This brick building with arches over the front windows, key stones, ornamental brick work was designed to blend with the architectural style of the former administration building across the street and the Shawsheen Village Georgian Revival buildings.
Themes: Agricultural, Architectural, Community development, Industry, Social/humanitarian
Original owner: American Woolen Company
Part of American Woolen Company, Shawsheen Village
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. The site is historically significant as it was the location of the first Mill building of business partners, John Smith, Joseph Faulkner and Warren Richardson. The mill was constructed in 1824 for the manufacture of cotton machinery. After the deaths of both John Smith's partners, John with his brother Peter Smith and friend John Dove switch over to flax production to linen threads in 1833, the first such mill in America under the name Smith-Dove Company. This later became the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co.
Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring.
The Shawsheen Creamery Building - Shawsheen Dairy and later Yankee Milk is in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1975 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
The Shawsheen Creamery at 7 Tantalon Rd. was built in 1922-23 to service the five American Woolen Company farms in West Andover. Two Ayrshire Dairies, Wild Rose Farm and the Clover Farm on Lowell Street, Shawsheen Stock Farm on Argilla Rd. and two farms on High Plain Rd. all managed by American Woolen Co., but owned by the Arden Trust of William Wood. Fresh milk was brought in, sterilized, bottled and then sold about 8000 bottles per day, to the residents of Shawsheen Village. They also supplied the Balmoral Spa, Shawsheen Manor and the Shawsheen Cafeteria with fresh milk, cream, butter, cheese and ice cream. This creamery also provided milk for the mill restaurant in Lawrence and adjacent communities,The building was constructed in the Georgian Revival style. The architects were most likely Adden & Parker of Boston. The Shawsheen Creamery enjoyed a successful business in this location.
This building is a later addition to the Shawsheen Village and was built about 1958 for the New England Milk Producers Association later the Yankee Milk Co. On Plan map #3511, surveyed in June 1957, the 13,190 square foot lot was the front lawn of the Shawsheen Creamery building now hidden behind the building.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the properties in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The American Woolen Co. however sold directly to Edward C. Williams the manager in of the Shawsheen Dairy from 1923 - 1935. On December 18, 1930, Edward Williams purchased the building and five months later the deed was placed with the Shawsheen Dairies, Inc. on May 15, 1931. Edward, wife Harriett and sons Edward C. Jr., Raymond C. and Russell lived in the Village, first at 50 York, then 2 Argyle before purchasing 102 Burnham Rd. Edward retired in 1935.
Thomas P. Kelley followed Williams as the Proprietor (1935-1940) of the Dairy. It is not known if the Great Depression had any effect on the milk business but in September 15, 1939 the Shawsheen Dairy took a $40,000 mortgage with the Arlington Trust Bank of Lawrence. Perhaps to upgrade the equipment.
Shawsheen Dairies, Inc. went Bankrupt in August of 1941. Martin Witte was named trustee of the estate assets. Edward Popell of Boston was engaged in the process on Aug. 18, 1941. The Shawsheen Dairies, Inc. Aug. 18, 1941, with permission from Arlington Trust, sold off all the milk processing equipment in the building to H.P. Hood & Sons, Inc. on Feb. 4, 1942 and striped the building of all equipment except what was specifically specified to remain. The deeds give a long list of what was sold and an insight as to the scope of the milk processing business. The building also included a lunchroom and soda counter where ice cream was sold to patrons.
The Creamery building was then sold to Helen C. Collins on May 18, 1942. The New England Milk Producers Association purchased the building on Feb. 18, 1943. Francis L. Foley, then District manager took over in 1943 - 1947. Francis and wife Ellen lived a 3 Yale St. John S. Adams of Wakefield followed Foley 1947-1950. Then S. Franklin McQuestion of No. Andover took over as manager in 1951.
New England Milk Producers Association then continued the milk processing and distribution center in the building. On Plan map #3511, surveyed in June 1957, the 13,190 square foot lot B, which had been once a lawn in front of the Shawsheen Creamery building, was purchased from Hardy Brush Corp. on July 30, 1957. The new office building was then constructed now #12 Haverhill Street.
New England Milk Producers Association later sold to Yankee Milk, Inc. of Connecticut, Louis P. Longo, Pres. on July 12, 1972 which included the new and old dairy buildings and the lot along Tantalon Rd. In the summer of 1977, Yankee Milk announced its plans to move the company to North Andover. The property was then sold to Agri-Mark, Inc. Paul Johnson, Pres. on July 16, 1980.
Agri-Mark is a Dairy Farmers Cooperative who markets member's milk and products. It continues in the region of New England and New York with four processing plants,
Agri-Mark and Cabot Cheese are two of the largest members. Two years later Augustine "Gus" P. Sheehey purchased the property on May 26, 1982.
Gus was one of eight business partners of the Shawsheen Village Commerce Partnership of Boston who then took ownership of the buildings on June 12, 1985. These included the two former milk buildings and the Hardy Brush Factory building at 16 Haverhill St. The Yankee milk building on Haverhill St. was renovated and leased.
Some tenants include;
Acupuncture of Andover, 10 Haverhill Street (1992)
Yang’s Matial Arts, 10 Haverhill Street (1992)
A Bible Church, Day Care Center
Bank of New England - 2015
The former Shawsheen Dairy Creamery building remains boarded up waiting for redevelopment.
See Area Form - Shawsheen - for a complete bibliography
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#708 - Nov. 1927 - AWCo.
Plan #826 - Sept. 1930 - Shawsheen Dairy - AWCo.
Plan #3511 - July 1957 - NE Milk Producers' Association Parcel A & B
Plan #9209 - Jan. 19, 1983 - Parcel C
John Smith & Peter Smith – Dec. 29, 1841 –b. 335 leaf 99
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. – July 1, 1864 - b. 677 leaf 259 Salem deed
Robert Braisford, General Degreasing Co. – July 21, 1902 – b. 197 p. 32
Beacon Trust Company. – Dec. 23, 1904 – b. 217 p. 80
Daniel C. Smith –Mar. 28, 1909 – b. 258 p. 446
Arlington National Bank – June 11, 1909 – b. 274 p. 565
James E. McGovern – July 17, 1909 – b. 275 p. 400 – mgt sale
Henry P. Binney, Trustee of A. W. Co. – Aug. 14, 1909 - b. 277 p. 310
American Woolen Co. of NJ - Feb. 15, 1916 - b. 361 p. 411
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. - Dec. 30, 1920 - b.435 p. 215
Edward C. Williams - Dec. 18, 1930 - b. 557 p. 35
Shawsheen Dairies, Inc. - May 15, 1931 - b. 559 p. 336
Arlington Trust - Sept. 15, 1939 - mtg.
Shawsheen Dairies, Inc, estate Bankrupt, Martin Witte, Trustee 1941
Edward Popell of Boston - Aug. 18, 1941 -
Shawsheen Daries, Inc. Aug. 18, 1941 - b. 644 p. 371
H.P. Hood & Sons, Inc. - Feb. 4, 1942 - b. 651 p. 307 - all equipment
Helen C. Collins - May 18, 1942 - b. 651 p. 314 - building
New England Milk Producers Association - Feb. 18, 1943 - b. 656 p. 119
Hardy Brush Corp. parcels A & B map #3511 to NE. Milk Producers Assoc.
New England Milk Producers Association - July 30, 1957 - b. 858 p. 458 - parcels A & B
IT Yankee Milk, Inc. of Connecticut, Louis P. Longo, Pres. - July 12, 1972 - b. 1197 p. 162 (3 parcels)
Agri-Mark, Inc. Paul Johnson, Pres. - July 16, 1980 - b. 1443 p. 254 -
Augustine P. Sheehey - May 26, 1982 - b. 1583 p. 190
Shawsheen Village Commerce Partnership of Boston - June 12, 1985 - b. 1986 p. 255
Union National Bank of Lowell,
F.D.I.C. Receiver of Bank of New England - July 31, 1986 - b. 2266 p. 199 -rec. 8/8/1986
Lease & Rental Management Corp. - Jan. 6, 1994 - b. 3956 p. 115
Windham Realty Limited Liability Co. - Nov. 22, 1994 - b. 4168 p. 210
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Yankee Milk Building of NE Milk Producers Association|
|Present Use||Bank of New England|
|Original Use||Shawsheen Creamery - Yankee Milk|
|Construction Date||1957 - 1958|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Georgian Revival|
|Wall/Trim||Brick on masonry|
|Major Alterations||Conversion to Bank building, former front entrance is now the drive up teller area and porte-cochere|
|Map and parcel||35-5|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 8/31/2015|