123 Main Street

Architectural Description: 


Style: Shingle style

Other features: gambrel roof, tower and dormer.

Historical Narrative: 

Original owner:
Ovid & Rose Chapman
Themes: Architectural, Community development
Historical significance:
AUV House - Secret Society House for Phillips Academy boys
Also known as Andover Studio;

The property was once part of the Nathan W. Hazen Estate at 111 Main Street which extended from Locke Street to Morton Street. John H. & Frances A. Flint purchased the Hazen property in 1888 and began to divide the former estate into house lots which spurred development on both Locke Street and southward along Main Street.

This structure was built by Chapman and is said to have been built as a residence and clubhouse for Phillips Academy Secret Society AUV House. Auctotitas, Unitas, Veritas. AUV Society was the result of merging ODA and Delta Tau Delta Societies about 1877. The societies were first banned by the Academy. The Society rented here from 1894 until 1915 when they built a new brick house on Wheeler Ave. now called "Graham House".

The Andover Art Studio was once at this location and Leonard Sherman's photo business "Andover Artist Studio" was located here. Sherman later built a home and studio across the street on Chapman Ave in 1902. Sherman was a talented artist, photographer, and amateur actor as part of the Barnstormer's Club in Andover. Leonard is also attributed with refining the Andover Town Logo Seal from the William Harnden Foster's design accepted by the town in 1903. Sherman's Indian sports the full Plains Indian headdress.

In 1943 Francis is listed as the proprietor of the Andover Artist Studio and is living here. In 1946 Francis & Gertrude Cookson purchased the property and used it as their private home. Francis was a photographer and may have continued his studio here. He was born in 1904, wife Gertrude b. 1915. Two sons are also listed in 1962, Kenneth F. Jerome C.

The building was purchased in 1970 by L. John Davidson and was converted into apartments.


National Register of Historic Places
Essex Northern Registry Deeds
Phillips Academy Andover Massachusetts, Robert A. Domingue, 1990

Nathan W. Hazen estate - land
John H. & Frances A. Flint 1888 - lot of land
Rose A. Chapman - Dec. 1, 1888 - b. 98 p. 515 lot
Rose A. Chapman estate, died March 29, 1937
Harriet (Hattie Chapman) - probate #187892
Beatrice J. Bruce - Mar. 1, 1938 - b. 614 p. 200
Beatrice J. Brice Trust; Dana T. Gallup & Hattie Chapman trustees - Mar. 1, 1938 - b. 614 p. 201
Edwin W. Hadley et al - Trustees of Morton Real Estate Trust
Francis R. & Gertrude M. Cookson - Apr 22, 1946 - b. 683 p. 160
L. John Davidson - Aug. 11, 1970 - b. 1157 P. 330
Charles L. Davidson - Aug. 11, 1978 - b. 1348 p. 114
H. William Gurry - Feb. 13, 1979 - b. 1363 p. 363

See Plan #617 Aug. 1, 1925 – Dana W. Clark for Rose Chapman
Andover Townsman- Jun. 13, 1902 Photographer Leonard Sherman's Studio opening.

Inventory Data:

StreetMain St
PlaceAndover Center
Historic DistrictMain/Locke Streets NRH District
Historic NameAUV House - Andover Art Studio
Present Useresidence - 4 apartments
Original UseArt Studios
Construction Date1890
SourceENRD - Lawrence, MA
Architectural StyleShingle
Foundationstone & granite
Wall/Trimasbestos shingles
Major Alterationsapartments (1973)
Acreageless than one acre; Lot size: 5,850 sq.ft.; Approx. frontage: 58'
Map and parcel40-14
MHC NumberANV.342
Recorded byStack/Mofford (cwo), James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975 - 1977, 3/2014