12 - 14 Fletcher St was a two family duplex, with side by side units. Four houses of this design were built on Fletcher Street. The house was wood clapboard, hip roof with entrances on each end. The duplex at 45 - 47 Union St. is of similar design.
Fletcher Street was originally built with 14 homes, 10 were single family residences and 4 were double houses. With the construction of Route 495 the Commonwealth of Massachusetts took every property by eminent domain on Dec. 29, 1960. Five homes on Binney St. were also lost. By 1963 Fletcher Street no longer existed. Some homes were moved to new locations but the majority was demolished.
One of the goals of the Andover Preservation Commission is to identify historic places and sites. We re-list Fletcher St. as it was once a historic part of the Shawsheen Village development. We also honor the families that made their homes on Fletcher St. and their contribution to the community.
The homes were built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. With the construction of the Shawsheen Mill housing was necessary for operatives employed in the mill. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association with offices in the Post Office building in Shawsheen Square, then later moved into the Administration Building.
Each home incorporated a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Mr. Wood also incorporated two family duplexes in every section of the new Village.
The properties came with deed restrictions. No stores, factories, or other buildings of any business nature shall be erected.. only professional, doctor, dentist or other professional occupations,…No shed, hen houses or out buildings, except a one or two stall garage, which shall have a pitched roof and be of the same general architectural pattern & material, and of the same color, as the building on said premises,…have a cement, macadam, asphalt or crushed stone driveway. No single house erected less than$3500 and no double houses less than $5000. All buildings shall be kept painted white, buff or gray, all with the same setback from the street.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company. The AWCo. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded
#12 - One of the first occupants of record to lease in #12 on April 1, 1924 was Andrew & Mary G. MacLachlin. Andrew was a spinner age 54, wife Mary age 43, In 1930 their sons Andrew Jr. and James were both mill operatives with AWCo. In 1932 Robert & Marjorie D. Christie reside at #12. In 1935 Anthony L & Karen Ambye rent the unit and remained into the 1940s.
#14 The unit apartment was rented to Albert Fielding age 52, Foreman and his wife Agnes M. age 45. In 1928 Herbert & Dorothy Gardner reside here. Herbert is a clerk in Boston.
1932 Chalres G. & Alice Collier are enumerated at #14. Charles works for AWCo.
1935 Merritt R. & Annie Ball, he listed as a Chauffer.
On March 17, 1941 Hubert H. Mayo purchased the property form the Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. Hubert then deeded the property to his son Archibald J. Mayo on the same day and it appears the purchase was income property as neither Mayo are listed at this address. Hubert H. Mayo was born April 13, 1876 in Bershire, VY, son of Joseph J. Elizabeth R. (Harrigton) Mayo. In 1910 Herbert is a Produce salesman and his WWI Registration card list him as a Stock hand for the AWco. In Lawrence. Herbert marriedMary A. Casey, b. April 27, 1876. They had four children; Archibald b. 2/4/1895 VT, Herbert Elton b. 1/1897 d. 2/6/1910, Sophia A. b. 1910 and Donald A. b. 1916. His wife Mary died May 10, 1940. They lived on Lowell St. at #76. In 1943 Hubert was living at 167 Lowell Street and was a Watchman at the AWCo. Archibald Justin died on Sept. 22, 1942. He also worked for AWco at the Shawsheen Mill and was married in Dec. 16, 1914 to grace C. Eaton. In Archibald will the property went back to his father Herbert who died on Jan. 19, 1944 at 67 years. His eatate was administered by O. Irving Piper and the Fletcher St. property sold to Margaret V. Demers on March 29, 1944.
Margaret V was married to Walter Demers who was the Treasurer of Lawrence Plate & Glass. Their son Walter Jr. and his wife Lois were living here in 1953 at #12. Mary G. Cotter widow b. 1898 and daughter m. Lyne Cotter b. 1938 reside at #14 and were the late tenants in the unit. In 1961. In #12 were James E. & Jane C. Hanlon.
12 – 14 Fletcher St. 9-80 – Lot 10 The Mayo – Demers House.
Ephraim Everson parcel 1 & Solomon Flagg parcel 2
William C. Donald - March 3, 1855 - b. 567 leaf 246 - parcel 1 Salem deed
William C. Donald - Jan. 15, 1861 - b. 623 leaf 128 - parcel 2 Salem deed
William C Donald estate, Gordon Donald, TR - 9.86 acres
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52 - 9.86 acres
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Andover Shawsheen Realty Company
Hubert H. Mayo – mar. 17, 1941 – b. 638 p.227
Archibald J. Mayo – Mar. 17, 1941 – b. 640 p. 368
Archibald J. Mayo estate, Hubert H. Mayo heir
Hubert H. Mayo estate, Irving Piper Extr. 1944
Margaret V. Demers – Mar. 29, 1944 – b. 663 p. 294
Demers Realty Co. – Jan. 3, 1951 – b. 745 p. 429
Commonwealth of Mass. – Dec. 29, 1960 – b. 929 p. 334 Eminent Domain
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||The Mayo - Demers House|
|Present Use||Highway Route 495|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Demolition Details||Razed in 1962 for 495 construction|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 9, 2023|