Gothic Revival, also known as Carpenter Gothic, 3 chimneys; long front window; enclosed porch added at side rear; excellent sawn barge board "ginger bread" detailing
Themes: architectural; community development
In 1990 the street name was changed from High Street in Ballardvale to High Vale Lane to avoid confusion with High Street in Andover Center. In 1958 several streets were re-numbered to plan for future building infill. 26 High St. became 14 High St.
Much of High Vale Lane was developed in the late 1870's but this home predates most by thirty years and may have been the first built on the bluff above the Shawsheen River with a view of the mills below and the village that would emerge soon after.
This property was originally owned by John Marland during his development of the Ballardvale Mills. John Marland sold off several building lots in 1847 in the village. Job. Abbot purchased this lot #23 for $667.50 on October 1, 1847. The parcel contained 13,350 sq. feet of land. The deed was recorded the following March 3, 1848. Within the deed was a condition that "said lot to be supplied by aqueduct water at an expense not exceeding ten dollars a year."
It is thought that Captain Job Abbott built this house for his daughter at the time of her marriage. Job Abbot did indeed deed the property, with dwelling house, to his daughter Joanna (Abbott) Dole, wife of William A. Dole for five dollars, "with love and good will" on March 4, 1848. The water condition was also referenced to her in the deed.
Joanna Abbott was born Nov. 4, 1828 in Andover. She married on Jan. 20, 1848 to William Albert Dole b. April 7, 1818 in Haverhill, MA son of Paul & Mary L. (Chase) Dole. William was a Trader or Merchant. It is not known what happened, but the marriage did not last. Joanna would remarry to William Erving b. 1826 in NY. They would have two children; Abbott b. 1858 in NY and Harriette "Hattie" Louise b. 1860 in NY. The family is listed in the Mass. State 1865 census in Andover, MA. It appears that William's work kept him in New York. The 1880 census lists Joanna, Abbott and Hattie in Andover. Abbott is 22, a farm laborer and Hattie 19, a teacher at the Holt District School at Salem, St. and Gray Rd. from 1880-1885. Joanna Erving had sold the property to Felix G. Haynes on May 7, 1878.
Felix Grundy. Haynes born May 27, 1840 Trenton, Hancock, Maine, son of William & Roxalanna (Thomas) Haynes. Felix married in 1868 to Ada F. Fletcher, b. Jan. 1847 in England, dau. of John & Batsheba (Schofield) Fletcher. She grew up in NYC., her father was a Music Teacher. Felix owned a grocery and dry goods store “F.G. Haynes & Co. Retail Grocers “at the corner of Andover & River Streets. This home is just above the store on the bluff and one can imagine Felix descending the cement stairway across the street from St. Joseph’s Church, each morning to open his market.
Felix and Ada had six children of which only one survived to adulthood. Children; Sarah Elizabeht b. Sept. 8, 1869, Willie b. June 1871 d. Mar. 11, 1872, Florence Ada b. June 25, 1874, Amelia Tennetta C. b. 1876 d. Jan. 9, 1882, John Fletcher b. Feb. 2, 1878 and Grace Augusta b. Oct. 16, 1880 d, Jan. 24, 1862.
In the 1870 Census, Felix has his younger brother Bancroft T. Haynes age 19, living with him and working as a clerk in the store. Bancroft married on Nov. 3, 1873 in Andover to Charlotte "Lottie" E. Silbey b. Mar. 18, 1853 in Boston, dau. of Henry D. & Lucy Jane Silbey. Bancroft became a partner in his brother’s business for a few years. He would purchase a home on Tewksbury St.
Felix and Ada’s youngest daughter Grace A. married on October 12, 1903 in Ballardvale to Joseph Edgar Stott, born Oct. 29, 1876, in Ballardvale, son of Thomas E. & Mary E. (Bannister) Stott. Joseph’s father was a wool sorter in the Ballard Vale Mills and they lived on River St. Joseph was a book keeper at the mill. Grace and Joseph would make their home with her parents here on High St. (High Vale Lane).
Ada Haynes died on July 10, 1912 of influenza and heat stroke. Felix died on Jan. 13, 1918 and both are interred at Spring Grove Cemetery. Daughter Grace would inherit the home as the only surviving heir. Grace and Joseph did not have children. Grace died on Jan. 1, 1962 and Joseph on April 9, 1964.
1884 atlas: Erving, reportedly Joanna Abbott's second husband
1890: Felix and Bancroft Haynes.* Bancroft was the artist of the "Ballardvale" painting
1900: Grace Haynes, daughter of Felix marries Joseph Stott and lives her until the 1960s
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1855, 1872, 1884, 1888, 1906
Andover and North Andover Historical Society files
Chickering, Jacob; Miscellaneous Records, Accounts: North Andover Historical Society
May, 1991 Andover Preservation award
Map plan #5353 - Aug. 1, 1965 - Max Russell - second parcel
Map plan # 5771 - Sept. 27, 1966 - Max Russell - part two
Map plan #40413 A - Jan. 2, 1980 - first parcel
Ancestry.com - Abbott and Haynes families
John Marland - land lot #23
Job Abbot - Oct. 1, 1847 rec. Mar. 3, 1848 - b. 394 leaf 223 - lot 23
Joanna (Abbot) Dole, wife of William A. Dole - Mar. 4, 1848 - b. 394 leaf 227
Joanna (Abbot) [Dole] Erving, wife of William Erving - June 8, 1876 - b. 41 p. 493 - mtg
Felix G. Haynes - May 7, 1878 - b. 51 p. 106 - $1500
Felix G. Haynes - Oct. 24, 1899 - b. 172 p. 498 - strip of land
Felix G. Haynes estate, Grace A. (Haynes) Stott, heir - 1937
Grace A. & Joseph E. Stott - Mar. 8, 1937 - b. 605 p. 538
Grace A. Stott estate, heir Joseph E. Stott - Jan. 24, 1962 - died - Probate
Joseph E. Stott estate, James S> Eastman, Extr - Nov. 5, 1964 - Probate #279457
Max D. & Meredith L. Russell - Nov. 27, 1964 - b. 1023 p. 293 & 293
Max D. & Meredith L. Russell - Oct. 15, 1965 - b. 1046 p. 187 - 3rd parcel
Max D. & Meredith L. Russell - July 22, 1980 - - land court Certificate #8533
Mark E. Engelberg & Susan T. Foster - Oct. 10. 1980 - Ctf. #8587
14 High Street Trust, Alan Goodman trustee - Sept. 19, 1985 - Ctf. #9806
Susan T. Foster - Mar. 4, 2002 - Ctf. #13873
Susan T. Foster Family Trust, Susan T. Foster Tr. - July 24, 2009 - Ctf. # 16128
William D. Ezell - June 14, 2013 - Ctf. #16945
|Street||High Vale Ln|
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Abbott - Dole/Erving - Haynes House|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Gothic Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Jacob Chickering, builder|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||small shed attached|
|Major Alterations||porch added|
|Acreage||1.98 acres. 30,045 square feet; approx. frontage 118'|
|Map and parcel||139-51|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 12/13/2016|