The business block that now occupies 15 Barnard St. is new construction and was built in 2008 - 2009 by the Lally II Realty Trust. The design of the building was modeled after the Jacob W. Barnard Shoe Manf. building (1885) next door at #9 - #11 Barnard. This site once held the historic Shed House, moved to this location in 1883 at the east end (#17- #19.) A one story wooden store building occupied the west end of the parcel (#13 - #15). The Shed house was built facing Main St. on the corner Barnard St. The Shed house was gutted by fire in 2007 and razed. The store building survived but was also razed for this new business and retail block.
Jacob W. Barnard purchased the Shed home and property in 1882. Barnard then lifted the house off its foundation, tuned it 90 degrees and moved it to the rear of the property facing north toward Park St. The new town brick firehouse was constructed in 1883 on the vacant lot between Park St and Barnard Court, now occupied by the west end of the municipal parking lot.
New brick building constructed: Tenants;
"Irresistibles", a woman's clothing store has occupied the entire first floor of 15 Barnard St since opening in 2010. This is the third location for the business. (2010)
Dentistry by Design (upstairs) has occupied the professional office space since 2009.
Business tenants of the store front - 13 - 15 Barnard St.
Barnard Insurance, 13 - 15 Barnard, 1931
Hometown Seafoods, 15 Barnard - 1992 - 2007
Dolan’s Seafoods (1984 - 1988)
Lannam’s TV (1966)
Joe Caruso Shoe Foundry - 1963
Joe Caruso Shoe Service (1955 - 1958) “across from Police Station”
Helaine’s Interior Decorator (1952 - 1962)
Andover Tobacco & Candy Co. (1950)
Robbie’s Furrier (1949) (#2 Musgrove; #3 – 20 Essex, 1955)
Academy Barber Shop (1929)
Shattuck & Sons Express 1926
Robert Hutcheson, fish and oysters (1913)
John A. Collins & Sons, fish (1908)
H. C. Chase - Bicycle shop 1891-1896
T. J. Farmer, fish (1891)
17 - 19 Barnard St. Shed House - Resident rental apartments to the 1970s.
Insurance & Realty Co. 1980's - 2007
Chiropractor's office 17 Barnard
John Cronin Law Office, 19 Barnard
Andover Cab Company (1998) 19 Barnard
Andover Clock Shop (May 1972 - ) 17 Barnard
Colonial Furniture Shop (1955)
17 - Mary E. Sanborn - domestic
17 - William J. & Florence M. Trainor, store mgr.
19 - Samuel B. Forsythe, Jr. p machinist
19 - Colonial Furniture Shop - Roland L. Luce, prop.
1891 - Miss M. J. Howard - dressmaker, Milliner
Directories: 1953, 1943, 1932, 1926
Maps: 1930, 1906, 1896, 1884, 1872, 1852
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Lally II Realty Block|
|Construction Date||2008 - 2009|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||flat - tar & gravel|
|Demolition Details||Shed house and seafood store razed 2007 after fire.|
|Map and parcel||39-28|
|Recorded by||Brian Lee, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||August 1992, 2/26/2017|