The Upton House was built by Edward C. Upton. He purchased the land from the Trustees of Phillips Academy in 1848 and later built the house at the corner of Main Street (Essex Turnpike) and Morton Street (formerly called East Green and Pike Street).
The house was probably constructed with a traditional flat front façade with symmetrical window placement typical of Colonial and Federal period homes. A profusion of bay windows were being added to several homes and business in Andover in the 1880s and these bays may have been built during this style change during Sarah Abbott’s ownership.
The house was converted into a boarding house and may have housed boys from Phillips Academy at some time but during the 20th Century the house has served as an apartment house and contains six units, two units on each level and the attic space. The house and lot are now part of a consolidated group of properties including lots to the north and east of this property.
It has been stated in the Free Christian Church history that this location on the corner of Main and Morton St. was the site of the first Methodist Church in Andover which had disbanded. John Smith of the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. purchased the church building and moved it to Railroad Street about 1845. He completely renovated the building adding the front spire and then gave it the Free Christian Church, of which he was the primary founder and charter member. It served as their primary house of worship until 1908 when the new edifice was built on Elm Street. The old church was then razed.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Trustees of Phillips Academy
Edward C. Upton - Nov. 4, 1847 - b. 389 p. 235 Salem Deeds
Warren Draper - Nov. 3, 1880 - b. 62 p. 37 Lawrence Deeds
Sarah F. Abbott - Sept. 8, 1881 - b. 65 p. 223
Sarah Abbott estate; Anna F. Perkins, Mary F. Babbitt, Harriet A. Clark, heir by Will of mother
Margaret J. Clinton - Aug. 18, 1913 - b. 333 p. 357
Samuel & Isora I. Trumbull - Oct. 24, 1914 - b. 369 p. 159
Samuel T. Trumbull - Aug. 8, 1924 - b. 650 p. 53
Samuel Beedy Trumbull estate; Jacob B. Bagdoian Admins.
Plan #16600B title #3020 book 20 pg. 481 Drawn by Goodwin - Sept. 1945
William E. & Marguerite Shann - Oct. 21, 1948 - b. 714 p. 568
Elliott P. Cooke - Oct. 7, 1952 - b. 765 p. 385
L. Anson & Ethel M. Cooke - Aug. 10, 1953 - b. 778 p. 399
Walter E. & Madelyn S. Mondale - July 5, 1955 - b. 815 p. 274
Antonio & Palma Abate - July 5, 1955 - b. 815 p. 275
Antonio & Palma Abate - Feb. 10, 1971 - b. 1166 p. 145 (5 parcels)
(#132 Main Street is parcel # three)
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Main/Locke Streets NRH District|
|Historic Name||Edward C. Upton House|
|Present Use||apartment building|
|Construction Date||1848 - 1850|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Conversion to apartment building|
|Map and parcel||40-43|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 2/10/2014|