120-122 North Main Street

Architectural Description: 

Ranch style

Historical Narrative: 

Themes: Architectural, community development, industry.
122 North Main St. “Smeltzer House” built 1987

This parcel of land was once part of the Capt. Low estate #70 No. Main St. It was sold on June 16, 1881 by Mary A. & Emily Low, daughters of Capt. Low, to Mary Holland & Anna Buckley, wife of John J. Buckley. They paid $750 for the 3/4 acre at the extreme northern end of the Low property.
On Feb. 29, 1896 the land was sold to Dennis Sweeney II. The ¾ acre triangular lot contained the current house lots of 112-114 and 122 & 124 North Main Street. Sweeney sub-divided the parcel and sold to John McCarthy in 1896. Dennis Sweeney, a blacksmith, was living across the street at #143 North Main St. with John Sweeney.
The small remaining triangular lot next to the bridge was retained by the Sweeney and his family heirs until 1984.
The McCarthy family then had built two identical two family tenement houses at 112-114 and 120-122 North Main Street. It appears the lot was divided in 1921 by McCarthy to Buttrick and 120-122 became a separate lot at that time.

Early tenants; 1908 Joseph W. Fraize a carpenter, is wife and children, Eliza J. & Joseph Jr. employed at Smith & Dove Co., and son George W. a laborer.

Edward & Kathleen Smeltzer purchased the property in 1972 and began renovations to the two family home.
On December 9, 1986 the house was destroyed by an electrical fire. The Smeltzer family then had a mobile home placed on the site until the town would allow construction of a new house to begin. Smeltzer purchased the prefabricated modular ranch style house from a Nashua, NH company. The house arrived in two sections at the site on June 11, 1987 on two flat bed trucks. It was then moved onto the new foundation by crane and sits on the original footprint of the former two-family home.

124 North Main Street “Sweeney Triangle Lot”
The vacant parcel next door, once part of a ¾ acre triangular lot, extends to the bridge and was retained by the Sweeney family heirs until 1984. Sold by Edith Sweeney and sister Miriam Sweeney McArdle, (Andover’s well known and respected music teacher), to Larry & Nancy Larson in July 1984. Larson sold to Paul & David Sampson in Dec. 1987. The parcel was then purchased by Robert & Loretta Cavagnaro in 1998 and annexed to their property deed when they sold their home at #96 North Main St. to Stonewake Acquisitions LLC in Mar. 27, 2006. The lot is now retained as part of the condo conversion of #96 and used as additional off street parking.

Bibliography/References: 

Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Townsman - AT
Andover Street Directories

Owners;
Joseph L. Low estate - 1820 - bk. 223 leaf 227 Salem Deeds
Lucy L Low, & Emily Low - July 31, 1873 - bk. 22 pg. 273
Lucy L. Low mortgage - Jan. 14, 1874 - bk. 25 pg. 184 - discharged
Mary Holland & Anna Buckley - June 16, 1881 - bk. 65 pg. 350
Dennis Sweeney II - Feb. 29, 1896 - bk. 145 pg. 524 land
John McCarthy - June 8, 1896 - bk. 162 pg. 550 land
Estate of John McCarthy; heirs - Joseph J. McCarthy, Frank G., Gillian M., & Agnes McCarthy
Frank A. Buttrick - June 4, 1921 - bk. 440 pg. 539 part of lot.
Louis & Bessie Kimball - Jan. 14, 1922 - bk. 463 pg. 240 part of lot.
Mathilde Kimball Levine- Jan. 14, 1922 - bk. 453 pg. 240
Joseph M. Kimball - June 1, 1954 - bk. 792 pg. 337
Joseph M. & Rita L. Kimball - Jan. 31, 1964 - bk. 1003 pg. 265
Herbert & Ina Archibald - Nov. 25, 1964 - bk. 1023 pg. 233 probate
Edward A. & Kathleen Smeltzer - Jan. 7, 1972 - bk. 1186 pg. 344
Kathleen Smeltzer - Oct. 18, 1993 - bk. 3866 pg. 205
Madhu Malwal - May 9, 1995 - bk. 4276 pg. 123
Madhu & Kishori Malwal - Jan. 21, 1997 - bk. 4676 pg. 302

Inventory Data:

StreetNorth Main St
PlaceAndover Center
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameSmeltzer House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence - 2 family
Construction Date1987
SourceERDS, ENRDL
Architectural StyleOther
Foundationconcrete
Wall/Trimwood shingles
Roofasphalt
Major Alterations1987 new house moved to lot
Conditiongood
Moved?Yes
Move DetailsJune 11, 1987 modular home
Acreage9,854 sq. ft.; approximate frontage 76'.
Settingresidential/commerical
Map and parcel38-35
MHC NumberANV.684
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, Sept. 13, 2014

Images: 

Map: