This property was once part of the Sarah Downing farm at 269 Highland Road. With the death of Sarah Downing her children held the farmhouse and began selling off portions of the farm land and orchards.
On April 22, 1905 Emanuel Downing and his sister Isabella Gallagher Oburg trustees, of the Sarah Downing estate sold a two acre parcel to Harland E. Symonds.
Harland Edwin Symonds [Jonas, Frederick, Frederick Jr.] born March 10, 1880 son of Frederick Jr. & Sarah E. (Berry) Symonds. Harland was a farmer working on his grandfather’s farm on Willow St in North Andover in 1905 when he purchased this land on Summer Street. His widowed Aunt Laura T. Symonds Batchelder had purchased the home across the street in 1901.
Harland sold off one acre of his lot to his Aunt Nellie F. (Symonds) Sawyer, wife of Henry E. Sawyer on Apr. 20, 1911. Harland's father was Frederick Jr. brother to Laura T. Batchelder and Nellie Sawyer.
Nellie Symonds was born in December 1862 in North Andover at the family farm on Willow Street, daughter of Frederick & Sarah E. (Berry) Symonds. Nellie married on March 15, 1880 to Henry Sawyer b. December 1860 in Andover, MA son of Francis & Belinda (Parker) Sawyer of Andover. They first lived in Lawrence on Oxford Street. Henry was a Teamster in 1900 and in 1910 a farmer “working out”. Henry later worked at the Tyer Rubber Co. in Andover.
Henry & Nellie were then living at 78 Summer Street and in 1911 purchased an acre of land at 100 Summer St. [now #138] and built a house across the street from her sister Laura T. Batchelder Lucke. Nellie & Henry had three children while living in Lawrence. Nellie died January 19, 1926 and her husband Henry died the following year on November 12, 1927. Both were interred at West Parish Cemetery in Andover as were their two daughters, Florence and Lotta. Children; Son Sawyer b. about 1882 - d. young Lawrence, MA, Florence E. Sawyer b. April 15, 1885 - d. Sept. 17. 1940 and Lotta M. Sawyer - b. Feb. 16, 1887 - d. Sept. 12, 1963 Lawrence, MA.
After Nellie died Henry Sawyer sold the property to Charles S. & Henrietta Pike on June 29, 1926. The Pike family and their heirs held the property until 1960.
Charles Sumner Pike was b.Nov. 6, 1856 in Sebago, ME and married on Dec. 15, 1883 in Andover to Henrietta Bailey b. June 11, 1863 in Berlin, NH. Charles was a farmer and they lived in West Andover. They later retired to Summer St. home. Charles died on Feb. 28, 1936 age 75. Henrietta Pike then sells to her son Warren A. his wife Bertha Mae Pike and step daughter Mary Sutton on Nov. 17, 1938. Bertha was the widow of Richard Sutton who died in 1913. Warren & Bertha married on Dec. 24, 1920. His mother Henrietta died on Mar. 11, 1942 and Warren died on Sept. 7, 1949. All are interred at West Parish Cemetery. Bertha S. Pike her daughter Mary Sutton Bixby held the property until selling to Theodor & Mary Pfeil Oct. 24, 1960.
The Pfeil family owned the property for 12 years. Their sons graduated from Andover High School. Mary was an Artist and Art teacher at West Jr. High School before retiring to Port Clyde, Maine with her husband Ted.
Robert E. & Elizabeth Gottfrield bought the home from Pfeil on June 9, 1972 but owned six years before selling to Constance H. & Donald J. Travers on May 31, 1978.
Recent owners include; Michael & Elsie W. Miller, Jr. - Apr. 29, 1986
Jeremy & Lori Bromberg - Oct. 28, 1992
George S. & Hope Woodward - July 29, 1997
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories
v. f. Street
Joseph R & Sally Bassett - Nov. 15, 1871 - b. 12 pgs 11 & 235
Sarah Downing - Oct. 23, 1972 - b. 18 p. 209
Sarah Downing estate, Emanuel Downing, Isabella Gallagher Trs. - Feb. 1, 1894
Harland E. Symonds - April 22, 1905 - b. 222 p. 393
Nellie F. Sawyer, wife of Henry E. Sawyer - Apr. 20, 1911 - b. 304 p. 371
Charles S. & Henrietta Pike - June 29, 1926 - b. 523 p. 152
Charles S. Pike estate, Henrietta Pike heir
Warren A. & Bertha S. Pike & Mary Sutton - Nov. 17, 1938 - b. 619 p. 96
Bertha S. Pike & Mary Sutton Bixby - Sept. 7, 1949
Theodor & Mary Pfeil - Oct. 24, 1960 - b. 925 p. 226
Robert E. & Elizabeth Gottfrield - June 9, 1972 - b. 1196 p. 383
Elizabeth C. Gottfrield - Mar. 17, 1977 - b. 1304 p. 525
Constance H. & Donald J. Travers - May 31, 1978 - b. 1340 p. 34
Michael & Elsie W. Miller, Jr. - Apr. 29, 1986 - b. 2719 p. 193
Jeremy & Lori Bromberg - Oct. 28, 1992 - b. 3581 p. 23
George S. & Hope Woodward - July 29, 1997 - b. 4805 p. 57
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Nellie & Henry Sawyer House|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Small barn / garage|
|Map and parcel||4-64|
|Recorded by||Sean Craft, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||11 Jun 1991, Mar. 17, 2015|