Florence Street was constructed in 1885. The south end portion (Park St.) of two acres and 28,045 sq. ft. was owned by Hannah W. Foster, wife of Joseph W. Foster. Hannah sold the parcel to William Wood, a carpenter for $1900 on March 13, 1883. Wood built his home at 66 Park St. and house lots extended on both sides of Florence up to #21 and #24. The north end portion (Elm St.) on the east side was the former Moses Abbot Jr. homestead at #49 Elm St. Owned by his son George T. Abbott, also a House-wright, who was partners with William S. Jenkins in the firm Abbott & Jenkins. The Abbot parcel extended to #20 Florence. St. The west side of Florence St. from Elm St. to #17 was owned by the Henry Burtt estate formerly at #35-#37 Elm St.
Oct. 2, 1885 Andover Advertiser - pg. 2 col. 9, “The new way between Park and Elm has been completed by Nathan F. Abbott, the contractor, and accepted by the Selectman. Several names have been suggested……”
House lots were then created and sold to a variety of residents. The Widow Hannah Burtt sold the parcel of land to E. Kendall Jackson on May 21, 1881. This was investment property for Jenkins as he lived on School St. Jenkins sold the corner lot on Elm and Florence St. to George W. Harnden in 1885. Harnden then moved a house from the Holt District to the lot creating four apartments. J. Walter Harnden sold off the rear portion of his lot to Lewis A. Dane on April 30, 1917. Dane lived in the bungalow next door at #17 Florence St. Lewis Dane died on April 13, 1922 and his wife Annie S. Dane inherits the property.
Annie Dane sells this portion of her lot to Helen C. Addis on Sept. 19, 1933. It has been stated that this home is a Sears Roebuck home, ordered through a catalog and shipped for assembly. We have yet to substantiate that claim. Helen C. Addis had the home built on the lot. Helen b. 1899 in Michigan was the Proprietor of the "Raven Beauty Parlor" which was located at 30 Park St. from 1928-1946. Helen was first married to William B. Addis b. 1899 in NY, son of Peter H. & Lydia Addis, and first lived at 116 Lowell St. Helen & William had one daughter Marilyn J. Addis b. 1930. It appears that Helen and William separated and she and her daughter moved into the new home on Florence St.
She would later marry in the late 1950s to widower Dana W. Clark, Andover native and Civil Engineer. Clark once work for John Franklin CE, employed by William M. Wood. He laid out Shawsheen Village and the West Parish Cemetery. Dana Clark was CE on the layout of the Andover Country Club. Clark went into business for himself. By 1962 both Dana & Helen had retired but were living here. Dana died in 1967.
With the death of Helen C. (Addis) Clark here estate went to daughter Marilyn J. Anthony. She later sold to Lawrence J. & Masha L Sullivan on May 29, 1975.
Henry E. Bolton purchased the home on Oct. 12, 1982 and held just two years then selling to Matthew Yuschik and Geraldine A. Holmes on Feb. 25, 1986. The also owned just two years and sold to Tammy L. Brynie and Peter D. Green on Feb. 12, 1988.
Gregory J. Luckman purchased the home on Nov. 17, 1992 and continues as owner of record in 2017.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Nathaniel Whittier - land 1831
John Foster & Henry Burtt - May 3, 1841 - b. 329 leaf 97
Henry Burtt -
Henry Burtt estate, wid. Hannah E. heir - Apr. 4, 1881 - Probate
E Kendall Jackson - May 21, 1881 - b. 65 p. 530
George W. Harnden - May 4, 1885 - b. 81 p. 203
J. Walter Harnden - Jne 13, 1899 - b. 170 p. 119
Louis A. Dane - Apr. 30, 1917 - b. 375 p. 283
Louis A Dane estate, Sarah A. Dane Extrx - May 18, 1922 - Probate
Helen C. Addis - Sept. 19, 1933 - b. 572 p. 122
Helen C. (Addis) Clark estate, Marilyn J. Anthony heir, Probate
Marilyn J. Anthony Cooper
Lawrence J. & Marsha L. Sullivan - May 29, 1975 - b. 1261 p. 401
Henry E. Bolton - Oct. 12, 1982 - b. 1611 p. 102
Mathew Yuschik & Geraldine A. Holmes - Feb. 25, 1986 - b. 2144 p. 317
Tammy L. Brynie & Peter D. Green - Feb 12, 1988 - b. 2683 p. 130
Gregory J. Luckman - Nov. 17, 1992 - b. 3596 p. 44
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Helen C. Addis House|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||39-14|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 7, 2017|