Late Greek Revival
Present owner: Faith Howland (8-2-75)
Other owners: Fairweather, Maria M. (10-9-30); Abbot Academy Trustees (8-10-59); Phillips Academy (7-2-73)
Asa Farwell owned the property in 1866 when he sold to
Mary A. Callahan on September 11, 1866. Mary held the property for 38 years then selling to James D. & Maria C. Fairweather on Aug. 1, 1904.
The Fairweathers held the property for 55 years. James died in 1926 and the property was placed in his wife Maria C. and daughter Maria M. Fairweather names.
Daughter Maria M. inherited the property and after her death in 1959 the estate was sold by Fred Cheever to the Trustees of Abbot Academy.
The house was used as faculty housing. With the merger of Abbot and Phillips Academies in 1973 the property was transferred to the Trustees of Phillips Academy. Three years later it was sold to Faith Howland in July 1976.
Howland sold to Ronald & Janis (Jackson) Hill in June 1981 and the property remains in the Hill Realty Trust as of 2014.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Asa Farwell - 1866
Mary A. Callahan - Sept. 11, 1866 - b. 722 leaf 111 Salem deed
James D. & Maria C. Fairweather - Aug. 1, 1904 - b. 213 p. 88
Maria C. Fairweather - Nov. 18, 1926 - b. 527 p. 454
Mabel Huntress, estate of James Fairweather - Nov. 18, 1926 - b. 527 p. 455 transfer
Maria M. Fairweather 1926
Mabel Huntress - Nov. 18, 1927 - b. 537 p. 175 transfer
Maria C. Fairweather & Maria M. Fairweather - Nov. 18, 1927 - b. 537 p. 176
Caroline G. Richardson _ Oct. 4, 1930 - b. 555 p. 52
Maria M. Fairweather - Oct. 4, 1930 - b. 555 p. 52
Maria M. Fairweather estate, Fred Cheever, Extr. - July 14, 1959 - Probate #259905
Trustees of Abbot Academy - Aug. 10, 1959 - b. 899 p. 174
Trustees of Phillips Academy - June 30, 1973 - p. 1222 p. 85
Faith Howland - July 28, 1976 - b. 1288 p. 25
Ronald & Janis (Jackson) Hill - June 1, 1981 - b. 1508 p. 10
Hill Realty Trust - June 29, 2006 - b. 10258 p. 269
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Fairweather, Maria House - Phillips Academy|
|Construction Date||1850's - 1860's|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||brick and stone|
|Map and parcel||74-8|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 6/2014|