This home was built by the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. about 1860 as a two family tenement for employees of the company. The house was built on the west side of North Main Street on the current Wood Park. When Smith & Dove relocated to Abbott Village (Dundee Park) they began to sell off their properties in Frye Village. All seven homes on that location were sold to George H. Carlisle of Lawrence on May 3, 1907.
Carlisle then surveyed the properties and divided the homes into single lots. This home was located at at #322 - #324 North Main St. It was then sold to Patrick J. Brady on Aug. 18, 1908. Brady lived in #322 and worked for Curren & Joyce. In 1913 Andrew & Elizabeth Ferrier rented unit #324. Andrew work at Tyer Rubber Co. Brady owned the home for 10 years then sold to William M. Wood on Nov. 22, 1918.
This home was saved and became part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. By September 1919 Wood had acquired all homes on the three acre parcel and began moving them to new locations. The Brady house was moved to the new Balmoral St. about 1921. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first residents of record in 1926 were William C. Gillespie and gardener at #15 and George R. & Christina Murray. George was an auto mechanic and his wife Christina is working as a saleslady at 340 No. Main.
This house was sold to Margaret E. Richardson on Sept. 25, 1936 who then deed the property to Harriet M. Casey & Palmer Kitchin, Jr. the same day. The Kitchin family were long term owners of 38 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#880 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - Lot #33
North Main St. location;
John Smith - Dec. 29, 1841 - b. 335 leaf 99 - Salem deed
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. - July 1, 1864 - b. 677 leaf 259 - Salem deed
George H. Carlisle - May 3, 1907 - b. 250 p. 545 - Lawrence deeds
Patrick J. Brady - Aug. 18, 1908 - b. 264 p. 173
William M. Wood - Nov. 22, 1918 - b. 393 p. 112
Balmoral St. location;
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - parcel 33rd
Margaret E. Richardson - Sept. 25, 1936 - b. 601 p. 144
Harriet M. Casey & Palmer Kitchin, Jr. - Sept. 25, 1936 - b. 722 p. 25
Edith Kitchin - Sept. 27, 1947 - b. 758 p. 301 -- deed 1
Edith Kitchin -Jan. 19, 1949 - b. 758 p. 302 - deed 2
John L. & Eunice G. Sweeney - Oct. 1, 1974 - b. 1249 p. 633
Robert R. & Kathleen A. (Sweeney) Deschene - Jan. 6, 1986 - b. 2109 p. 119
Daniel F. Moynihan III - Sept. 29, 1998 - b. 5194 p. 341
Steven J. & Shelley A. Costantino - Feb. 15, 2000 - b. 5684 p. 283
15 - 17 Balmoral St. Condominium Trust - Apr. 27, 2006 - b. 10152 p. 317
Unit 2 - #15
Steven J. & Shelley A. Costantino
Unit 1 #17
Michael & Erin (Burke) Bergeron - 2006 - b. 10153 p. 4 -
Kyung Jun Nam - Mar. 24, 2009 - b. 11522 p. 10
Kyung Jun & Susan Kang Nam - Sept. 13, 2013 - b. 13634 p. 7
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Brady - Kitchin House|
|Present Use||residences - 2 family condo|
|Original Use||residence - 2 family|
|Construction Date||1855 - 1860|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||gable - asphalt|
|Major Alterations||Roof gables and new entrances added when house was relocated. Replacement windows|
|Move Details||1919 - 1920|
|Map and parcel||36-11|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1980 - 7/2/2015|