Style: Shingle style - Colonial Revival
Other features: nice stonework in porch
Themes: Architectural, Community Development
Wolcott Avenue was laid out in March 1902 by engineer John E. Smith Map #96. It is said to have been named for Governor Roger Wolcott former Lt. Governor 1893-1897 and then Gov. from 1897-1900. The street had 29 house lots and was a portion of the 25 acre Samuel B. Locke estate at 70 Elm St. The farm extended down to Maple Ave and was bounded by Walnut and Elm Streets. Anne H. Locke, wife of Samuel B., held the deed on Apr. 12, 1876. Anne sold off some of the first lots on the Ave before naming her daughter Florence M. Locke her Trustee on June 2, 1909. Florence then had charge of selling the remaining house lots. Annie and Florence had life tenancy in the Locke homestead at 70 Elm St.
All the deeds came with restrictions. Only one home per lot, either single or a two family. The home had to cost at least $3000 above the foundation. The cost was later raised to $3500. A set back of 30’ from the street and all garages in the rear of the property. By the 1920’s they restricted one story bungalows.
Wolcott Ave has a diverse mix of styles including modified Queen Anne, Shingle style craftsman, Bungalow craftsman, Four Square, Colonial Revival and Dutch Colonial homes.
This parcel "lots #25 & #26 were purchased by John McCarthy on Apr. 8, 1907. John McCarthy was born in Co. Cork, Ireland on Nov. 1, 1857, son of Dennis and Mary (Mahaney) McCarthy. John was a Stone Mason. John married on Sept. 20, 1883 at St. Augustine's Church to Catherine Kelly b. May 10, 1867 in Galway, Ireland, dau. of John & Mary (Naughton) Kelly. John & Catherine had eight children of which five survived to adulthood. Mary E. b. June 1, 1884 -d. Mar. 10, 1907, Agnes b. 1886, Joseph R. b. June 9, 1889, Timothy H. b. Feb. 27, 1890 - d. Feb. 17, 1905, George F. b. Jan. 15, 1892 - d. Apr. 25, 1895, Florence b. 1895, and Henry George Francis & Lillian Margaret twins b. Apr. 1, 1897. This home was built for John and he may have had a hand in the fine stonework of the exterior chimney and the front and side porch foundation. The 1910 Census lists the McCarthy family at 12 Wolcott Ave. [Winthrop Ave in error] At this time his son Joseph, age 22, was also a stone mason and Francis "Frank" would also take his father's occupation.
John McCarthy died on Dec. 3, 1915 of gastric hemorrhage from stomach cancer. His widow Catherine died on Feb. 9, 1918. The Estate went to the remaining children. In 1920 daughter Agnes McCarthy 34 is listed as Head, Joseph, 31, Frank 22, and Lillian 22 all share the home. Agnes is a Milliner in a shop, Joseph & Frank contractors and Lillian a teacher. In the 1930 Census Joseph heads the house, with Frank and his wife Mary C. and their young son Francis G. age 1y 4m. Joseph died in 1935 and Frank became heir. Francis G. H. McCarthy died in 1958 and his widow Mary C. McCarthy, heir then sells the McCarthy homestead in 1960 after 53 years of ownership.
Thomas E. & Rosemary A. Duff purchased the house on Oct. 14, 1960. Thomas Duff came to Andover in June 1959 as our first official Town Manager. Duff served six years in office and was replaced by Richard Bowen in 1965. Duff's term in office saw the construction of Sanborn School, planning for a new high school and the proposal of Urban Renewal to our Downtown that would have, if passed, demolished nearly half the buildings on Main St., Barnard and Park. It was defeated at town meeting.
James K. & Villa H. Tweedie purchased the house from Duff on Aug, 19, 1966.
Present owner: Lattanzio, Dale & Laura (10 May 1974)
1. McCarthy, Mary C. Ev'r. 1958
2. Duff, Thomas E. & Rosemary (14 Oct5 1960)
3. Tweedie, James K. & Vil?a H. (9 Aug 1966)
12 Wolcott – 38-214 - Lot 25 & 26 - 0.3028 acre – 8800 sq. ft.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See plans #96 - Sam. B. Locke Estate - Mar. 25, 1902
Samuel B. Locke - Nov. 1, 1861 - b. 629 leaf 251
Charles O. Cummings - Nov. 16, 1871 - b. 12 p. 282
Anne H. Locke, wife of Samuel B. - Apr. 12, 1876 - b. 40 p. 37
John McCarthy – Apr. 8, 1907 – b. 244 p. 395
John McCarthy estate - June 6, 1916
Legatees, daughters Agnes C. McCarthy and Lillian Buckley – Probate
Francis G. H. McCarthy & Joseph J. McCarthy – Aug. 28, 1928 – b. 542 p. 20
Francis G. H. McCarthy & Joseph J. McCarthy – Jan. 29, 1930 – b. 553 p. 474 – 2nd lot
Florence E. Gallarane – b. 542 p. 364 – half share
Joseph J. McCarthy estate, Francis G. H. McCarthy – May 16, 1936 – b. 598 p. 126
Francis G. H. McCarthy estate, wid. Mary C. – probate #259,362
Thomas E. & Rosemary A. Duff – Oct. 14, 1960 – b. 924 p. 350
James K. & Villa H. Tweedie –Aug, 19, 1966 – b. 1066 p. 392
Dale R. & Laura O. Lattanzio – May 10, 1974 – b. 1240 p. 516
Kenneth & Barbara Schroeder – Oct. 12, 1985 – b. 2064 p. 322
Cynthia L. & Randall Lilly Mar. 30, 1989 – b. 2907 p. 329
Mark S. & Meghan L. S. Kristiansen – date- b. 9150 p. 17
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||John & Catherine McCarthy House|
|Construction Date||1907 - 1910|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Major Alterations||shed (1967); remodeled interior (1968)|
|Acreage||0.3028 acre 17,540 sq. ft.;|
|Map and parcel||38-214|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 4/22/2018|