Colonial Revival - Dutch Colonial
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the new Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Carlisle Street takes its name from Carlisle Castle situated in Carlisle, Cumbria County, England near the ruins of Hadrian’s Wall, the border between England and Scotland.
The house is in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1977 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets, later moved into the Administration Building.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the
original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 were Clarence J. & Ella Simmons. Clarence was a clerk at the American Woolen CO.
This house was sold to Arthur H. & Lillian A. Compton on Dec. 29, 1933. Arthur was the assistant signal supervisor at the B & M Railroad. After the deaths of Arthur H. and Lillian A. Compton, Elizabeth Evely Thompson Crompton b. 1908 inherits the property. Elizabeht is in the home alone in 1961, her occupation listed as a clerk. She died in 1977 ending 44 years of ownership by the Crompton family. The property was sold from her estate to Albert R. & Suzanne S. Croteau on June 23, 1977.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #41
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
#708 - Nov. 1927 - AWCo.
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. Dec. 1920
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 11th parcel
Arthur H. & Lillian A. Compton - Dec. 29, 1933 - b. 574 p. 200
Arthur H. Campton estate, Lillian A.Compton heir
Lillian A.Compton estate, Elizabeth Evely Thompson Crompton heir
Elizabeth Evely Thompson Crompton estate, Lawrence S. Thompson, Extr- June 16, 1977
Albert R. & Suzanne S. Croteau - June 23, 1977 - b. 1311 p. 663
Albert R. & Suzanne S. Croteau Trust - Aug. 28, 1981 - b. 1529 p. 106
Jonathan J. & Constance C. Mazelsky - Mar. 28, 1999 - b. 3086 p. 264
Eric I Daum & Beth A. Niemi - Aug. 14, 1997 - b. 4818 p. 299
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Arthur H. & Lillian A. Compton House|
|Original Use||residence - mill housing|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||slate - gambrel|
|Major Alterations||vinyl siding, replacement shutters|
|Map and parcel||18-32|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/24/2015|