This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 were
This house lot was sold by the American Woolen Co, William M. Wood, president, to Alexander M. Wallace on July 27, 1923. Alexander Wallace was the brother of George M. Wallace, who was the private secretary of William M. Wood. George Wallace managed all of Wood's affairs when dealing with Shawsheen Village. George lived at "Aberfoyle" at #300 North Main St. next to the Wood home "Arden".
Alexander Wallace and wife Alice J. would deed the property to George Wallace on May 31, 1924. George then deeds all his property to his wife Agnes on Nov. 8, 1924.
The property was sold to Irene M. Robinson on March 12, 1937. Robinson owns foe 10 years then sells to Ellsworth H. & Hilda G. Lewis on Sept. 12, 1947. Lewis b. 1899 was a contractor and Hilda b. 1900 a housewife.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52
Homestead Association -
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Alexander M. Wallace, wife Alice J. - July 27, 1923 - b. 481 p. 207
Alexander M. Wallace, wife Alice J. - Dec. 10, 1923 - b. 493 p. 450 - lot of land
George M. Wallace - May 31, 1924 - b. 503 p. 49
George M. & Agnes Wallace - Nov. 8, 1924 - b. 505 p. 97 parcel 1
Irene M. Robinson - Mar. 12, 1937 - b. 605 p. 552 - parcel 1
Ellsworth H. & Hilda G. Lewis - Sept. 12, 1947 - b. 732 p. 459
Kenneth & Egle D. Pedini - June 25, 1971 - b. 1173 p. 719
Kenneth Pedini - Aug. 12, 1991 - b. 3306 p. 149
William C. & Elizabeth A. OHeaney - May 6, 1999 - b. 5425 p. 120
James R. Gregorie - Oct. 13, 2005 - b. 9823 p. 21
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Construction Date||1923 - 1924|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Roof||gable - tile|
|Map and parcel||51-202|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1980 - 6/30/2015|