May 22,1897, Charles A. Hardy & son Frank Hardy purchase ½ acre lot for $150 from George Averill. (bk. 155 pg. 82 NERDL) They obtain a mortgage from the Punchard Free School Trustee, a corporation for $1000 to be paid back in one year at 5 ½%.
(bk. 155 pg. 83 and discharged 1898 bk. 265 pg. 157.)
Frank Hardy builds a house for himself and his wife Edith directly across the street from his father’s home, the Phelps stone house at #183 Lowell Street. Frank’s boyhood home is where he began his brush making business in the barn behind the house.
1898, September 20, Charles Hardy conveys his interest in property over to son Frank Hardy – (bk. 183 pg. 506)
1900 Tax Evaluation for Andover. Hardy, Frank H. House $1200. ½ acre of land $100 = $1300. (AHS archives)
1901, March 11, Frank H. Hardy from Charles Hardy - (bk. 183 pg. 506)
November 3, 1908, William M. Wood purchases the land from Frank H. Hardy;
North by Lowell St. 7 rods 9’, easterly by land of the Grange 13 rods, southerly by land, late of Averill and westerly to Lowell St.(bk. 265 pg. 157)
William Wood acquires this property along with the adjoining Grange land for the creation of the Green in front of the church and for the cemetery expansion and new main entrance. The Church Vestry building and horse sheds also were removed to locations east of Reservation Rd.
The “Hardy House” was sold to Grandville K. Cutler, Purchasing Agent for the American Woolen Company, a member of the West Parish Church and the Andover Grange. He was also Chairman of the Cemetery board committee. The Hardy house was moved about ½ mile east to #129 Lowell Street north side of the road. The new lot was owned by the Burtt/Cutler family who owned the 16 acre farm at #161 Lowell St. Cutler's wife was Gertrude Burtt who grew up in the homestead at #161 was purchased by her sister Angie and brother Albert Burtt in 1902
November 2, 1908, Edith E. & Frank H. Hardy purchase the John Morrell home at 202 Shawsheen Rd. directly behind the church. (bk. 267 pg 367)
1908 – Old Hardy house moved to 129 Lowell Street. Granville K. Cutler and wife Gertrude A. Burtt are the new owners as they create a lot to the east of their farm at 161 Lowell St.
1910 – Frank Hardy moves his brush manufacturing business into the empty mill buildings of the Smith & Dove Company in Frye Village from his father’s barn at #183 Lowell Street. AT- October 7, 1910 – Frye Village – Work commenced on the brush factory on Haverhill Street on Monday (Oct. 3rd)
“Hardy House” at 129 Lowell Street - 1909, Feb. 23 Paul Burtt to Grandville K. Cutler – (bk. 269 pg. 314 Col. Deed.)
Angie M. Burtt to Gertrude B. Cutler 1902, March 7 (bk. 192 pg. 186)
June 25, 1919, Gertrude B. & Grandville K. Cutler sell to Albert E. & Rose A. Gilman
(bk. 402 pg. 436) - except for a triangular piece of land by Trow property.
Oct. 2, 1936 (bk. 601 pg. 426 & 427) then included by Trow.
April 14,1944, Albert & Rose Gilman sell to Ernest W. & Kathleen Ann Halbach.
(bk. 663 pg. 394)
July 14,1950, Ernest & Kathleen Halbach sell to Clara & Harold Libby
(bk. 738 pg.402 plan #2250)
June 2, 1960, Harold & Clara Libby sell to George & Constance Abodeely
(bk. 916 pg. 44)
2008, George & Constance Abodeely sell to Laura Luff Stamp.
Andover Townsman (AT)
Andover Building Survey
Federal Census 1850 – 1940
Andover Town Street Directories
Andover Valuation Reports 1870, 1900, 1910, 1920
Andover Historical Society – Vertical files.
Andover Vital Records
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds, Lawrence, MA
West Parish Cemetery records
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||West Parish Center NRH District|
|Historic Name||Frank Hardy House|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Major Alterations||front porch removed addition added to east side 1960's|
|Map and parcel||70-2|
|Recorded by||B.Thibault - James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society|
|Date entered||1990, 02/28/2006, 12/2013|