13 Binney Street
Site of History 🛈The Site of History tag is given to properties that were lost before this building survey was undertaken.

Historical Narrative: 

Binney Street –
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. Most of the streets in the new Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Binney Street however was named for Henry P. Binney of Canton, MA, a banker and agent trustee of the American Woolen Company. Binney was hired in 1909 to purchase land in both Lawrence and Andover for future expansion of the American Woolen Co. when William M. Wood was President of the company. Binney then turned all the deeds over to the AWCo in December 1920.

This land was once owned by Sylvester P. Smith (49 Union St) who had plans for a housing development. A 1901 map of Frye Village clearly shows the locations of Shepley & Binney Streets, but named Agawam and Merrick Streets respectively, both connected at the east end by Madison St. which was never built. Old deeds reference both earlier names.

These homes were built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company.

Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association with offices in the Post Office building in Shawsheen Square, later moved into the Administration Building.

Binney Street was originally built with 11 homes, 9 were single family residences and 2 were double houses. With the construction of Route 495 the Commonwealth of Massachusetts took every property on Fletcher St. by eminent domain on Dec. 29, 1960. Five homes on Binney St. were also lost. By 1963 Fletcher Street no longer existed. A handful of homes were moved to new locations but the majority was demolished.

One of the goals of the Andover Preservation Commission is to identify historic places and sites. We re-list The homes lost on Binney St. and all of Fletcher St. as it was once a historic part of the Shawsheen Village development. We also honor the families that made their homes on Fletcher St. and their contribution to the community.

Each home incorporated a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Mr. Wood also incorporated two family duplexes in every section of the new Village.

The properties came with deed restrictions. No stores, factories, or other buildings of any business nature shall be erected, only professional, doctor, dentist or other professional occupations,…No shed, hen houses or out buildings, except a one or two stall garage, which shall have a pitched roof and be of the same general architectural pattern & material, and of the same color, as the building on said premises,…have a cement, macadam, asphalt or crushed stone driveway. No single house erected less than $3500 and no double houses less than $5000. All buildings shall be kept painted white, buff or gray, all with the same setback from the street.

After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company. The AWCo. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.

The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.

One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 was James & Elizabeth Ruxton. James is listed as a gardener. The #13 is not listed in a 1925 town directory and may have been vacant as it was in 1928. In 1930 Edward & Evelyn Schubert are tenants. Edward work for the A.W. Co. in 1932 John F. & Eleanor Cashwell – John is a foreman in Lawrence. 1933-35 Charles Gould, age 53 a carpenter, wife Clara, Charles A. 23, George G. and Ramona –
1937 Kenneth J. and Ada M. McLean – Ken is an electrician. 1939 and 1941 the house is vacant.

The house was sold to William R. & Edna A. Kelley on Oct. 31, 1941who owned for eight years. William Russell Kelley was born July 14, 1908 in Dover, NH son of Wm. R. & Margaret (McNally) Kelley. William worked as a Cloth Printer for the Pacific Mills in Lawrence, and was renting 32 Enmore St. in Shawsheen Village in the 1940 Census. A seven month old daughter Nancy is also listed. 1943 William Kelley is a partner in the Lawrence Parts Works.

Edward L. & Louise S. King purchased the house on July 19, 1949. Edward L. King was b. 1919 in NY and is listed as a Credit Manager for an office department store in the 1950 Census. Louise is 33 and two children are listed, Lou Anne age 6 b. GA and son Terry age 2 born NY. The Kings owned six years then selling to Robert B. & Elizabeth A. McIntyre on Aug. 6, 1955.

Robert B. McIntyre was b. 1924 and wife Elizabeth b. 1933. Robert was a graduate of Northeastern University, Tuffts College and Boston University. He taught mathematics, Sr. Science, mechanical drawing and varsity football coach at Punchard High School and Andover High School from 1950 – 1959. Their house was taken by Eminent Domain by the Commonwealth of Mass. on Dec. 29, 1960. The McIntyre family are still listed at the Binney Street address in 1962.


#13 Binney St. Lot 19
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Andover Townsman
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #876 – June 1932 – Textile Realty Co.
Map #1050 – March 1937 – amended map #876 for narrowing street.
Plan 4205 - Comm. of Mass. lot 9-75
Plan 5056 - Comm. of Mass - Layout of order of taking

Henry P. Binney, Trustee of AWCo. - July 30, 1909 - b. 277 p. 314
American Woolen Co. Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215 -(1st parcel)
Textile Realty Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 344
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87
William R. & Edna A. Kelley – Oct. 31, 1941 – b. 646 p. 297
Edward L. & Louise S. King – July 19, 1949 – b. 725 p. 222 - $9500 mtg.
Robert B. & Elizabeth A. McIntyre – Aug. 6, 1955 – b. 818 p. 40 - $8000 mtg.
Robert B. & Elizabeth A. McIntyre – June 20, 1957 – b. 856 p. 311
Commonwealth of Mass., Eminent Domain – Dec. 29, 1960 – b.929 p. 334-352

Inventory Data:

StreetBinney St
PlaceShawsheen Village
Historic DistrictShawsheen Village NRH District
Historic NameWilliam R. & Edna Kelley House
Present UseHighway Route 495
Original Useresidence - mill housing
Construction Date1923
Architectural StyleColonial Revival
Foundationstone, granite
ConditionRazed 1962
Demolition DetailsRazed in 1962 for 495 construction
Acreage8523 sq. ft.
Recorded byJames S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date enteredApril 18, 2023