Queen Anne style home. This cottage has lost much of its original details over the years during renovations and additions. Its basic form and bay window under the porch roof remain.
13 Washington Ave – 21-77 – 0.228a David & Annie Gordon House
Washington Ave. was constructed in 1889 and named on the Centennial of George Washington’s visit to Andover in 1789. Constructed over farm land of Charles O. Cummings, house lots were then sold off to residents and developers. By 1906 eighteen new homes had been built. Interesting to note that five new owners, Tyler, Lewis, Gray, Stiles and Caldwell were House Carpenters and Cummings and Wardwell were developers at each end of the avenue.
Aug. 30, 1889 Andover Townsman p. 4 - The new street, Washington Ave. is progressing rapidly, and from all appearances it is likely to be a good piece of road. The ledge at the Elm Street end had been blasted sufficiently, and the men are now engaged cutting down the ground above the grad and filling in the lower places. Quite a piece stretching from Summer Street is ready for the finishing touches.
October 25, 1889 AT – The new street Washington Ave. is beginning to look like a very good piece of road. The top dressing of red spring gravel is being put on.
Nov. 1, 1889 p.1 AT Commissioner Hayward has finished putting the top coat of Red Spring gravel on Washington Ave. and one sidewalk has been made the entire length.
This property was once part of the Charles O. Cummings farm and was sub-divided by Cummings into house lots. Charles died in 1898, his widow Augusta C. remarried to Andrew Thompson.
The house was built by Cummings and rented prior to selling in 1905. The 1900 Census lists Tenants; Herbert Foster age 33 b. June 1866 in MA, a Piano polisher, wifeEllen F. age 35, b. Mar. 1865 in Canada, a dressmaker. img. 1880 to US.
Augusta sold this lot to Frank E. Ward on Nov. 3, 1905. The deed stated “with buildings” which implies that the home was built before the sale.
Frank Ernest Ward was born April 22, 1882 in Waterville, Kings Co., Nova Scotia, son of William A> & Lititia (Hayeman) Ward. Frank, a house carpenter, came to Andover in 1900. He married on Aug. 21, 1904 to Rosie Morgan b. 1881 in Penn, dau. of James & Mary (Pennington)Morgan. Frank & Rosie had two daughters; Rosie Angel b. 1908 and Mary Alice b. May 25, 1910. The Wards only owned seven months then sold to Paul Lee on May 21, 1906 and moved to South Main St.
Paul Lee b. 1870, in Kings County, Virginia, an African American, married in 1891 to Lottie Hyson b. 1878, Lancaster, VA. Paul lists his occupation as Coachman and teamster. Paul & Lottie had two children; Daughter Almer L. b. 1897 in Baltimore, MD and a son Paul Benjamin b. Mar. 21, 1906 in Andover. Lee owned 14 months then sold to Thomas J. Doyle on July 20, 1907. The Lee family then moved to 76 Salem. St.
Thomas J. Doyle b. 1875 in Ireland, son of Thomas & Margaret (Nevin) Doyle. Thomas emigrated in 1880 settling in Andover. In 1910 census he lists his occupation as fireman, School boiler. Thomas married on Sept. 5, 1900 to Bridget C. Donovan, b. 1879 in Ireland, dau. of Michael & Nora (Moynihan) Donovan. Bridget emigrated in 1897. Thomas & Bridget had four sons; Edward A., b. 1902, John T. b. 1904, Thomas Alfred b. July 15, 1906 and Daniel J. b. Oct. 1908. Sister-in-law Annie Donovan age 25, was also listed in 1910. Doyle owned for five years and moved to 3 Holt Rd. His occupation now Stationary engineer at a Dye works in 1920.
The property was sold on Aug. 26, 1912 to Annie C. Gordon, wife of David S. Gordon. David Sandeman Gordon was born May 21, 1876 in Scotland, son of David and Susan (Christie) Gordon. He married, had a son David S. Jr. b. Sept. 6, 1895. His wife died so David came to Andover in 1906 and first work as a butcher in a provision store. He then worked in the flax mill of Smith and Dove Manufacturing Co. The mill closed in 1927 and David took work as a laborer with the Town. David met a mill operative, Annie Craik and married on July 10, 1910. Annie Craik, b. Dec. 18, 1881, dau. of James & Mary (Bradley) Craik. David & Annie would have nine children; Donald, b. 1911, Dorothy Margaret b. 1912, Nan B. b. 1914, Ruth b. 1917, Elizabeth b. 1918, Jean b. 1921, Mary b. 1923, Helen b. 1925 and George R. b. 1927.
Son David S. Gordon Jr. joined the Army during WWI and then worked for the Tyer Rubber Co.
David & Annie sold their home of 46 years to Robert T & Dorothy M. Volker on Dec. 23, 1958. David Sr. died in 1962 and widow Annie in 1963. Both are interred at Spring Grove Cemetery.
The Volker family continue as owners of record of nearly 62 years.
Northern Essex Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Valuation Schedule
Ancestry.com - Ward, Lee, Doyle, Gordon, Volker
Charles O. Cummings
Charles O. Cummings estate, Nov. 1898, heir widow Augusta C.
Augusta C. [Cummings] Thompson, wife of Andrew
Frank E. Ward, wife Rosie – Nov. 3, 1905 – b. 226 p. 363
Paul Lee, wife Lottie – May 21, 1906 – b. 232 p. 363
Paul Lee, wife Lottie – May 21, 1906 – b. 232 p. 437 2nd parcel
Thomas J. Doyle, wife Bridget – July 20, 1907 – b. 249 p. 180
Annie C. Gordon, wife of David S. – Aug. 26, 1912 – b. 321 p. 405
Robert T & Dorothy M. Volker – Dec. 23, 1958 – b. 885 p. 480
Robert T. Volker estate, Dorothy M. Volker
Dorothy M. Volker, life estate, Janet M. Volker – May 17, 2018 – b. 15482 p. 97
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||David & Annie Gordon House|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Major Alterations||addition to south side of house, porch post and railings replaced,|
|Map and parcel||21-77|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 1/30/2020|