129 River Road
Site of History 🛈The Site of History tag is given to properties that were lost before this building survey was undertaken.

Architectural Description: 

Style; Vernacular Georgian

Other features:
site & buildings in danger of industrialization, highway development

Historical Narrative: 

Present owner: estate of "Edward & Catherine Shattuck: J. A. Dolten, Trustees (1975)
Original owner: land, part of Dudley Bradstreet farm; house - Joseph Shattuck

Subsequent use: Colonial Restaurant, 1946 and Ice cream stand
Themes: Aboriginal, Agricultural, Architectural, Community development, Exploration/settlement
Historical significance:
For about 500 years until 1500's, there was a large Indian village here - the original site now mostly under water, as building of Lawrence Dam (1840s) changed river level.
Land, part of Col. Dudley Bradstreet farm. Passed to Sarah Farnum Abbot, wife of Benjamin, who gave her share to her son, David (deed 1694). In 1718, Jonathan and Hannah Abbot and David's family occupied houses on Shattuck farm about a mile apart.
1818 - Abbot's sold to Frederick Noyes.
1871 - Noyes sold to four Shattuck brothers. Owners, Catherine and Edward Shattuck developed colonial restaurant here, 1946.

Future of site and buildings uncertain, since land taken by option for industry forms part of 600 acre tract now belonging to Hewlett - Packard. Route 93 development split off east side of farm.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
see 1980 National Register nomination for updated information
Glennie, George, et al; "Historic Andover", 325th Anniversary, 1646 - 1971, Andover Historical Society, 1971
Goldsmith, Bessie; "Historical Houses in Andover", Mass. 1946

Inventory Data:

StreetRiver Rd
PlaceWest Parish - North District
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameAbbot - Shattuck - Noyes House
Present Useresidence
Original Usefarmhouse
Construction Dateearly 19th century
SourceERDS, NERDL, style,
Architectural StyleOther
Foundationstone foundation
Outbuildings / Secondary Structuressheds attached
Major AlterationsHouse moved to 233 High Plain Rd in 1982. East wing and shed removed and razed in 1982 for move.
Move Details1982 - moved to 233 High Plain Road
Acreage2.7 acres
Map and parcel164-1
Recorded byN. J. Stack/Mofford
OrganizationAndover Historical Commission
Date entered1975 - 1977