Building marker 1992
The exterior primarily exhibits the colonial revival in its symmetrical arrangement of forms and classical detail. The combination of wood and brick is well suited to the 20th century suburban home. Street directories and tax lists show Samuel Pike, a bricklayer, on Lowell set Lincoln. The left wing remains as a shop or work area an may have been Samuel's.
The land at this property was once part of the larger farm of Artemas Brown at #161 Lowell St. which Brown had purchased from Chester Adams in Oct. 1842. Brown sold 39 acres of land on the south side of Lowell St. to Edward W. Burtt at #142 Lowell. Burtt cut off 5.45 acres of land of his farm and sold to Walter E. Pike on Dec.5, 1921.
Walter E & Cynthia Pike built the house in 1922 and were living there in 1923. Walter b. 1878 was a bookkeeper. Cynthia Ella (Flint) Pike was born April 4, 1890 daughter of George E. & Roxanna (Long) Flint of Bailey Rd. Andover. According to the Pike School history, in 1926, Cynthia began the school with the first classes in the two front rooms. The school moved into rented space in the former American Woolen Co. Administration Building in Shawsheen Village. The Pikes remained in the home until March 1951 when they sold to Louis E. & Clara Solari.
Solari divided a portion of the property off and sold to house to John J. & Bernadette M. Gaynor in April 1954. The Gaynors sold to Roy & Ruth Carrigan a year later on September 1955. Carrigan must have worked for Western Electric Co. at the time and was transferred to New Jersey, as the Company purchased the property on Sept. 17, 1956.
Six months later it was sold to Wells F. & Catherine M. (Strang) Stackhouse. Wells and Catherine had three children; Leslie, Wells II "Buzzy" and Robert. Wells was an engineer. In Sept. 1963 they sub-divided their property for a new house lot and built a modern ranch house at #122. They never moved into their new home as Wells was transferred to Jamestown, NY. The new house was sold on August 27, 1964 to Israel Cohen.
On May 24, 1965 the Pike house was sold to George J. and Pauline R. Healy of Dover, NH. The Healys had eight children were raised there and one became a teacher at the Pike School where she learned of her house's history. Now grand children live there with Mrs. Healy and play in the cabin, which was built by John Healy from a chicken coop, moved to the rear yard for a play house from Concord N.H. George Healy died in December 1989 and Pauline sold the home to Vincent & Suzanne J. Christiano on September 8, 1993.
Chester Adams - 1843 land
Artemas Brown - Oct. 1842 b. 334 leaf 94 Salem deeds.
Edward W. & Emma A. Burtt Mac. 18, 1880 b. 59 p. 93
Walter E. Pike Dec. 5, 1921 - b. 451 p. 197 5.45 acres
Walter E. & Cynthia Pike - Jun. 28, 1943 - b. 658 p. 244
Louis E. & Clara F. Solari - Mar. 13, 1951 - b. 747 p. 410
John J. & Bernadette M. Gaynor - Apr. 13, 1954 b. 790 p.164
Roy C. & Ruth J. Corrigan Sept. 12, 1955 b. 820, p 45
Western Electric Co. Sept. 17, 1956 - b. 842 p. 74
Wells F. & Catherine M. Stackhouse - Mar. 28, 1957 b. 852 p. 183
George J. & Pauline R. Healey - May 24, 1965 - b. 1034 p. 309
Pauline R. Healey - Dec. 11, 1989 - probate
Vincent & Suzanne J. Christiano - Sept. 8, 1993 - b. 3838 p. 108
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||West Parish Center NRH District|
|Historic Name||Watler & Cynthia Pike House|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Wall/Trim||wood & brick|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage and cabin|
|Map and parcel||89-4|
|Recorded by||Terry Marcille, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society|
|Date entered||12-27-91, 02/28/2006, 12/2013|