98 years. Helen & Margaret moved to 5 Houston Ave, in Methuen. Helen died on March 5, 1993 in Methuen and Margaret died on Feb. 26, 2003 in North Andover.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Court Map #26804 A - May 12, 1956
See Area Form Survey A - Marland Mills Village Bibliography
Thomas C. Foster - 1858 - lot of land
Margaret Collins, wife of Charles Collins - Oct. 22, 1858 - b. 599 leaf 11
Geo. L. Abbott & Moses Clement - Dec. 22, 1859 - b. 599 leaf 12 mtg. deed
Margaret Collins, wife of Charles Collins - Nov. 16, 1866 - b. 714 leaf 1
Margaret Collins estate, Daniel A. Collins heir - Oct. 12, 1891 - Probate
Helen C. Collins & Margaret M. Collins - Jan. 11, 1946 - b 680 p. 123
Helen C. Collins & Margaret M. Collins - Aug. 28, 1956 - ctf. #4449 - b. 30 p. 157
Robert J. & Rita Fanning - Oct. 9, 1956 - ctf. #4458 b. 30 p. 233
Duncan M. & Beverly A. Cairnie, Frederick & Helen M. Welsh - May 28, 1968 - ctf. #6202 b. 42 p. 9 (1/2 int.)
D. & F. Trust; Trustees D. Cairnie and F. Welch - June 12, 1968 - ctf. #6211 b. 42 p. 45
William A. Jr. & Margorie I. Atwood - July 15, 1969 - ctf. #6373 b. 43 p. 93
John Jr. & Maria Araujo - Mar. 12, 1971 - cft. #6615 b. 44 p. 461
Fred & Jeanne Delisio, Feb. 27, 1973 - ctf. #6934 b. 46 p. 541
|Street||North Main St|
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Daniel & Ellen Collins House|
|Present Use||residence - duplex|
|Construction Date||1890 - 1898|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||replacement windows, vinyl siding covers original.|
|Acreage||0.199a acre; 8,656 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 48'|
|Map and parcel||38-44|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 12/10/2015, 2/27/2020|