Style, Colonial with Gambrel roof, only a few of this period and style that survives in Andover.
This home is said to have been moved to this site in 1842 from So.. Main St.
Possibly Jeremiah Goldsmith's (1799 - 1864) house which was moved circa 1842 from South Main Street near Ballardvale Road to 82/87 Summer Street (renumbered in 1938 to 115 Summer Street). Bessie Goldsmith's notes
This property was once owned by Henry F. Pasho and sold after his death by George N. Pasho, Executor of Henry's estate. The house with 2 acres and 28.5 sq. rods of land was sold at public auction to Katherine Morse, wife of John Morse for $1075. The deed was received by Morse on May 12, 1879.
Morse held the property for 13 years, perhaps as rental income, then selling to John Ewing [Ewen] Hutcheson on June 25, 1892. John Hutcheson was born in January 1855 in Brechin, Scotland, son of Robert & Agnes (Ewing) Hutcheson of Brechin. John married Jane Bowman Buick of Arbroath, Co. Angus, Scotland and lived there at East Links in the1881 Scotland Census. John's occupation was Fish Dealer and Chimney Sweep. They would have 5 children; Georgina Forsyth b. 1875, John Ewen Jr. b. Feb. 1876, William Johnson b. May 1879, Robert b. 1881 and Elizabeth b. June 1883. John or Jock's wife Jane died leaving Jock to care for his children.
John immigrated to America in 1887 and settled in Andover first working at Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. as a Flax Dresser. He re-married on Sept. 1, 1887 in Andover to Margaret Watt b. Nov. 15, 1861 in Arbroath, Scotland daughter of Albert Rose & Elizabeth (Wallace) Watt. They most likely knew each other in Scotland as they both immigrated the same year they married. Margaret W. worked as an Operative.
Jock, as he was know by, established his own fish market business in Andover and operated out of this property on Summer St. Smoked fish, a specialty, known as "Smokies" in Arbroath, Scotland, were fixed in a building behind his barn. Jock had a wagon and peddled his fish about town.
1901 - 1902 directory; John & John Jr. Hutchington, Fish & Oysters, h. 87 Summer Street.
John & Margaret would have 4 children, two survived; Margaret W. b. Jan. 1891 and son Douglas W. b. Nov. 1894.
The 1900 Federal Census lists John, Margaret, their two children and John E. Jr., William J. and Elizabeth C. Hutcheson, children of Jock's first marriage. All reside at 87 Summer Street.
John Jr. works with his father as a Fish Dealer, son William is a hard rubber molder at Tyer Rubber Co. and Elizabeth is a Spinner at Smith & Dove.
In 1910 only son Douglas, age 16, is home with his parents and now working with his father as salesman in the fish market. The 1920 census also list Ethel age 25 wife of Douglas. Daughter Margaret W. has married John Fairweather, and has two daughters Margaret A. b. 1913 and Ruth W. Fairweather b. 1915.
It is said that John Fairweather managed the fish market but that it did not last.
In 1930 John & Margaret are retired and son Douglas, a widower, is now working as a printer for Smith & Coutts. On Oct. 31,1927 the property was deed over to Douglas with a life tenancy for his parents.
The Hutchesons owned 4 other properties on the street and rented, in 1913, the house to right of house. Jock's wife Margaret purchased 2 of the lots, #9 & #10 abutting their property from Mary E. O'Brien, property the Dennis O'Brien estate on Mar. 17, 1920 (b. 417 p. 512)
John E. Huthcheson died in Andover on April 3, 1933 age 78 y 2m 29 days. His wife Margaret died on Oct. 22, 1940 in Lake Placid, FL. at age 78 y 11m 11d. Both are interred at Spring Grove Cemetery.
Son Douglas remarried to Pearl S. and the property was placed in Pearl's name in 1958 and later sharred title in 1966. Douglas died on Oct. 26, 1975 and Pearl the following year on Oct. 24, 1976.
Thomas F. Caffrey, executor of Peal S. Hutcheson estate sold the property to Alexander W. & Wendy S. Palmer on May 10, 1977. Palmer owned for 10 years selling to George K. & Jo A. Thorlin on Sept. 4, 1987. The Thorlins acquired a small piece of land just south of the house in 2001 when Stevens Circle was developed. This transaction came from Virginia Small, daughter of Carl & Ruth Stevens who had lived next door to Hutcheson. Thorlin continues ownership in 2015.
Sawer- O. P. Chase / - /Herb Chase?
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Bessie Goldsmith; The Andover Townswoman, pg. 92
Building marker 1995
Map. #2958 - Feb. 15, 1955 "Stevens Circle" Map #2331 Jan. 10, 1951 -102 & 104 Summer St. lots.
Henry F. Pasho
Henry F. Pasho estate, Geo. N. Pasho, Extr - Apr. 7, 1879 - Auction
Katherine Morse, wife of John - May 12, 1879 - b. 56 p. 20
John E. Hutcheson - June 25, 1892 - b. 119 p. 382
John E. & Margaret W. Hutcheson - life tenancy Oct. 1927 - b. 536 p. 485
Douglas W. Hutcheson - Oct. 31, 1927 - b. 536 p. 485 - 6.6 acres
Pearl S. Hutcheson - Nov. 13, 1958 - b. 883 p. 347
Pearl S. & Douglas W. Hutcheson - Mar. 15, 1966 - b. 1056 p. 222
Pearl S. Hutcheson estate, Thomas F. Caffrey, Extr. - May 10, 1977 Probate
Alexander W. & Wendy S. Palmer - May 10, 1977 - b. 1307 p. 653
George K. & Jo A. Thorlin - Sept. 4, 1987 - b. 2585 p. 313
Carl H. & Ruth T. Stevens -
George K. & Jo A. Thorlin Aug. 3, 2002 - b. 6983 p. 151
Patrica Davis -Orr - Aug. 3, 2002 - b. 6983 p. 155
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Hutcheson House|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, & owner|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||barn|
|Major Alterations||Rear shed roof addition Picture window 1960's|
|Move Details||Bessie Goldsmith's Andover Townswoman|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||4-57|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 2/21/2015|