Two family duplex style
This house is listed in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1977 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village.
The building was probably constructed by Edward Fleming who purchased the land on June 27, 1908 from the John Barrett estate. It was Edward T. Fleming that developed the house lots along Hillside Ave. in 1923. The estate consisted of two parcels of land on Haverhill St. adjoining the Boston & Maine Railroad and along what was to become Hillside Avenue now Fleming Ave. Originally the street went straight up the hill on the east side of the store on Haverhill St. and was probably the driveway to the Barrett house at #4 Fleming and Alexander Cohen’s home #56 Haverhill St..
Edward Fleming sold the property to John L. & Mary Wilkinson on Nov. 2, 1946. Wilkinson owned for six years then sold to John A. & Ruth S. Homer on June 23, 1952. Homer owned for seven years then selling to Richard A. & Yamile H. Wood on July 31, 1959.
Robert A. & Cecile R. Dery then purchased the home on Jan. 27, 1970 and held for 18 years.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Plans #528 Aug. 10, 1923 Hillside Ave, #830 Aug. 1930, plan of Hillside, #928 Edward Fleming
William Lawson - 1856
John Barrett -
John Barrett - Nov. 17, 1891 - b. 116 p. 366 - Cohen house & 2a lot
John Barrett - July 3, 1900 - b. 178 p. 230 – 232 two parcels
John Barrett estate, Jane Barrett, trustee - 1901
Edward Fleming - June 27, 1908 - b. 262 p. 346
John L. & Mary Wilkinson - Nov. 2, 1946 - b. 691 p. 196
John A. & Ruth S. Homer - June 23, 1952 - b. 764 p. 154
Richard A. & Yamile H. Wood - July 31, 1959 - b. 898 p. 415
Robert A. & Cecile R. Dery - Jan. 27, 1970 - b. 1148 p. 162
Louis D. & Lisa N. (Moca) Terranova - Aug. 18, 1988 - b. 2790 p. 209
Karen E. (Murphy) & Carl R. Simmonds - Jan. 30, 1990 - b. 3062 p. 346
Andover Bank - Jan. 30, 1990 - b. 3062 p. 347 mtg.
Mortgage Guaranty Ins. Corp. - July 11, 1998 - b. 5102 p. 344 mtg deed
Mortgage Guaranty Ins. Corp. - Oct. 19, 1998 - b. 5240 p. 167
John W. & Bridgette E. Norton - Dec. 7, 1998 - b. 5273 p. 305
Abdel Amrani Hanchi - May 1, 2000 - b. 5738 p. 22
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Present Use||residence - two family|
|Original Use||residence - two family|
|Construction Date||1923 - 1924|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architect/Builder||Edward Fleming builder|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||18-7|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 3/3/2016|