Colonial Revival, Bungalow inspired design
William Street was originally named Warwick Street when Shawsheen Village was laid out. The name was changed by a vote at a special Town Meeting on November 13, 1922 in memory of William M. Wood Jr., son of William M. & Ellen (Ayer) Wood, who died in an automobile accident on Aug. 15, 1922.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
This property however, is one of a few that were sold directly by the American Woolen Co. to George L. & Anna D. Graham on Feb. 5, 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the A.W.Co. In the 1926 Directory George is listed as Traffic Manager for the American Woolen Co. or a comptroller today. George & Anna had a son Robert Graham.
Graham sold to Alice A. Wilson on Aug. 17, 1929 wife of Walter C. Wilson. Walter inherited the property from Alice's estate in 1937.
Walter C. Wilson b. 1890 was the Treasurer of the Andrew Wilson Company, of Lawrence, MA, a roofing company established by his father about 1900. It is stated that the Wilson Co. did the roofing job on the Ayer Mill in Lawrence. In 1947 the company refitted to sheet metal fabrication, producing metal cabinets, lockers, shelving and library stock. Walter was then the owner of the company. Walter's first wife was Alice Andrew and they had two children, Jean and Walter Jr. Walter later re-married to Mildred Woodbury, b. 1909 an RN. In 1953 Wilson built a new home at 78 Cheever Circle in Johnson Acres off Elm St. The property was sold to Richard A. & Mary E. McGovern on June 1, 1953.
Richard Aloysius McGovern b. 1914 in Andover, son Sylvester A. McGovern, lived on a farm on North St. his father operating a rendering plant and later a dairy farm. Dick worked as a teenager at Keegan & Caffrey Market, S. Broadway, Lawrence, where they had Mr. Graham, the first home owner's account. (Worked winter 1932 - 1933). Dick or "Red" as he was called by classmates graduated from Punchard High School in 1932. He was fondly remembered as the best cheerleader at the football games to stir up the crowd spirit. Dick would become an Obstetrician, becoming a senior staff physician at Holy Family Hospital in Methuen and Lawrence General Hospital. During his career it is said he delivered over 15,000 babies.
Dick served two years as a medical officer during WWII and saw service on Tinian and a year later with the occupational forces in Japan. Dick also served on the Lawrence Housing Authority.
Dick married Mary E. Hastings, a Registered Nurse and they had four children, Elizabeth, Susan Ellen and Richard Jr. Mary died on April 6, 1972 and Dick would re-marry Edna Hamel Lamontagne in 1974. They had one daughter, Amy Catherine.
Edna Irene McGovern was deeded the property on Dec. 11, 1986. Douglas E. & Diane Miller purchased the home on June 11, 1993.
The Miller family moved from Texas, via a corporate relocation. They were here on 16 months but were then transferred back to Texas. The did however up dated the kitchen and bathrooms during their ownership.
James F. & Annette G. Lotterer purchased the home on Oct. 24, 1994. They would reside here for 19 years. The arrived from Connecticut via a corporate relocation. with the accounting firm of Coopers & Lybrand's Consulting Practice in Boston of which James was a partner. Annette was a home maker and did volunteer work at some area hospitals. They had three children; Sean, Shannon and Scott.
The Lotterers sold to Douglas W. & Gabrielle M. Queenin on Dec. 4, 2013.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company
Historical Significance - The McGovern House - 14 William St. by James & Annette Lotterer
Interview by Walter "Bud" Wilson Jr. - 28 William St.
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
George L. & Anna D. Graham - Feb. 5, 1924 - b. 495 p. 161
Alice A. Wilson - Aug. 17, 1929 - b. 547 p. 508
Alice A. Wilson estate, Walter C. Wilson, heir, by will - Probate 1939
Margaret G. Hurley - Aug. 29, 1939 - b. 625 p. 152 - deed transfer
Walter C. & Mildred W. Wilson - Aug. 20, 1939 - b. 625 p. 153
Richard A. & Mary E. McGovern - June 1, 1953 - b. 776 p. 290
Mary E. McGovern estate, Richard A. McGovern, heir Mary d. April 6, 1972
Richard A. & Edna McGovern - Oct. 17, 1975 - b. 1269 p. 584
Richard A. McGovern Jr., Trustee - Mar. 4, 1985 - b. 1935 p. 313 - Trust
Richard A. McGovern Jr., Trustee - Mar. 4, 1985 - b. 1935 p. 315
Edna Irene McGovern - Dec. 11, 1986 - b. 2377 - p. 257
Douglas E. & Diane Miller - June 11, 1993 - b. 3756 p. 94
James F. & Annette G. Lotterer - Oct. 24, 1994 - b. 4155 p. 317
Douglas W. & Gabrielle M. Queenin - Dec. 4, 2013 - b. 13720 p. 258
Building marker 1990
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Graham - Wilson - McGovern House|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Albright & Patten|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||52-97|
|Recorded by||Richard Mc Govern, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Aug 1989, June 21, 2015|