Cape style home one and a half story with connection ell to English style barn.
Ballard Lovejoy was the son of James Ballard & Hannah (Bailey) Lovejoy, and he sold the property to his sister Oprah Lovejoy on Dec. 24, 1862. Both Ballard and Oprah were baptized on the same day July 17, 1814 at South Church. When the West Parish was created in 1826 their parents, James & Hannah, became charter members #32 & #33 on Dec. 5, 1826. Oprah joined the church on Sept. 5, 1845. She never married and sold the farm in March 1872 just one year prior to her death on April 23, 1873.
Martha Shaw, wife of Josiah M. Shaw bought from Oprah on March 15, 1872 and held the property for 12 years selling to Richard P. Whitten on Mar. 24, 1884. Whitten held for a year and a half then selling to Edgar G. Wright on Sept. 3, 1885.
The Wright family would have a long connection to the home owning for 61 years. Edgar Guernsey Wright was born in April 1858 in Minnesota. He married Nellie Norton b. May 1856 in New Hampshire and they had six children; Gertrude b. Dec. 1884, Annie B. b. Nov. 1886, Raymond E. b. Jan. 1889, Clara M. b. Mar. 1892, Willis b. May 1893 and Wells b. in b. May 1899.
In the period photo of the Wright family in the front yard of their home it looks as if Edgar is showing off every conveyance used on his farm. Two bicycles, an open buggy, a closed buggy, dump wagon or Scotch cart, box wagon, a fancy delivery wagon in the doorway of the barn, horse drawn hay tedder or rake, hay mower, harrow, some hand and horse drawn ploughs and a few smaller farm related items . In another period photo taken the same day as the family at all in the same clothes, the yard is void of any farm equipment.
Edgar and Nellie became members of West Parish Church in July 1887. Edgar Wright died on Jan. 12, 1934 and Nellie inherits his estate. Nellie died on Jan 26, 1946 at age 90 years 5m. Her daughter Annie B was the Executrix of
of her estate. The Wright farm was sold in the summer on July 26, 1946 to John J. & Celeste D. Hartigan. John was born in 1893 and was a Doctor. The Hartigans sold off a portion of the property to developers for the 1961 Will O' Way development. John & Celeste owned for 18 years before John's death on Oct. 13, 1964. Celeste sold the following year to Norman E. & Margaret A. Randall on Sept. 30, 1965. Norman b. 1925 was in Textiles, sadly
Margaret died on Nov. 4, 1976. Norman remained until June 1987 when he sold to E. Breck & Louise Ann (Peterson) Arnzen. The Arnzen family held the farm house for 6 years.
John J. & Maria M. McGinty purchased the property in December 1993 and are the current owners in 2014
notes in Andover Historical Society files.
See Newman Coll. 1987.598 Structure for c.1900 photo, BT 1991
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
West Parish Historical Manuel of the Church & Parish - 1926
West Parish Garden Cemetery burial records
See Map plan #4718 - sub-division for Will-O-Way Dev Richard Baker 1961
Oprah Lovejoy - Dec. 24, 1862 - b. leaf. Salem Deeds
Martha Shaw, wife of Josiah M. Shaw - March 15, 1872 - b. 13 p. 266 - Lawrence, Deeds
Richard P. Whitten - Mar. 24, 1884 - b. 75 p. 424-425
Edgar G. Wright - Sept. 3, 1885 - b. 82 p. 425
Edgar G. Wright estate - died Jan. 12, 1934 - Probate
Nellie Wright - By will Probate - 1934
Nellie Wright estate, Annie B. Wright Extrx., Jan. 26, 1946 - b. 687 p. 238
John J. & Celeste D. Hartigan - July 26, 1946 - b. 687 p. 239
Celeste D. Hartigan - by will John J. died Oct. 13, 1964
Norman E. & Margaret A. Randall - Sept. 30, 1965 - b. 1044 p. 490
Norman E. Randall - heir Margaret died Nov. 4, 1976
E. Breck & Louise Ann (Peterson) Arnzen - June 12, 1987 - b. 2520 p. 24
John J. & Maria M. McGinty - Dec. 23, 1993 - b. 3940 p. 258
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Lovejoy, Benjamin House|
|Construction Date||Circa 1800|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||large shingled barn|
|Major Alterations||small story and 1/2 modernized, but early lines.|
|Acreage||.805 acre - 35,066 sq. ft. approximate frontage 180'|
|Map and parcel||134-9|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 02/17/2006, Nov. 5, 2014|