Georgian - Colonial
Themes: Agricultural, Architectural, Community development
Original owner: Darius Abbot
Darius Abbott was b. in 1736 of Pomfret, and married Mary Holt of Andover, intention recorded on Nov. 1, 1757. Most likely built his own home. The deeds have a Samuel Holt & Darius Abbott, house-wright, purchasing a small parcel of land together on May 7 1760 from Joshua Holt for 20 pounds. (b.107 lf. 103). Darius Abbott then buys a 1/2 acre lot behind his barn on April 21, 1763 from Benjamin Holt. Probably originally part of Holt homestead.
Darius Abbot, house-wright sells the farm to Jacob Jones of North Wilmington on April 16,1776, reads "our homestead land with dwelling house thereon - lyes on road leading from John Fiske (now 331 So. Main/Turner Farm) to meeting house". Jacob, a yeoman, paid 480 pounds for the farm. The deed was recorded two years later on March 17, 1778. The Homestead remained in Jones family until 1895.
Jacob Jones was b. Sept. 23, 1737, son of Ebenezer & Elizabeth (Dale) Jones. Jacob married Mary Winn of Wilmington, b. Sept. 9, 1739 dau. of Hezekiah and Bethyah Winn. Jacob & Mary Winn Jones died on Jan. 1, 1812. Jacob died on Jan. 11, 1814 and his estate went to his son Ebenezer. Ebenezer b. 1759 first married Elizabeth Abbot, b. Nov. 2, 1755. They had six children; Betsey b. Oct. 4, 1780 - d. 1861, Jacob b. Aug. 13, 1782, Jewett b. June 15, 1784, Mary b. July 25, 1786, Abbot b. July 4, 1789 and Ebenezer Jr. b. Jan. 31, 1792. Wife Elizabeth died on Oct. 26, 1815. He remarried, int. recorded on Dec. 2, 1819, to Dorcus Dane, b. Apr. 14, 1769 dau. of Joseph & Elizabeth Dane.
On March 7, 1828 Ebenezer Sr. sells to his son, Ebenezer Jr. one undivided half of the homestead farm for $1500. Ebenezer Jones Jr. of Weld, ME married int. Jan. 11, 1823 to Mary Kimball Holt, dau. of Henry & Mary Holt of Sunset Rock Farm nearby. His father Ebenezer died on Aug. 25, 1832 and widow Dorcas on Oct. 6, 1854.
Ebenezer Jr. & Mary K. had five children; Mary Eliz. b.Sept. 21, 1828 , Anna Eliz. b. Oct. 17, 1830 - d Sept. 6, 1894, Sarah Jane. b June 8, 1835 - Oct. 18, 1864, Almira b. May 25, 1837 - Apr. 24, 1911 and an infant son b. Dec. 10, 1843 - d. same day. Mary K. Jones died at age 42 on Oct. 14, 1845 of consumption.
Ebenezer, having inherited from father in 1832, remodeled. He raised roof to put in two more rooms, added projection to north and west porch and pantry. Large original chimney removed to make two new chimneys. House, which had probably been a lean-to with single large chimney now had two chimneys, 2 kitchens - (perhaps more than one family living there then. Windows were changed; new north projection had "summer kitchen" with "corn-room" above.
Old house was cut in half - 1/2 went down the Hill to Issac Goldsmith's property; 1/2 at Sunset Rock as dwelling for Dr. Witting's servants (says Charlotte Helen Abbott).
House had hand hewn gun-stock beams of oak wainscoting; paneled walls; fireplace every room; batten doors; wide floor boards; small pane windows.
Ebenezer Jones deeds one undivided 1/2 of farm which was his fathers to his son-in-law Hezekiah Jones in June 1857. Hezekiah Jones was married to Ebenezer's daughter Anna Eliza Jones. The deed included a stipulation that if the union produced no heirs the property would revert back to the surviving siblings. Ebenezer died on May 12, 1867. and his heirs each receive 1/6 of his half share of the homestead. He is interred in South Parish Cemetery as are several family members.
Hezekiah Jones b. Sept. 8, 1825 in Weld, ME son of Hezekiah Wynn & Susan (Farnum) Jones and wife Anna Eliza Jones have five children of which two outlive their parents. Eliza Hathaway b. Aug. 4, 1860 - d. Apr. 20, 1862, Sarah Holt b. May 16, 1863 - d. Nov. 20, 1863, Susan Kimball b. Dec. 22, 1865 - d. 1950, Frederick Hall b. Sept. 28, 1867 - d. June 15, 1947 and George H. b. Aug. 20, 1874 - d. Dec. 6, 1894. His wife Anna E. died on Sept. 6, 1894.
Hezekiah Jones sells the homestead to Frederick H. & Gladys M. Shattuck - Apr. 9, 1895. Georgia M. Ives and Sarah E. Ives then purchase the home on Sept. 29, 1899. Georgina b. July 1864 and Sarah b. Nov. 1858 were the daughters of Capt. Bennett Ives at sea captain. The family had purchased the former Joshua Ballard homestead on Woburn St. on Nov. 17, 1897. Their home burned to the ground on Sunday April 30, 1899 with a loss of most of the families possessions. The Ives purchased this home on Sept. 29, 1899 and held for eleven years. Capt. Ives died on Dec. 30, 1909 at the age of 81. The sisters then sold the home to Mahlon E. Brande, wife Clara G. on Apr. 26, 1910.
Frederick Bacheller of Lawrence owned land and house, but never lived there. (He built "Twin Cedars" - bungalow on So. Main, 1912).
March 1911, Bacheller sold house to Arthur W. Bassett. Had the oldest Elm tree in Andover on property at that time.
Redone since 1978 - restored to original condition ?
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical society files
Interview with owner of abutting property owner Col. Harris, So. Main Street
Map plan #12894 - July 2, 1996
Darius Abbot & Samuel Holt - Mar. 7, 1760 - b. 107 leaf 103 - 20 pounds - sm. parcel
Darius & Mary (Holt) Abbot - Apr. 21, 1863 - b. 124 leaf 22 - 1/2 acre behind barn
Jacob Jones - April 16, 1776 rec. Mar. 17, 1778 - b. 135 leafs 246 & 247
Jacob Jones estate, heir, son Ebenezer Jones - Jan. 12, 1814
Ebenezer Jones - Jan. 30, 1815 - b. 207 leaf 232 - two parcels from Stephen Abbot
Ebenezer & Dorcas (Dane) Jones - Dec. 1819 - marriage
Ebenezer Jr. & Mary K. (Holt) Jones - Mar. 17, 1828 - b. 249 leaf 260 - undivided 1/2 of farm
Hezekiah Jones - June 1857 - b. 557 leaf 122
Hezekiah Jones, wife Anna Eliza - Sept. 17, 1867 - b. 732 leaf 292
Hezekiah Jones, Frederick H. Jones, Susan K. Jones, heirs - Apr. 9, 1895 - b. 139 p. 86 -quit claim
Frederick H. & Gladys M. Shattuck - Apr. 9, 1895 - b. 139 p. 87
Georgia M. Ives and Sarah E. Ives - Sept. 29, 1899 - b. 172 p. 529
Mahlon E. Brande, wife Clara G. - Apr. 26, 1910 - b. 287 p. 138
Fred E. Batcheller, wife Ruth - Sept. 23, 1910 - b. 297 p. 270
Ruth L. Batcheller - Dec. 3, 1913 - b. 336 p. 495
Georgianna J. Bassett - May 3, 1911 - - b. 305 p. 12
Georgianna J. Bassett - June 30, 1926 - b. 524 p. 281
Sara Ann Howe - June 8, 1957 - b. 856 p. 487
Myrtle T. Hayward - Feb. 25, 1959 - b. 889 p. 20
Charles P. & Sara Ann Howe - Feb. 25, 1959 - b. 889 p. 207
Raymond A. & Myriam H. Liddell - July 11, 1984 - b. 1877 p. 154
John M. & Pamela R. Abernathy - Nov. 4, 1986 - b. 2346 p. 5
Carl David & Janice Falk Collins - July 25, 1994 - b. 4091 p. 234
Colonial Village Development Corp. Douglas F> Strong - Aug. 23, 1996 - b. 4577 p. 104
Richard G. & Suzanne M. Pellegrino, Sr. - Sept. 18, 1997 - b. 4846 p. 174
Scott J. & Heidi N. Jamieson - Sept. 18, 1997 ? - B. 4846 p. 174
Theodore & Monica Buchholz - July 16, 2004 - b. 8932 p. 110
Monica F. Buchholz - Oct. 11, 2013 - b. 13671 p. 125
|Place||Andover - Scotland District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Jones - Bassett Farm|
|Construction Date||exact date uncertain - early 18th century; ?et. (before 1776) older than outward appearance indicates.|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architect/Builder||probably Darius Abbot - housewright|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||remodelled (1828 - 1832) Part of house removed (1830's)|
|Map and parcel||79-26|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/12/2016|