Themes: architectural, community development.
This structure was originally a carriage house of John L. Abbott at 57-59 Central Street, and moved here
Original owner: John Lovejoy Abbot
The Upton House at 132 Main St. was built by Edward C. Upton on land purchased from the Trustees of Phillips Academy in 1848. Upton built the house on the corner of Main Street (Essex Turnpike) and Morton Street (formerly called East Green and Pike Street). The house at 14 Morton was a portion of Upton’s lot which he sold to Hannah A. Jaquith for $1000 on May 1, 1872. The deed does not mention buildings but the following deed of release from Phillips Academy to Upton states “the land and buildings described in the within deed of Edward C Upton to Hannah A. Jaquith” PA held Upton’s mortgage.
Hannah Abbott Jaquith was born on Mar. 10, 1816 in Andover, dau. of James & Phebe (Goldsmith) Jaquith. Hannah was the second of 12 children, never married and was a seamstress. Hannah lived in this house with her brother Henry A. b. May 15, 1829, a twin to Heneritta. Henry was a shoe cutter and worked for Jacob W. Barnard’s Shoe Manufacturing Co. at 9 Barnard St. in 1885 as did his brother Newton. Hannah died of pneumonia on Jan. 31, 1900 at age 83.and is interred in South Parish Cemetery. Henry died Aug. 19, 1911 age 82y. from a fall with a lighted lamp, which broke, burning him about the face, head and upper part of his body. The medical examiner listed probable cause was heart failure with the fall upon the lamp a contributory cause.
The property remained in the Jaquith family for 60 years and was used as rental property. It was deeded to their great nephew Newton in 1927, son of Newton & Laura, and transferred to his sister Mary A. Jaquith who lived with him at his farm 400 South Main St. (Fieldstones).
Harry J. Fisher and Eliza J. Fisher purchased the property on Nov. 17, 1932.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Edward C. Upton, wife Eliza - 1872 - lot of land
Hannah A. Jaquith - May 1, 1872 - b. 14, p. 255
Hannah A. Jaquith estate, Jan.31, 1900, heir Henry Jaquith
Henry Jaquith estate, Aug. 19, 1911, Harry Jaquith - Adm. -Nov. 17, 1912 - b. 325 p. 341 - 342
Newton Jaquith - July 22, 1927 b. 534 p. 166
Mary Alice Jaquith - July 22, 1927 - b. 534 p. 166
Harry J. & Eliza J. Fisher - Nov. 17, 1932 - b. 567 p. 488
Harry J. Fisher estate, heir Eliza J. Fisher -
Geneva H. Killorin - Oct. 18, 1943 - b. 660 p. 494
Harold J. & Gladys K. Wightman - May. 2, 1955 - b. 812 p. 137
Harold J. Wightman estate, Gladys K. Wightman
Raymond N. & Margaret A. Pike III - June 26, 1991 - b. 3275 p. 163
Julie M. Fitzgerald, Michael W. Motsinger - Sept. 24, 2013 - b. 13644 p. 316
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Abbott, John Lovejoy Carriage House|
|Original Use||carriage house|
|Construction Date||1780 - 1840's|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||aluminum siding added 1973|
|Move Details||circa 1870-72|
|Acreage||0.043 acre - 1,860 sq. ft.; approximate frontage 40'|
|Map and parcel||40-44|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 4/6/2015, 1/2/2021|