123 1/2 Main Street

Architectural Description: 

Style: Picturesque
Dormers are a Gothic Revival element minus the gingerbread embellishment.
Other features: Steep gabled dormers; wooden high-peaked structure;

Historical Narrative: 

Themes: Architectural, Community development

Historical significance:
Phillips Academy fraternity house, PAE Club House was built by Ovid Chapman for the PA boys secret societies in the early 1880s. Originally built on the NW corner of Main and Morton Street, it was moved to rear of #125 at the time the new PAE house was built in 1892 at #131
July 8, 1892 Andover Townsman - "O. Chapman intends making alterations in his property on the corner of Main and Morton Streets. The club house directly on the corner is to be moved to the Hazen lot in the rear of the tennis court, and a new one built in its place."
July 22, 1892 AT "The club house belonging to O. Chapman, at the corner of Main & Morton Streets, has been moved to the rear of his store building. It was moved by Geo. Wilson last Friday (July 15) night, as it was necessary to wait until the electric cars had stopped running in order to cut the wires and get the building around them. Work on the new house on the corner is already underway. Hardy & Cole having the contract to build it.

Pi Alpha Epsilon - PAE was not a secret society by founded in the late 1870's for "literary purposes and was intended as a reward of merit. Dr. Bancroft used the founding to conduct an experiment which led to his philosophy change from "elimination" to "regulation". This was their first clubhouse, then moved into the new one at #131. In 1908 PAE built their own brick house south of the Bell Tower and Newman House on Main Street now known as Cooley House.

This house is now a single family residence which is currently owned by the Davidson family who own 125-127 Main St. and is used as rental income property. This house was once the residence of Leon & Agnes Davidson when they first acquired the property in 1925-26.
See #974.451 ANA Andover

Bibliography/References: 

National Register of Historic Places
Andover Historic Building survey
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Phillips Academy Andover Massachusetts, Robert A. Domingue, 1990

Owners;
James H. Cochran – 1840’s lot
George E. Pike - May 16, 1845 – b. 351 leaf 3 Salem deeds
Willard Pike – Sept. 23, 1870 – b. 3 p. 594 – lot mtg.
Willard Pike – Aug. 22, 1877 – b. 48 p. 40 deed -$2000.
Samuel H. Boynton – Aug. 14, 1880 – b. 61 p. 125
Harriet N. Pike – Aug. 17, 1880 – b. 61 p. 126 -
John L. H. Staples – Apr. 9, 1885 – b 80 p. 342 - $6500.
Rose A. Chapman – Aug. 28, 1885 – b. 82 p. 403 - $7000.
Rose A. Chapman Estate – March 28, 1937 probate # 187892
Harriet (Hattie) Chapman – Mar. 1937 by will of mother Rose
See Map 617 for Rose A. Chapman Apr. 1925.
John Dagdigian & Agnes Davidson – Sept. 22, 1925 – b. 516 p. 345
Agnes Davidson – July 13, 1926 – b. 524 p. 289 - release parcel 1
Agnes Davidson – Jan 5, 1927 – b. 529 p. 65 - release parcel 2
L. John & Martia L. Davidson – Dec. 16, 1965 b. 1050 p. 332 – 3 parcels
L. John Davidson – Mar. 9, 1973 – b. 1213 p. 590
Davidson Real Estate – L. John Davidson
Victor L. Hatem – May 11, 1978 – b. 1338 p. 781 Judgment
Charles L. Davidson – Aug. 16, 1978 - b. 1348 p. 119
Charles L. Davidson – Nov. 24, 1981 – b. 1558 p. 276
Davidson Daughters Nominee Trust – Nov. 15, 2002 b. 7342 p. 240
Davidson Daughters Nominee Trust – Jan. 28, 2003 b. 7483 p. 258
Charles L. Davidson – July 12, 2006 – b. 10282 p. 36

Inventory Data:

StreetMain St
PlaceAndover Center
Historic DistrictMain/Locke Streets NRH District
Historic NamePAE House
Present Useresidence
Original UsePhillips Academy Fraternity House
Construction Date1870s
SourceENRD - Lawrence, MA
Architectural StyleGothic Revival
Architect/BuilderOvid Chapman
Foundationstone
Wall/Trimclapboards/vinyl covered
Roofasphalt
Major AlterationsMoved to site from #131 Main St 1892 Right of Way called Chapman Court in deeds.
Conditiongood
Moved?Yes
Move Details1892
Acreageless than one acre; approx. 1/4 acre
Settingresidential/commerical
Map and parcel40-13
Recorded byStack/Mofford; James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Historical Commission
Date entered1975-1977; 3/2014

Images: 

Map: