Other features: porch, dormers later addition; entries on gable ends and in center front - bracketed door hood/ unusual architecture
Present owner (1977): Phillips Academy
Original owner: Andover Theological Seminary & P.A Trustees
Subsequent uses: Abbot Academy boarding house after 1926
Themes: Architectural, community development, Religion
Historical significance: House was moved here to the SW corner of Main and Morton Streets from behind the Andover Theological Seminary buildings on the Hill where it had served as a dining hall for the students. It stood back of Phillips Hall, 1809.
Fitz William Rogers bought from Andover Theological Seminary trustees, moved it, reconstructed and lived in part of it. Original building considerably altered.
Mr. Rogers also built next double house at #141 Main, which was the first paint colored house on the street. (later owned by Mrs. Whittemore and Mr. Tracy, 1900)
In 1900 Alice Rogers owned #135 - 137 and lived in the home. (Real Estate Valuation). Abbot Academy owned 1926 (as dormitory).
1962 resident/owners - Mrs. John Angus and Mary Angus.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Carter, Emily: "Walk up Main Street from Punchard to Wheeler in Year 1850"
Andover Townsman, Jan. 22, 1934
Fitz William Rogers - Dec. 9, 1874 - b. 32 p. 119 mtg - See b. 440 leaf 231 Salem deed
Fitz William & Mary C. Rogers
Fitz William Rogers estate, William C. Rogers, Ellen Rogers, heirs - May 1881
Lydia N. Rogers - Sept. 24, 1881 - b. 65 p. 385
George W. R. & Inez M. R. Hill estate Probate
George W. R. Hill, guardian for George R. Hill & Roger R. Hill - Nov. 26, 1906
Caroline A. Phelps - Dec. 7, 1906 - b. 241 p. 185
Caroline A. Phelps, estate, Chester W. Holland heir - Apr. 29, 1926
Trustees of Abbot Academy - July 23, 1926 - b. 524 p. 123
Trustees of Phillips Academy - July 2, 1973 - b. 1222 p. 85 - [see p. 88]
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Phillips Academy Steward's House|
|Present Use||residence - 4 apartments|
|Original Use||P.A. Steward's residence and dining hall for Theological students|
|Construction Date||old part may date from 1809|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Architect/Builder||'David Hidden' period|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||considerably (ca. 1850s)|
|Move Details||ca. 1850s|
|Acreage||0.239 acre; Lot size: 10,420 sq. ft.; Approx. frontage: Morton Street 90', Main Street 118'|
|Map and parcel||40-31|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, (cwo), James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 3/19/2015|