Neo - Colonial - Garrison Colonial style as second story juts out over first floor.
Note acorn detail on overhang corners.
This property was once owned by the Trustees of Andover Theological Seminary and included the house at 148 Main St.. The property was sold to Frederick N & M. Genevieve Chandler on Aug. 15, 1919.
Frederick N. Chandler died on Dec. 28, 1940 and his wife M. Genevieve Chandler became sole owner. Genevieve held the property fot two more years selling to Carola Elliot Goriansky on Mar. 20, 1942.
Carola E. Goriansky and her husband Lev. V. sub-divided the property and sold off this lot to Fred K. & Lena M. Fowler on Oct. 9, 1947. The Folwers built the Neo- Colonial house on the lot about 1949-1950. The Fowlers owned the property for 9 years then selling to William R. & Agnes C. Wholey on Aug. 24, 1956.
The Wholey family owned the property for 40 years. Agnes Wholey died on Feb. 4, 1971. Her husband William R. Wholey then placed the property jointly with their son William R. Wholey Jr. on May 24, 1972. William Jr. became sole heir on June 10, 1987.
James H. & Susan G. Duda purchased the property on Apr. 30, 1996. It was later placed into Duda Realty Trust, James H. & Susan G. Duda Trustees on Apr. 23, 2009. The home was enlarged and converted into a Two-Family home.
Although not historic to the Phillips District the propery is within the Academy Hill National Register Historic District.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See map 310 - Andover Theological Sem. 1908
Trustees of Andover Theological Seminary - July 1, 1908 - b. 267 p. 10 [pgs 18-19]
Frederick N & M. Genevieve Chandler - Aug. 15, 1919 - b. 405 p. 422
M. Genevieve Chandler - Dec. 28, 1940
Carola Elliot Goriansky - Mar. 20, 1942 - b. 649 p. 200
Fred K. & Lena M. Fowler - Oct. 9, 1947 - b. 703 p. 518
William R. & Agnes C. Wholey - Aug. 24, 1956 - b. 840 p. 5
William R. Wholey - Feb. 4, 1971
William R. Wholey & William R. Wholey Jr. -May 24, 1972 - b. 1193 p. 768
William R. Wholey Jr. - June 10, 1987 - b. 2518 p. 276
James H. & Susan G. Duda - Apr. 30, 1996 - b. 4490 p. 6
Duda Realty Trust, James H. & Susan G. Duda - Apr. 23, 2009 - b. 11558 p. 148
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Fowler - Wholey House|
|Present Use||residences - 2 family|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Conversion into 2 family|
|Map and parcel||40-55|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||March 20, 2015|