Georgian with Queen Anne additions (bay windows, porch, stained glass window); several rambling wings.
Present owner AJM Construction, LLC
Themes: Architectural, community development.
Very good example of architectural evolution of a farmhouse. Small, compact scale with sympathetic Victorian additions. Much of original setting still intact. Early farmhouse in neighborhood of mid - 20th century development.
Samuel Bailey born Nov. 14, 1728 in Bradford, MA, married Hannah Kitteridge b. 1734 and had five children: Dorothy b. 1756, James b. 1857 Hannah b. 1760, Levi b. 1766 and Samuel Bailey b. Aug. 1, 1768. Samuel Bailey fought and died at the Battle of Bunker Hill on June 17, 1775 and is buried at Bunker Hill Cemetery in Charlestown, MA. His widow Hannah died on Oct. 30, 1780.
Their son Samuel married Sally Trull of Tewksbury on Feb. 13, 1794. Samuel & Sally would have eleven children: Samuel 2n b. Mar. 14, 1795 in Andover, Sally b. Nov. 28, 1796, Phineas b. June 24, 1800, Esther b. Jun. 3, 1802, Arethusa b. May 21, 1803, Roderick b. Jan. 1, 1805, Omar b. Sept. 4, 1806, Eliza b. Apr. 10, 1808, Clarinda b. Sept. 15, 1810, John Trull b. July 12, 1812, Alvah Wyman b. Mar. 1, 1815.
It appears that Samuel & Sally Bailey first purchased 5 acres of land in the Bailey Rd. area on Mar. 18, 1790 from Moses Stickney Jr. on Mar. 18, 1790. Samuel acquired five more parcels, including pasture and woodland lots. A 26 acre lot on the road from James Hardy’s land, with buildings was purchased from William Bailey, wife Rebecca, on Apr. 14, 1804. These deeds were recorded in May 1812. Samuel was a yeoman, or farmer and took a mortgage of $3000. from the Ministerial Fund of South Parish on June 1, 1812. The property contained his homestead lot and 86 acres of land. $1000. was due the following June. The mat. was discharged on May 15, 1831 for $132.94. Samuel had died intestate on July 8, 1831 and is interred in the Tewksbury Cemetery. His widow Sally, administered his estate through probate court. Her son Samuel 2nd, purchased a 5 acre parcel known as the “Granny Bailey lot”at auction on Nov. 26, 1831 for $61.31, a portion of a larger parcel that was set off for Sally as her dower.
Samuel, the oldest child, would continue working the farm. Samuel married on Dec. 6, 1823 in Tewksbury to Prudence Farmer b. Jan. 15, 1797. They had four children: Samuel Gilman b. June 7, 1827, Charles Kimball b. June 9, 1830, John Brown b. Nov. 15, 1832 and Abbie Orilla b. Dec. 1, 1837. The 1850 Andover Valuation Schedule lists Samuel 2nd farm; House $350, barn & shed $150 83 acres adjoining build & pasturing $3155., Farm Stock $292.
Prudence Bailey died on Aug. 27, 1866 and Samuel died Sept. 9, 1872. Both are also interred at Tewksbury Cemetery. Son Samuel Gilman Bailey, once a shoemaker, then farmer, ran the very successful Shady Side Grove on Haggetts Pond, later named Bailey’s Grove. He lived at 381 Lowell St.
The Bailey farm went to brother John Brown Bailey b. Nov. 15, 1832. John married on Dec. 10, 1857 to Harriet R. Smith b. Oct. 1839. John B. & Harriet had two sons: Frank Ellsworth b. May 18, 1862 and George Samuel b. April 7, 1868 in Andover. Sadly George died of Diphtheria at age 8 year on Dec. 19, 1876. Frank E. would later inherit the farm he worked with his father. John B. Bailey died in Sept. 1911.
Frank E. Bailey married in 1906 to Bertha Amanda Chandler b. June 30, 1861. Both John B. and son Frank were truck farmers, growing produce for the city markets. Frank & Bertha had one son Chandler Bailey born Oct. 9, 1906. Chandler would continue the family business. Frank E. died on Jan.2, 1941 and his estate was inherited by his wife Bertha. Bertha would quit claim deed to their son Chandler in July 1948. Bertha died in 1952 at age 91 of pneumonia, contracted after cataract surgery.
Chandler Bailey married in 1930 to Ruth Miller Baxter b. June 15, 1910 at 9 Lowell St. dau. of George & Margaret (Miller) Baxter. Ruth grew up at 43 Lowell St. They had three daughters, Shirley, Marilyn and Phyllis and a son Chandler Bailey Jr.. Chandler Sr. died on Nov. 2, 1964 and his wife and children inherited the property. Daughters Shirley Young, wife of Allen, Marilyn R. Gordon, wife of Edgar W. and Phyllis Toomey, wife of John P. Jr. quit claim to their mother Ruth who later sells the Bailey farm to Stig G. & Irene L. H. Larson on March 10, 1966. Larson owned for nine years then selling to James & Kristin (Witman) Clarke on Jan. 7, 1975. The Clarke family were owners for 44 years and did several renovations during their time here. In 2018 they explored the idea of protecting the home through a Special Dimensional Permit that would allow the sale property and adjacent pasture land for development and prevent demolition of the homestead.
The Clarks sold to AJM Contstruction LLC, Arnold J. Martel Mgr. on June 5, 2018 and the property was subdivided in Jan. 30, 2019. One barn was razed for the new road and the homestead was sold to Lisa A Kempa & Whitney P. Stewart-Cencemi on Sept. 3, 2019.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan #5436 - Dec. 1965 - Chandler Bailey estate
Ancestry.com – Bailey family
(Preservation Deed – June 11, 2019 rec. Aug. 23, 22, 2019 – b. 15969 p.156 – AJM Contstruction LLC, Arnold J. Martel Mgr. – Map #17943 Jan. 30, 2019 sub-division
William Bailey -
Samuel Bailey, wife Sally – Apr. 14, 1804 b. 197 leaf. 12 -rec. 5/9/1812 – 26 acres
Samuel Bailey estate, wife Sally Admin. – Oct. 18, 1831 – Probate rec. 1/29/1834
Sally Bailey - Oct. 18, 1831 – Probate
Samuel Bailey 2nd, wife Prudence –Jan. 29, 1834 – b. 274 leaf 275 - 5 acre Granny Bailey lot
Samuel Bailey estate, heir Frank E. – Sept. 9, 1872 -
Frank E. & Bertha A. Bailey -
Frank E. Bailey estate, Bertha Bailey heir - Jan. 2, 1941 - Probate #198946
Chandler & Ruth M. Bailey - July 2, 1948 - b. 712 p. 407
Chandler Bailey estate, Ruth M., Shirley Young, Marilyn Gordon, Phyllis Toomey - Nov. 2, 1964 - Probate
Ruth M. Bailey - Dec. 4, 1964 - b. 1048 p. 400
Stig G. & Irene L. H. Larson - Mar. 10, 1966 - b. 1055 p. 434
James F. & Kristin W. Clarke - Jan. 7, 1975 - b. 1254 p. 375
Kristin W. Clarke - June 25, 1976 - b. 1285 p. 85
Clarke Realty Trust, Aug. 28, 1998 - b. 5163 p. 8
AJM Contstruction LLC, Arnold J. Martel Mgr. - June 5, 2018 - b. 15515 p. 71
Lisa A Kempa & Whitney P. Stewart-Cencemi - Sept. 3, 2019 - b. 15983 p. 281
Ebenezer Burtt to Samuel Bailey– Feb. 26, 1807 – b. 180 leaf 73 – 13 acres
Moses Stickney Jr. to Samuel Bailey – Mar. 18, 1790 b. 197 p. 11 – 5 acres Rec. 5/9/1812
Stearns Needham to Samuel Bailey – Mar. 1, 1809 – b. 197 p. 12 - Rec. 5/9/1812
Jesse Trull to Samuel Bailey – Mar. 1, 1809 – b. 197 p. 12 - Rec. 5/9/1812 – 25 a 56 poles
William Bailey to Samuel Bailey – Apr. 14, 1804 – b. 197 p. 12 - Rec. 5/9/1812 -26 acres with blds.
Dorcus Bailey to Samuel Bailey – Nov. 21, 1803 – b. 197 p. 12 - Rec. 5/9/1812 – 12 a woodland “Pitts lot”
John Ingalls to Samuel Bailey – Apr. 21, 1823 – b. 274 leaf 275 –Rec. 1/29/1834 – 5 acre on Bailey Rd.
|Place||Bailey District - West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Samuel & Sally Bailey House|
|Present Use||residential - two family|
|Original Use||residence - farmhouse|
|Construction Date||1730 - 80|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Wall/Trim||aluminum siding 1/2 house|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||small attached barn with sheds|
|Major Alterations||bay window, entry porch 1880-1900|
|Acreage||5.03 acres; approx. frontage 120'; approx. distance from street 35'|
|Map and parcel||229-6B|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||2/25/80, 1/12/2015|