Themes: Architectural, Community development
Historical significance: Brook Street developed 1830's as "way to the factories" [also known a Factory Street] - (Bessie Goldsmith), and was named for Peter Chardon Brook, who had been paper manufacturer in Andover and was financial backer of Abraham Marland's wool manufacturing enterprise.
This property was once a portion of the parcel of land of the former Brook - Marland house at 8 Book Street. That property was acquired by William S. Jenkins, builder, for $2135 which included the home and about 1 1/2 acres of land along the west side of Brook St. William Jenkins sold the lot at 12 Book St. to Frederick Hulme for $700. on on Dec. 7, 1885. The deed restriction included that Hulme "must build a suitable fence between his lot and William S. Jenkins property. It is not yet known if Hulme hired Jenkins to build his home. Frederick Hulme is owner-occupant in 'Town of Andover Real Estate Valuation for 1900'. The home remained in the Hulme family for 50 years.
The Lawrence Cooperative Bank acquired the property in 1936 via a mortgage deed and then sold to Michael F. & Alice C. Brennan on June 12, 1937. On July 29, 1955 the property was placed in Alice C. Brennan and her son Michael Elwood Brennan's names. Alice C Brennan died on September 20, 1976 and Michael Elwood Brennan inherited the property.
Michael Elwood Brennan and wife Shirley M. Brennan co-own on Feb. 7, 1977. On Sept. 17, 1986 the property is then placed with Shirley M. Brennan and their son Michael Edmund Brennan's names. Shirley M. Brennan later is sole owner in 1996 and sells the property to St. Mary's Church Society of Lawrence ( Saint Augustine's Church) on Nov. 5, 1997. The church held the property four years then selling to Salim R. & Jean Marie Tabit on Aug. 2, 2001.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser: 17 Dec 1853
Bessie Goldsmith - (early roads) 'Townswoman's Andover', 1964
Newman, Winthrop: "Abraham Marland's House One of Andover's Oldest" in 'Lawrence Eagle Tribune' Sat. 3 Oct 1964
Charlotte Helen Abbot: "Marland Family"
John Flint -
John Marland -
Parmiela Wood - Aug. 7, 1840 - b. 320 leaf 199 from Samuel Johnson Jr. - lot
Pameilia Wood - July 1, 1840 - b. 320 p. 277 lot with buildings from John Marland
Pamelia Wood estate
John Wood, Sally Low & Lucy Abbot -
Jacob Chickering - June 1, 1859 - b. 591 leaf 287
Lucy Abbot - Aug. 12, 1859 - b. 591 leaf 287
Moses Clement - Jan. 6, 1866 - b. 696 leaf 22
Trustees of Punchard Free School - Jan. 12, 1866 - b. 696 leaf 225 mtg.
Trustees of Punchard Free School - July 24, 1878 - b. 52 p. 111 poss. mtg dees
Millard Clement & Walter S. Donald - July 24, 1878 - b. 52 p. 418 - mtg deed assgn.
William S. Jenkins - Aug. 27, 1881 - b. 65 p. 516
Frederick Hulme - Dec. 7, 1885 - b. 84 p. 265 - lot of land - $700
Frederick Hulme estate, Albert E. Hulme, Extr. - Oct. 24, 1930 - b. 555 p. 564 Probate
Samuel P. Hulme - Oct. 24, 1930 - b. 555 p. 564
Lawrence Cooperative Bank - Dec. 1, 1936 - b. 603 p. 318 - mtg deed
Michael F. & Alice C. Brennan - June 12, 1937 - b. 607 p. 215
Alice C. Brennan and Michael Elwood Brennan - July 29, 1955 - b. 818 p. 140
Alice C Brennan estate, Michael Elwood Brennan, heir - Sept. 20, 1976
Michael Elwood & Shirley M. Brennan - Feb. 7, 1977 - b. 1302 p. 325
Shirley M. Brennan and Michael Edmond Brennan - Sept. 17, 1986 - b. 2306 p. 50
Shirley M. Brennan - Sept. 10, 1996 - b. 4594 p. 325
Saint Mary's Church Society of Lawrence - Nov. 5, 1997 - b. 4886 p. 262
Salim R. & Jean Marie Tabit - b. Aug. 2, 2001 - b. 6293 p. 2
|Street||R Main St|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Frederick Hulme House|
|Construction Date||1885 - 1886|
|Source||style - njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||barn razed (1971), 2002 vinyl siding, replacement windows, farmers porch enlarged|
|Acreage||0.279 acre; lot size: 12,150 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: 70'|
|Map and parcel||55-40|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 3/1/2016|