Overhang in east gable end, low posted (one end) maybe first period?, good Federal entry.
Several rear additions over the years.
Themes, Architectural, Community Development, Social/Humanitarian.
Subsequent uses - dairy farm -1932, Braeland Farms.
Built by Deeded to Capt. John Lee from Salem, 1779.
This home, said to have been built by Dr. Nehemiah Abbott (1717-1785) on the "old North Parish Road" also known as the "Boston Rd", on the border of the two parishes to serve both North and South Andover as doctor. Dr. Abbott moved to Chelmsford 1770. The property was then owned by Edward Weld and his wife Hannah. Edward sold a 40 acre parcel of land adjoining his farm to Isaac Abbot Jr. on July 12, 1770, recorded on May 3, 1784. This deed suggests ownership in 1770 and Weld may have purchased from Dr. Nehemiah Abbott or family.
Edward Weld sold the homestead lot , one of five parcels, for 6000 pounds to Capt. John Lee of Newburyport, a Mariner, on May 14, 1779 (rec. Feb. 28, 1780). The first parcel contained the homestead, parcel two 20 acres adjoining, lot three 34 acres on the south side of the Boston Rd. (Elm St), lot four 6 acres of woodland at “Merrimack Woods”, and lot five an additional 2 acres of woodland.
Capt. John Lee was b. May 14, 1738 in Manchester, MA, son of John & Joanna (Raymond) Lee. John first married on Nov. 4, 1765 in Marbelhead to Sybelle Breck Cailleteau. They had three sons; David Lee b. Map. 10, 1768, John Lee b. Nov. 17, 1769 and Robert Lee b. June 12, 1772. Sybelle died and John remarried on May 5, 1779 in Newburyport, MA to Hannah Osgood b. Nov. 6, 1754 dau. of Col. John Osgood & Martha Carlton. John and Hannah had four children; Mary b. 1784, Hannah b 1784, John b. May 27, 1788 and Jeremiah b.? Capt. John was a veteran of the Revolutionary War. John died on March 26, 1812 at age 74. He is interred in South Parish Cemetery.
His widow Hannah Lee died on Nov. 6, 1827 in Manchester, MA. Thomas C. Foster was named guardian of Hannah Lee and John Lee, both minors, under the age of 21 in 1828. These children may have been grandchildren. Foster and Benjamin L. & Hannah L. Allen of Manchester sold the Andover property to Hobart Clark on Jan. 28, 1829. A second property in Marblehead, was sold off separately.
The Honorable Hobart Clark, Esquire, b. abt. 1780, married in Tyngsboro, MA on Oct. 24, 1814 to Elizabeth Farwell b. 1795. Hobert Clark was the first president of Merrimack Mutual Fire Insurance Co., served as a Trustee of Abbot Female Academy, appointed U.S Postmaster in Andover on Mar. 25, 1856. Hoard Clark was projector of Andover and Wilmington Railroad (1834-1848) later to become the Boston & Maine Railroad. His homestead was known as "old Clark Place", where he lived for 40 years. Hobart and Elizabeth’s children: John b. Jan. 21, 1816, Eliz. Smith b. May 20, 1817, Peter b. May 16, 1822, son b. Feb. 14, 1824, Elizabeth S. b. Dec. 11, 1825, Sarah Elizabeth bpt. May 5, 1827, William Hovey bpt. May 5, 1827, Caroline B. b. Oct. 11, 1827, Dorothy b. Nov. 10, 1829, Dau. b. Sept. 30, 1833, Lucy Farwell bpt. June 3, 1838. The 1840 census lists twelve people living in the Clark home.
Hobart deeded the property to Lydia Clark, wife of Joseph F. Clark on Feb. 26, 1864 and three years later the homestead was sold to Plato Eames on Sept. 4, 1867 for $3750. It is interesting to note that in the 1870 census Hobart Clark now age 90 is a boarder with the Eames family.
Plato Eames was born on Apr. 7, 1824 in Wentworth, NH son of Jonathan & Dorothy “Dolly” (Page) Plato, a farmer, married the widow Elizabeth Maria (Valpey) Millett on Feb. 22, 1861 at Christ Episcopal Church in Andover. Elizabeth M Valpey b. Sept.6, 1825 - d. Oct. 13, 1911, dau. of Samuel S. & Elizabeth (Abbott) Valpey of Andover. Her brother Samuel G. had the butcher shop in Andover. Elizabeth first married on Dec. 25, 1845 Joseph Ropes Millett b. Dec. 9, 1819 Andover, MA, son of Jonathan & Sarah (Punchard) Millett. His mother Sarah was Benjamin Punchard’s sister. Joseph Millett was a Grocer in Lawrence, MA. and died age 37 on Mar. 31, 1856 in Lawrence, MA. Children: Samuel Valpey Millett b. Feb. 22, 1848 Andover d. Oct. 13, 1863 Newbury, VT Typhiod, Clara L. Millett b. 1852 -d. before 1860 and Harry Lawrence Millett b. July 9, 1853 Andover -d. Feb. 14, 1920 Andover, MA. Elizabeth’s son Harry Lawrence Millett later changed his name to Harry Millett Eames. Plato & Elizabeth did not have children. Plato Eames died on May 10, 1903 at age 79 from heart failure brought on by the Grippe. Elizabeth inherited the 63.7 acre farm. Elizabeth died on Oct. 12, 1911 and her son Harry M. Eames inherits the homestead.
Harry Millett Eames was a wool-sorter in Lawrence and member of Lawrence Fire Dept.. Harry later married on Dec. 21, 1891, at Christ Church in Andover, to Hetty W. Snyder b. in New Bedford, MA dau. of Henry H. & Ann Elizabeth (Howland) Snyder. Harry & Hetty returned to Andover and lived with Plato and Elizabeth. Harry became an Assessor. Harry died on Feb. 14, 1920. Hetty Eames then sold the estate to Smith P. Burton Jr. of Newton, MA on Nov. 4, 1920.
Smith Payne Burton Jr. was born Oct. 26, 1856 in Albany, NY, son of Smith P. & Elizabeth (Strain) Burton. He became a coal merchant in Boston, married on Oct. 4, 1882 in Wakefield, MA to Carrie Lincoln Blake b. Aug. 14, 1860 in Roxbury, MA dau. of George W. & May A. Blake. Smith & Carrie one adopted daughter Katherine b. June 26, 1898. The Burton’s lived in Newton, MA . Carrie Burton died Feb. 19, 1921. Smith remairred about 1927 to Lilla L. Davis. Smith Burton was a gentleman farmer, maintaining his residence in Newton and spending time and money on his model dairy in Andover called “Braeland Farms”. Smith Burton died Sept. 25, 1941 and the farm went to his wife Lilla A. There may have been a dispute over ownership with Burton’s adopted daughter Katherine, as the farm ended up in land court.
Lilla A. Burton was heir to the property and with the death of her husband the working farm ended.
Lilla then sold off parcels of the farm. One of the former barns was converted into a residence by David Klein in the summer of 1946. Two parcels including the old homestead was sold to Howard & Ruth L. Eveleth on July 7, 1948.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA Land Court
Andover Townsman; April 13, 1888; May 15, 1903
Carpenter, Charles C. ; Scrapbook at Andover Historical Society 1887-1915, p. 30
Maps of Andover, 1852, 1872
Andover Historical Society files
Catalog of Loan Collection at Punchard Hall; 250th Anniversary of Andover, 1896, p.37
Land Court Maps #18975 - C, #18975 - A, #18975 - F Lots D-1 & D-5
Dr. Nehemiah Abbott - 1717-1785 moves to Chelmsford 1770.
Edward Weld, wife Hannah - 1770 - 1779 -
Capt. John Lee of Newburyport, MA – May 14, 1779 (rec. 2/28/1780) b. 138 leaf 61
Thomas C. Foster, guardian of Hannah Lee & John Lee - (1828) - Jan. 28, 1829 – b. 251 leaf 245
Benjamin L. & Hannah L. Allen – Jan. 28, 1829 – b. 270 leaf 21
Hobart Clark – Jan. 28, 1829 – b. 251 leafs 243-245
Lydia Clark, wife of Joseph F. Clark – Feb. 26, 1864 – b. 662 leaf 224
Plato Eames – Sept. 4, 1867 – b. 731 leaf 70
Plato Eames estate, heir Elizabeth M. Eames – May 10, 1903 – intestate
Elizabeth M. Eames estate, heir Harry M. Eames – Oct. 12, 1911 – Probate #112,438
Harry M. Eames estate, heir Hetty M. – Feb. 14, 1920 – Probate #135,529
Smith P. Burton, Jr. – Nov. 4, 1920 – b. 433 p. 350
Lilla A. Burton – Nov. 27, 1940 – b. 634 p. 589 – Sheriffs deed
Lilla A. Burton – Nov. 27, 1940 – b. 636 p. 110
Lilla A. Burton – July 23, 1942 – b. 652 p. 422
Lilla A. Burton - May. 2, 1944 – b. 663 p. 415 - Notice
Lilla A. Burton – Oct. 30, 1944 – Certf. #2935 b. 20 p. 141
Howard & Ruth L. Eveleth - July 7, 1948 - Certf. #3403 Doc. #9788
Ruth L. Eveleth and E. Allen & Margaret O. Larter - Nov. 7, 1949 - Certf. #3545 b. 24 p. 193
Stephen H. & Dorothy Brennan, Jr. - June 1, 1951 - Certf. #3720 b. 25 p. 281
Theodore C. & Florence B. Hamblet - Mar. 27, 1961 - Certf. #5046 b. 34 p. 185
Luke A. & Madelyn M. Camarota, Jr. - Nov. 1, 1984 - Certf. #9557 b. 66 p. 233
Kenneth G. & Gail C. Berquist - Mar. 31, 2000 - Certf. #13419 b. 104 p. 373
Roger Marc Fournier & Nanette Conte - Feb. 26, 2010 - Certf. #16246
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Abbott, Dr. Nehemiah - Lee, Capt. John House|
|Original Use||doctor's residence|
|Construction Date||ca. 1748|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Acreage||less than one acre, 24,537 sq. ft. , approximate frontage on Elm St. 223 ft., on Burton, 145 ft.|
|Map and parcel||2-3|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77 - 1991, 2/24/2016|