Style: old style
This house has 0.305 acres of land. A one family home with clapboard exterior and asphalt gable roof. It has 7 rooms, 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, with some later additions and a pool. It has a small front open porch, is 2 storied and attic in height.
This property at 14 Chester St. was formerly numbered #22 in the 1940's. The Town did a renumbering plan in 1958 to accommodate future home lots. In the 1959 Street Directories it reflects the new house numbers.
The 1888 map of Ballardvale Center is the first that shows the new road Chester St. (planned in 1885) and its extension with just two houses on the south side of the street. The first is marked J. W. Morrison and the second is A. C. Richardson.
John M. Morrison of Boston owned the property in in 1885 and sold this lot to Adam Clark Richardson an Andover carpenter on July 6, 1887. The parcel is located 527 ft. from the corner of Clark Rd. once known as Lowell Street. The parcel is noted at lot #10 on a1885 plan map of Morrison's sub-division and contained 10,602 sq. feet. Richardson built the house and then sold it to Mary Galvin for $1550 on Dec. 27, 1889.
Mary Galvin owned the home for 20 years. She sold the property on Oct. 15, 1909 to Henry Buckley. The Buckley family would own for the next 65 years. The Andover Valuation Schedule 1920, lists Buckley's property as house $1100. and 1/2 acre of land $200. Henry worked for the Boston & Maine Railroad taking care of the grounds around the stations as a gardener. Henry died on December 9, 1940 and his wife Clara was heir to the property. Clara died on Aug. 9, 1956 and the house then went to their children; daughter Beatrice M. Jones, wife of Cecil C. Jones who lived across the street at 15 Chester St. and Lionel F. Buckley who lived next door at 10 Chester. St.
Later owned by Larry and Majorie Douglas.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Assessor's Valuation real estate
Maps of Ballardvale
Map plan #2802 - July 1953 - Christine Forsythe - sub-divide
Map plan #14791 -Apr. 19, 2004 - Stephen Marshall - lot B & AVIS
John M. Morrison of Boston - 1885
Adam Clark Richardson - July 6, 1887, rec. 2/4/1888 - b. 94 p. 384
Mary Galvin - Dec. 27, 1889 - b. 104 p. 177
Henry Buckley - Oct. 15, 1909 - b. 280 p. 189
Henry Buckley estate, Clara Buckley heir - Dec. 9, 1940 - Probate #252904
Clara Buckley estate, heirs, Beatrice M. Jones, Lionel F. Buckley - Aug. 9, 1956 - Probate
Larry R. & Marjorie L. Douglas - Oct. 5, 1965 - b. 1045 p. 290
Seth D. Holden & Janis M. Kildahl - Sept. 26, 1997 - b. 4852 p. 142
Seth & Janis M. Holden - July 3, 2000 - b. 5827 p. 119
Seth & Janis M. Holden - Jun. 23, 2004 - b. 8879 p. 49
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||Mary Galvin - Henry Buckley House|
|Construction Date||1887 - 1888|
|Architect/Builder||Adam C. Richardson/builder|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||pool (1987)|
|Major Alterations||wood deck in rear, ell on west side enlarged|
|Map and parcel||138-64|
|Recorded by||Ruth A. Sharpe (BallardvaleHistoric District) James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||June 1998, 2/7/2017|