Side windows on entry like #23 Central St.
Themes - Architectural, Community development and Education.
Built for Jonathan Clement, 1st assistant teacher, Phillips Academy, from 1819 -1829. He was licensed to keep boys as boarders 1821-1828. Clement sold the house for $3300. to Trustees of Phillips Academy on Dec. 1, 1829. The deed was recorded on April. 5, 1830. The deed notes "on the west side of the road leading from the Theological Institution to the Rev. M. Badgers Meeting house". Rev. Milton Badger was the minister of of the South Parish Church from Jan. 3, 1828 - Oct. 4, 1835. The property contained 3 acres 90 rods of land. To the rear of the home was a large barn.
Behind the house, along the north side of Old Campus Rd. stood a row of five wooden buildings called the "English Commons", where Phillips Academy students in the Scientific or English Departments were housed. They were constructed in 1836 and were the same design used fro the Latin Commons built along the north side Phillips St. in 1834.
Teachers from the Andover Theological Seminary were also housed here. All removed by 1906. James Eaton, P.A. math instructor lived here before building his home on Bartlet St. His son, George T. Eaton, also a Phillips instructor was born here.
Mrs. Noyes occupied early 1860's and boys who boarded here said she "set a good table". Mr. Paradise kept boys dorm, 1880's. Major William Marland had a "beanery" and rooming house for students in the 1890's called "The Majors". Marland's boarding house was "probably the most famous, or notorious, boarding house" of the 12 pictured in the first Phillips Academy Year Book the "Masque" in 1893.
George H. French and George L. Follansbee - later occupants - 1945.
With the merger of Abbot & Phillips Academies on June 2, 1973, Clement House became a girls dormitory. Today it houses three separate apartment units as faculty housing.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Fuess, Claude: An Old New England School, History of Phillips Academy, 1917
(Town of Andover: Real Estate Valuation 1900)
Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts, 1990 by Robert A. Domingue
Jonathan Clements - 1829
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Dec. 1, 1829 - b. 256 leaf 68 - rec. Apr. 3, 1830
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Clement, Jonathan House|
|Present Use||Phillips Academy housing|
|Original Use||faculty residence, boys dorm.|
|Construction Date||early 19th century|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||carriage house at rear|
|Major Alterations||doorway has been altered|
|Map and parcel||56-5|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|