NRDIS NRMRA LHD
Style: Late Greek Revival
Themes: Architectural, Community development
This home and property was once owned by the Ballard Vale Company of Andover, J. P. Bradlee Treasurer in 1844. The property was sold to Andrew Scott for $500. on June 4, 1844. The deed is interesting as it states convey "the house and land where he (Andrew Scott) now resides." The deed boundaries only mention on the road from Scott's home to Levi Davis, Elijah Crowthis, Company land, the French lot to Ann Irvnes from the main house of Scott to the road. At this point the Boston & Main Rail Road had yet to be located through Ballardvale at the current site and the Ballardvale Mills had not laid out the streets in the 1847 Darracott map. Scott Street, now a paper street, would have been a western boundary of the property and most likely was a cart path down to an ice house. The 1847 map shows a Bardwell & Barker and two structures, one on lot #44 and the other on lot #45. The Scott home is clearly marked on this location in 1847.
Andrew Scott was born on April 10, 1800 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Andrew married on Nov. 9, 1818 at Gorbals, Scotland to Jannette (Janet) Morrison b. 1800 daughter of Alexander & Jannette (Jane) Morrison. They immigrated to the US arriving in Boston on Aug. 8, 1827. Andrew came to Andover an worked for John Marland as a Flannel Manufacturer. Andrew became a naturalized citizen on Oct. 7, 1836 at the US District Court of Boston. John Marland & Joseph T. Abbot were both character witnesses for Scott's application. Scott leased the home from the Ballardvale Mill Company until he purchased it in 1844.
Scott and Jannette had seven children; James b. Scotland, Andrew b. Scotland, Joseph and Jesse Morrison twins b. 1824 Scotland, bpt. July 21, 1839, and Archibald b. Dec. 15, 1828, Robert b. July 21, 1830, William B. b. May 26, 1834 in Andover, MA. The 1850 census has Andrew as a Manufacturer, Jannette, sons Archibald 21, Willaim 15 also working in the mill, Joseph & Jessie age 13 and Jane Morrison, Mother-in-law age 75. Andrew Scott died on Dec. 13, 1850 of Apoplexy. His sons would inherit the estate in 1852. In a unique indenture deed the sons leased the home to their mother Jannette for one cent annually for the remainder of her life.
Daughter Jessie (Jane) Morrison married Hector Linn, intention Sept. 29, 1848. Jessie died three years later on Dec. 26, 1851 at age 26 of dysentery. She died 500 miles west of Panama. James married Catherine Sloane of Cambridge, MA int. Nov. 14, 1849. James had moved to Cottonwood Falls, Kansas at the time of his mother's death in 1872.
Jannette would continue to live in the home. In the 1860 census she is listed at 59 and runs a boarding house. The 1870 census list Jannette 69, James Scott 33, carpenter and Jennet M. Scott age 16. Jannette M. died of consumption on Oct. 18, 1872 and is interred at Christ Church Cemetery with Andrew.
The remaining heirs then sell the property to son and Uncle Joseph Scott in June 1873.
When Joseph Scott died, in his will he provided a three year tenancy for Kate Mears. Kate later waived the unexpired portion of her time and the property was then sold by the Executor of Joseph Scott's estate to Henry J. Gardner, wife Abby E. in December 1894. The Gardner family occupied the home for 38 years. With the death of Henry Gardner in 1932 the property was sold to Elven W. & Aurilla E. Gilfoy on Oct. 22, 1932 in two separate deeds, one from the estate and the other from Ethel G. Anderson.
Gilfoy owned for nine years then selling to Robert C. & Geraldine C. Mitchell on Sept. 3, 1941. The Mitchell family have been the stewards of the property for 64 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
National Register of Historic Places certificate
Ballardvale Mill Company, J. P. Bradlee Treas. - 1844
Andrew Scott - June 4, 1844 - b. 343 leaf 298
Andover Scott estate, widow Jannette M. - 1850 - Probate to heirs
Scott heirs, James, Andrew Archibald, and Robert Scott - 1852 Probate
Jannette M. Scott - April 10, 1852 - b. 458 leaf 266 - Indenture deed
Joseph Scott - June 20, 1873 - b. 24 p. 258
Joseph Scott, from Scott heirs - Jan. 1874 - b. 26 pgs. 225-231
Joseph Scott estate, Felix G. Haynes Extr. - Dec. 1894 - B. 137 p. 293
Kate Mears - Nov. 15, 1894 - rec. Jan. 28, 1895 - quit claim right of tennancy
Henry J. Gardner, wife Abbie E. - Dec. 1894 - b. 137 p. 293
Henry J. Gardner estate, James G. Anderson Extr. - Oct. 17, 1932 - Probate #174071
Ethel G. Anderson, wife of James G. - Oct. 22, 1932 - deed two
Elven W. & Aurilla E. Gilfoy - Oct. 22, 1932 - b. 567 p. 53 and 54 - two deeds
Robert C. & Geraldine C. Mitchell - Sept. 3, 1941 - b. 644 p. 501
Geraldine C. Mitchell estate, Robert C. heir - June 15, 1964 - Probate
Robert C. Mitchell estate, Robert Bradford Mitchell Adm. - 2004 Probate
Lawrence, C. Mitchell - Mar. 3, 2004 - b. 8757 p. 216
Lawrence C. Mitchell & Laurie Maclean Vargas - Apr. 9, 2005 - b. 9466 p. 335
Lawrrence C. Mitchell & Peter & Laurie Maclean Vargas - Sept. 30, 2005
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Andrew & Jannette Scott House|
|Construction Date||ca 1840s|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||shed razed (1972)|
|Acreage||0.75 acre; lot size: 0.75 acres; approx. frontage: 155'|
|Map and parcel||157-45|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/1/2016|