site & buildings were endangered by industrialization and highway development.
Former owner: Catherine Shattuck, estate - J. A. Dolten, Trustees (August 1977)
Original owner: Land originally C. L. Dudley Bradstreet,
house of Joseph Shattuck
Themes: Aboriginal, Agricultural, Architectural, Community development, Exploration/settlement, Recreation
Historical significance: Land believed to be part of Col. Dudley Bradstreet's farm, part of which came into possession of Sarah Farnum, wife of Benjamin Abbot, - and then to sons, David and Jonathan Abbot. Jonathan's daughter, Phebe, was married to Joseph Shattuck Jr.. Thus, Shattucks have occupied since 1807.
Bailey says, Joseph Shattuck "bought farm in West Andover near Merrimack River" 1728. His sons, Revolutionary War soldiers, Capt. Joseph and Capt. Nathan settled within mile of each other on their father's lands. Both were selectmen, representatives to legislature. This was Joseph's homestead.
About 1941, Edward Shattuck retired from business in Boston and devoted himself to restoring this farm. He became known for prize turkeys, which he fed bananas and his Holstein cattle. He restored the houses and opened #129 as Shattuck Farm Tea House.
Indian village once on site. Many artifacts from archeological digs here - now in Peabody Museum, Andover.
Fire damage, the northwest section of the house at #129 in July 1977.
see 1980 National Register nomination for updated information
Andover Historical Society files / early deeds 1723 / 1724
Bailey, Sarah Loring; "Historical Sketches of Andover", 1880 p. 155, 364-365, 367, 369
Glennie, George etal; "Historic Andover", 325th Anniversary, 1646 - 1971, Andover Historical Society, 1971
Goldsmith, Bessie; "Historical Houses in Andover" - compiled for Tercentenary of Andover, Historical Society, 1946
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||Individual National Register Listing|
|Historic Name||Abbott - Shattuck Farm|
|Present Use||residence - now abandoned except for care taker - fate is uncertain|
|Construction Date||ca. 1728|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||fine barn, sheds|
|Major Alterations||restored after 1941|
|Move Details||239 High Plain Road in 1982|
|Map and parcel||165-1A|
|Recorded by||N.J. Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 6/2014|