Other features: block with gable end to street; 1 1/2 story ell -- entablature and gable returns; ell has entry door & porch; small windows cut through entablature
approx. distance to street: 15', Simple but striking design; modern alterations (particularly new door unit)
Present owner: Bourdelais, Richard & Marilyn
Themes: Architectural, Community development
Historical significance: One of the earliest houses in neighborhood of mid 20th century development; The home was once owned by Walter S. Kendall, wife Abby M. in 1850. The Andover Valuation Schedule for West Parish District lists Walter S. Kendall's house $150, barn 100, and 12 acres of land $300, farm stock FS - $90. Walter took a small mortgage of $200 from John Webster in October 1852. Kendall died in 1857 and his estate was administered by George Foster through Probate court. The property was auctioned off on May 15, 1858. Walter's widow Abby M. Kendall purchased the property for $293.33 which included 14 acres 17 rods of land. The deeds refer to the Kendall homestead.
Abby held the property four years then sold to Artemas Hardy on May 12, 1862 for $600. Abby had moved to Broome County, NY by the time of sale. Artemas Hardy had owned for eleven years when he died at age 50 on Sept. 8, 1872. His estate was was also administered by George Foster and the farm was sold at auction in Sept. 1873. John F. B. Bailey purchased the property for $950. Bailey held the property about six months then sold to Charles N. Moulton on March 13, 1874.
The Moulton family held the property for 58 years. Charles N. Moulton was b. Jan. 1, 1844. His occupation varied through the years, Shoe cutter 1880, crayon artist in 1885, and in 1897 farmer. Charles acquired additional parcels of land. Charles and wife Elizabeth S. (Lovejoy) b. Oct. 23, 1845, had four children; Elizabeth "Lizzie" B. b. 1867, Charles W. b. Oct. 18, 1868, Frank W. b. Nov. 23, 1870, and Eddie G. b. 1874. Charles died on June 14, 1898 and is interred at West Parish Garden Cemetery. In 1902 the property was deeded to Charles' widow Elizabeth. The 1920 Assessors' Valuation lists the Moulton property; House & shed $700., barn $500, small house $300, and 23 acres of land $650.
Elizabeth L. Moulton died on Dec. 24, 1931 and her estate was settled on May 10, 1932. Elizabeth M. McDonnell, wife of Thomas of North Andover, and Isaiah R. Kimball, husband of Nellie F. of Andover were Moulton heirs. They sold to James H. Buss, wife Mary E. on May 13, 1932. Buss owned four years sell on Dec. 11, 1936 to George E. & Marie N. Morrison of North Reading.
Donald C. & Bernice M. Bassett were the next owners, purchasing the home in February 1941. Bernice died in April 1951 and Donald later remarried. In 1956 Bassatt divided up the property into separate house lots on Brown Street and Lowell St. The homestead lot #5 was sold to Andover Jem Realty Corp. on June 19, 1957. Lots #6, 7, 8, and 9 were also included with the sale. See Map plan #3326.
The homestead lot was then sold off to William L. & Ellen K. MacReynolds on Aug. 10, 1961. MacReynolds held the place for seven years, then the Andover Savings Bank, holding the mortgage deed sold to Raymond H. & Nancy L. Bourque in May 1968. Richard & Marilyn Bourdelais purchased the property on June 24, 1976 and continue, now 40 years, as owners of record in 2016.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan #3326 - lot 5 - June 1956 - D. Bassett
Walter S. Kendall, wife Abby M. -
John Webster - Oct. 27, 1852, rec. Dec. 13, 1853 - b. 487 leaf 47 - mtg.
Walter S. Kendall estate, George Foster, Adm. - Oct. 20, 1857 - Probate
Abigail "Abby" M. Kendall - May 15, 1858 - b. 578 leaf 255
Artemas Hardy - May 12, 1862 - b. 638 leaf 37
Artemas Hardy estate, George Foster Extr. - Sept. 2, 1873 - Probate
John F. B. Bailey - Sept. 30, 1873 - b. 24 p. 373
Charles N. Moulton, wife Elizabeth L. - Mar. 13, 1874 - b. 27 p. 78
Charles N. Moulton, wife Elizabeth -Apr. 1, 1890 - b. 105 p. 596-7 - West lot
Elizabeth L. Moulton - Nov. 17, 1902 - b. 228 p. 535
Elizabeth L. Moulton estate, Amy M. Somerville, Admx. - May 3, 1932 - b. 564 p. 420 probate
Elizabeth M. McDonnell and Isaiah R. Kimball - May 10, 1932 - heirs
James A. Buss - May 13, 1932 - b. 564 p. 421
George Edwin & Marie N. Morrison - Dec. 11, 1936 - b. 604 p. 347
Donald C. & Bernice M. Bassett - Feb. 10, 1941 - b. 638 p. 353
Bernice M. Bassett estate, heir Donald C. Bassett - April 1951
Donald C. Bassett, wife Lillian W. -
Andover Jem Realty Corp. - June 19, 1957 - b. 856 p. 273
William L. & Ellen K. MacReynolds - Aug. 10, 1961 - b. 941 p. 433
Andover Savings Bank - Feb. 28, 1968 - b. 1101 p. 399 - mtg. deed
Raymond H. & Nancy L. Bourque - May 10, 1968 - b. 1105 p. 459
Richard & Marilyn Bourdelais - June 24, 1976 - b. 1284 p. 671
|Place||Osgood District - West Andover|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Original Use||residence - farmhouse|
|Construction Date||1830 - 1860|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||none|
|Major Alterations||Main entry, facade windows, chimney, garage (mid 20th century)|
|Acreage||1.85 acres; approx. frontage: 60'|
|Map and parcel||212-3|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||25 Feb 1980, 6/4/2016|