141 Elm Street

Architectural Description: 

Federal period, Gambrel roof

Historical Narrative: 

The deeds to this property of land reveal a partial story of the one half acre of land with "small dwelling house on land formerly of Lee Farm", located at 134 Elm Street. One deed states the dwelling house formerly occupied by Dudley Dole.

The home at 134 Elm is said to have been built by Dr. Nehemiah Abbott (1717-1785) on the "old North Parish Road". Dr. Abbott moved to Chelmsford 1770. The property was then owned by Edward Weld and his wife Hannah. Weld sold a 40 acre parcel of land adjoining his farm to Isaac Abbot Jr. on July 12, 1770, recorded on May 3, 1784. This deed suggests the Weld ownership in 1770 and Weld may have purchased from Dr. Nehemiah Abbott or family.

Edward Weld sold the homestead lot , one of five parcels, for 6000 pounds to Capt. John Lee of Newburyport, a Mariner, on May 14, 1779 (rec. Feb. 28, 1780). The first parcel contained the homestead (134 Elm), parcel two - 20 acres adjoining, lot three - 34 acres on the south side of the Boston Rd. (Elm St), lot four - 6 acres of woodland at “Merrimack Woods”, and lot five - an additional 2 acres of woodland.

Capt. John Lee was b. May 14, 1738 in Manchester, MA, son of John & Joanna (Raymond) Lee. John first married on Nov. 4, 1765 in Marbelhead to Sybelle Breck Cailleteau. They had three sons; David Lee b. Map. 10, 1768, John Lee b. Nov. 17, 1769 and Robert Lee b. June 12, 1772. Sybelle died and John remarried on May 5, 1779 in Newburyport, MA to Hannah Osgood b. Nov. 6, 1754 dau. of Col. John Osgood & Martha Carlton. John and Hannah had four children; Mary b. 1784, Hannah b 1784, John b. May 27, 1788 and Jeremiah b.? Capt. John was a veteran of the Revolutionary War. John died on March 26, 1812 at age 74. He is interred in South Parish Cemetery.

His widow Hannah Lee died on Nov. 6, 1827 in Manchester, MA. Thomas C. Foster was named guardian of Hannah Lee and John Lee, both minors, under the age of 21 in 1828. These children may have been grandchildren. Foster and Benjamin L. & Hannah L. Allen, of Manchester, sold the Andover property to Hobart Clark on Jan. 28, 1829. This property at 147 Elm St. and a second property in Marblehead, was sold off separately.

Harriet Dole, a single woman, purchased the 1/2 acre with "small dwelling house" at auction in March 1828 for $1.50 Harriet Dole The deed was recorded on Jan. 28, 1829. Harriet then purchased an adjoining lot of 10 rods and 2 acres for $50 on Apr. 30, 1830. Harriet takes a mortgage of $60 from Hobart Clark who held the deed for two years. The mortgage was then assigned to Henry Tyler of Boston for $63 & $103 on Mar. 31, 1832. Peter Capen then purchased the mortgage on Mar. 16, 1833 for $103.

The Andover Vital records list Dudley Dole died on November 24, 1835 age 59 years at the Alms House. Harriet died intestate on Dec. 16, 1839 age 35 [notation "insane and perished in the snow"] Harriet Dole's estate was administered by William Chickering via Probate Court on the third Tuesday of August 1840. Chickering sold at auction on April 6, 1841 to Timothy P. Holt, cordwainer, for $320. Holt took a $300 mortgage from Daniel Peters. Peters died in 1848 and his estate was then administered by his son Daniel K. Peters. who sold five parcels to Isaac Wilson on Aug. 24, 1848. The last parcel was the former Dole property.

Hannah Wilson, wife of Isaac Wilson of North Parish then held the mortgage deed which was later purchased by Mary H. Holt, wife of Timothy P. The 1850 Andover Valuation schedule lists Timothy P. Holt - Dwelling house, barn $300 3 acres land adjoining $120 and personal estate Cow $20. Timothy Parker Holt was born on Feb. 27, 1811 in the North Parish of Andover, son of Nathaniel and Mehitable (Foster) Holt. Timothy became a shoemaker (cordwainer), married on Nov. 17, 1834 to Mary H. Lovejoy, b. Sept. 24, 1811 daughter of Orlando & Abiah (Gray) Lovejoy of Andover. Children: Charles b. 1835, Sarah 1839, Nathaniel b Feb. 15, 1842, Ellen F. b. Sept. 5, 1843, Joseph S. b. 1845, John Milton b. Apr. 9, 1847 and Albert J. b. Dec. 28, 1855.

In the 1860 census sons Charles and Joseph are shoemakers and daughter Ellen is a shoe binder, son John M. also began in his father's trade. The 1880 census just lists Timothy and Mary in the home. The census also contains a page Schedule of residents who are blind. A Timothy P. Holt is listed as having cataracts. The property was deeded over to Timothy P. on Oct. 25, 1887. His wife Mary H. died on Feb. 4, 1888. Timothy then sold the property to his son John M. and wife Elizabeth J. Holt on May 14, 1888. Timothy died on Nov. 23, 1892 of stomach cancer. He was 81. Timothy and Mary and interred in North Andover.

John M. Holt married on June 4, 1873 in Haverhill, MA to Elizabeth Jenkins, born Aug. 1847 in Milton, NH daughter of William Patten & Maria Sargent ( Rogers) Jenkins. Both were residents of Haverhill at the time of marriage and John occupation was shoemaker. In 1900 they are in the home in Andover, John a laborer. John died on Nov. 22, 1907 of Cullulitus of leg, Pseudo-Leukemia. His occupation was listed as Stone mason. Elizabeth inherited the home and died in 1915. Both are interred at Ridgewood Cemetery in North Andover, MA. John & Elizabeth had no issue.

Elizabeth J. Holt's estate was administered by Harry M. Eames on May 18, 1914. The property was then sold to James & Blanche D. Farnsworth on Oct. 3, 1916. The Farnsworth family owned the home for 35 years selling to Boyd E. & Katheryn P. Brodhead on July 18, 1951. Brodhead owned for three years then sold to William T. & Bernice E. Downs on Dec. 28, 1954. Bill & Bunny Downs continue as owners of record in 2016 now 62 years.

Bibliography/References: 

Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA Land Court
Map plans: #2336 Oct. 1943 – Marion E. Farnsworth
Map #406
Map #403 – Eames

Owners:
Capt. John Lee - Salem, MA - May 14, 1779 - rec. Feb. 28, 1780
Thomas C. Foster, guardian of Hannah Lee & John Lee - Jan. 28, 1829 – b. 270 leaf 21
Benjamin L. & Hannah L. Allen – Jan. 28, 1829 – b. 270 leaf 21
Harriet Dole – Jan. 28, 1829 – b. 270 leaf 21 - $1.50
Harriet Dole – March 1828 – auction - $1.50
Harriet Dole – Apr. 30, 1830 – b. 270 leaf 22 - $50 – 10 rds & 2 acres
Harriet Dole - Apr. 29, 1830 – b. 270 leaf 22 mtg. $60 from Hobart Clark
Harriet Dole – Mar. 31, 1832 – b. 268 leaf 259 mtg. assigned to Henry Tyler $63. & $103.
Harriet Dole – Mar. 16, 1833 – b. 268 leaf 259 mtg. assigned to Peter Capen $103.
Harriet Dole estate, Wm. Chickering Admin. – d. Dec. 16, 1839 Probate Jan. 11, 1840
Timothy P. Holt - Apr. 6, 1841 - b 324 leaf 132 - auction $320.
Daniel Peters - Apr. 22, 1841 - b. 324 p. 221 - mtg. deed $300
Daniel Peters estate, heirs Daniel K. Peters - Aug. 24 1848
Isaac Wilson - Aug. 24, 1848 - b. 401 leaf 181 - last parcel - mtg deed
Hannah Wilson, wife of Isaac - April 19, 1866 - b. 702 leaf 5 - $300 mtg
Mary H. Holt, wife of Timothy P. Holt – Apr. 20, 1866 – b. 702 leaf 6 - $200
Timothy P. Holt – Oct. 25, 1887 – b. 93 p. 169
John M. & Elizabeth J. Holt – May 14, 1888 – b. 95 p. 502 - bond
John M. Holt estate, Elizabeth J. heir - Nov. 22, 1907 - Probate
Elizabeth J. Holt estate, Harry M. Eames, Admin. – May 18, 1914 – Probate lic. d. 1915
James & Blanche D. Farnsworth – Oct. 3, 1916 – b. 369 p. 329 – 2½ acres
Blanche D. Farnsworth – July 11, 1927 – b. 533 p. 544
Blanche D. Farnsworth, wife of James – July 25, 1951 – Certf. #3756 b. 25 p. 425
Boyd E. & Katheryn P. Brodhead – July 18, 1951 – Certf. #3757 b. 25 p. 425 lot C
William T. & Bernice E. Downs – Dec. 28, 1954 – b. 804 p. 95
147 Elm St. Trust, Wm. & Bernice Downs, Trustees. – Sept. 13, 1996 – b. 95 p. 365

Land Court Deeds:
Smith P. Burton, Jr. – Nov. 4, 1920 – b. 433 p. 350
Lilla A. Burton – Nov. 27, 1940 – b. 634 p. 589 – Sherriff’s deed
Lilla A. Burton – Nov. 27, 1940 – b. 636 p. 110
Lilla A. Burton – July 23, 1942 – b. 652 p. 422
Lilla A. Burton - May. 2, 1944 – b. 663 p. 415 - Notice
Lilla A. Burton – Oct. 30, 1944 – Certf. #2935 b. 20 p. 141
Blanche D. Farnsworth, wife of James – July 25, 1951 – Certf. #3756 b. 25 p. 425
Boyd E. & Katheryn P. Brodhead – July 18, 1951 – Certf. #3757 b. 25 p. 425 lot C
William T. & Bernice E. Downs – Dec. 28, 1954 – b. 804 p. 95
147 Elm St. Trust, Wm. & Bernice Downs, Trs. – Sept. 13, 1996 – b. 95 p. 365

134 Elm St.
Dr. Nehemiah Abbott -1717-1785
Dr. Abbott moved to Chelmsford 1770.
Capt. John Lee from Salem, MA - May 14, 1779 - rec. Feb. 28, 1780

Inventory Data:

StreetElm St
PlaceAndover Center District
Historic DistrictAndover Historic Building Survey
Historic NameDole - Holt - Downs House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1750's
SourceECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs
Architectural StyleFederal
Foundationstone/granite
Wall/Trimclapboards/wood
Roofasphalt - gambrel
Outbuildings / Secondary Structuresgarage
Major AlterationsPossibly moved to this site from the Lee Farm
Conditionexcellent
Acreage1.793 acres
Settingresidential
Map and parcel21-139
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, 2/22/2016

Map: