high facade; plain center doorway on 3-bay facade; Pitched roof with gable returns; 2/2 window sash, 1 1/2 story wood framed house. Vernacular cottage without significant elaboration. Proportions and age make this mid-19th century building notable in a neighborhood of 20th century ranches
Themes - Architectural and Community Development
This property was once owned by Virgil A. & Eliza Ayers of Nashua, NH and sold to Nathan Shattuck on June 17, 1854. With the death of Nathan Shattuck his widow Mary F. Shattuck and Augusta P. Jenkins, wife of Omar Jenkins sell the property with buildings for $380. to Frederick J. Noyes Jr. on Sept. 9, 1872. The deed refers to the lot as the "Scales Pasture". Frederick J. Noyes Jr. and wife Isabella M. owned the property for 27 years. Isabella inherits the property and then sells to Alvin T. & Helen Knowlton on Aug. 1, 1899.
Annie Zdon, wife of John purchased the property on Oct. 24, 1902 from Knowlton. They owned for six years then selling to Maryanna Suda on April 17, 1908. Suda held for one year then sold to Stanislaus Chelebowski on Apr. 29, 1909. Stanislaus was born in Poland on Oct. 29, 1878 and immigrated to America in 1903 with wife Annie. They settled in Lawrence, MA. Stanislaus & Annie had six children, Mary . 1904, Genevieve "Jennie" b. 1906, Joseph b. 1908, Alice b. 1910, Stanley b. 1912 and Edward b. 1917. Stanislaus was a farmer and purchased a second parcel on July 5, 1923, known as the "Round Swamp", from neighbors, Frederick & Alma Shiers who lived at 142 North St. (1915-1926.).
Widow Annie died before 1940 as the Federal census lists Stanislaus as a widower, and two sons Stanley and Edward all residing at 132 North St. The Chelebowski family continues ownership of the property, now 107 years in 2016. Grandson Kenneth Chelebowski and wife Deborah Neas owners of record.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan #7426 - Dec. 1975 lots A & B
Virgil A. & Eliza Ayers - 1854
Nathan Shattuck - June 17, 1854 - b. 17 p. 259
Nathan Shattuck estate, heirs, wid. Mary F. Shattuck, Augusta P. Jenkins
Frederick J. Noyes Jr. - Sept. 9, 1872 - b. 17 p. 258 -
Frederick J. Noyes Jr. estate, heir wid. Isabella M. Noyes
Alvin T. & Helen Knowlton - Aug. 1, 1899 - b. 171 p. 437
Annie Zdon, wife of John - Oct. 24, 1902 - b. 198 p. 566
Maryanna Suda - April 17, 1908 - b. 259 p. 507
Stanislaus Chelebowski - Apr. 29, 1909 - b. 272 p. 551
Stanislaus Chelebowski - July 5, 1923 - b. 482 p. 371 - lot 2 "Round Swamp"
Stanislaus Chelebowski estate - Probate #240,670
Chelebowski heirs: Edward J., Stanley Jr., Genevieve Stopyra, Alice Gilroy
Mary Ann Webber - July 26, 1954 - b. 801 p. 313
Kenneth S. Chelebowski & Deborah Joan Neas - Aug. 15, 1986 - b. 2272 p. 123
Frederick R. & Alma I. Shiers to Stanislaus - July 5, 1923 - b. 482 p. 371 - lot 2 "Round Swamp"
Joseph Chelebowski to Edward J. - June 16, 1953 - b. 777 p. 93
Isabel Jean Chelebowski - June 28, 1976 - b. 1285 p. 339
|Place||North District - West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Noyes - Chelebowski House|
|Construction Date||1870 - 1872|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||siding - mid 20th century|
|Acreage||3.06 acres;40' frontage, 20' from street|
|Map and parcel||127-37|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||2/25/80, 1/31/2016|