This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were William & Mabel H. Green. William was a Superintendent in Lawrence foe the American Woolen Co. The Greens are still listed in the 1930-31 directory.
This house was sold to John P. S. & Anita Mahoney on June 30, 1941. John Mahoney was a Publisher in Lawrence, MA. Mahoneys owned the property nearly 13 years then sold to Bruce H. & Beverly F. Gower on Jan. 29, 1954. Bruce Gower lists his occupation as Salesman. The Gower family owned the home for 59 years. Bruce & Beverly had four children, William, Beth, Cynthia, and Kimberly.
The property was placed in the Gower Revocable Trust, with Beverly Gower Trustee in 1991. The Gower family sold the property in 2013 to Mathew B. & Erin E. Walsh only the third family to own the property.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#878 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot # 44 - parcel 15
See #7 Argyle St. for Town Farm history
Samuel Abbot - 1804 - 90 acre farm
Inhabitants of Town of Andover - 1807 – 1921 – Town Farm
Varter & Havenes Dagdegian - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 503
Town of Andover, Geo. C. H. Dufton - July 12, 1921 - b. 443 p. 505 - 13.66 A
Town of Andover, July 12, 1921 - Town Meeting Nov. 1, 1921 sell
American Woolen Co., Wm. M. Wood - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 296 - 12.56 acres - lot 1
American Woolen Co.- Nov. 15, 1921 - b. 450 p. 342 - 10 acres- lot 2
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 15th parcel
John P. S. & Anita Mahoney - June 30, 1941 - b. 642 p. 293
Bruce H. & Beverly F. Gower - Jan. 29, 1954 - b. 787 p. 254
Gower Revocable Trust, Beverly Gower Trustee - Jan 23, 1991 - b. 3223 p. 56
Gower Revocable Trust, William B. T Gower, Tr. -
Mathew B. & Erin E. Walsh - July 23, 2013 - b. 13564 p. 303
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Mahoney - Gower House|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Major Alterations||replacement windows|
|Map and parcel||36-56|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/8/2015|