Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Arundel Street takes its name from Arundel Castle, a restored medieval castle in Arundel, West Sussex, England. home to the Dukes of Norfolk. All the streets in Shawsheen Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Arundel Street is unique to Shawsheen Village as nearly every home on the street was designed by a local and internationally acclaimed architect/craftsman Addison B. LeBoutillier.
Architect Addison B. LeBoutillier was born in Utica, NY on July 5, 1872. He trained under O.K. Foote in Rochester, NY. He worked briefly with the Boston firm of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge Addison is hired as a graphic designer for the Grueby Faience Co. of Boston (1898-1909). In 1905 LeBoutillier and family move to Andover, MA purchasing an old farmhouse at 10 Orchard St. Addison redesigns the house, later moves his barn and converts it into a new house for his family at 14 Orchard.
LeBoutillier partnerd with Hubert Ripley as Ripley and LeBoutillier Architects, Boston. The firm is awarded the design contract for the new Punchard High School wing in 1916. (now Town Office Building). LeBoutillier is hired by Wm. M. Wood of the American Woolen Co. to design homes for the new Shawsheen Village in 1921-22. Addison also designed the Shawsheen School in 1923.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were Robert F. & Edna S. Partch. Robert's occupation is listed as clerk. In 1928 Byron Goodrich resides at 14 Arundel.
This house was sold to Gordon M. & Louise L. Thompson on June 1, 1940. Gordon b. 1904 was a chemist S. M. Louise was b. 1908. The Thompson family owned for 22 years then selling to John F. & Mary R. Battles on Dec. 13, 1962.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#878 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #50
See #7 Argyle St. for Town Farm history
Samuel Abbot - 1804 - 90 acre farm
Inhabitants of Town of Andover - 1807 – 1921 – Town Farm
Varter & Havenes Dagdegian - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 503
Town of Andover, Geo. C. H. Dufton - July 12, 1921 - b. 443 p. 505 - 13.66 A
Town of Andover, July 12, 1921 - Town Meeting Nov. 1, 1921 sell
American Woolen Co., Wm. M. Wood - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 296 - 12.56 acres - lot 1
American Woolen Co.- Nov. 15, 1921 - b. 450 p. 342 - 10 acres- lot 2
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 15th parcel
Gordon M. & Louise L. Thompson - June 1, 1940 - b. 631 p. 432
John F. & Mary R. Battles - Dec. 13, 1962 - b. 975 p. 409
Frederick J. & Dorothy L. Graham - Sept. 20, 1968 - b. 1115 p. 42
Frederick J. Graham estate, Dorothy L. Graham heir.
Dorothy L. Graham - sells on Aug. 15, 2013 -
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Gordon & Louise Thompson House|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Addison Le Boutillier|
|Roof||hip - slate|
|Major Alterations||Replacement windows|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||36-64|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/11/2015|