A Family home in the Queen Anne style with 2 baths, 7 rooms and 4 bedrooms. This 1 3/4 story building has an attached garage with a wood stove. The house was built about 1887 and has a stone & brick foundation, clapboard and wood exterior, gable asphalt roof, one chimney.
Other features: interesting porches with playful fret work. Gable end has decorative saw tooth and staggered shingle decorative work to asymmetrical facade. and sited high on a hill, basement has earth floor (1996)
Themes: Architectural, Community development
This property was once owned by John Howe, Jr., a partner of John Marland in the Ballard Vale Machine Shop. Both Marland & Howe held a great deal of property in the village center and divided up house lots along Andover, Centre, Tewksbury and Clark Roads. John Howe Jr. acquired about five and a half acres on Clark Road. In the early deeds Clark Road is referred to as "Lowell St" and also the road from Ballardvale Bridge to Nathan Clark's, the farmhouse at the corner of Dascomb Rd.
John Howe Jr. sold this property to Ebenezer L. Lovejoy of Boston for $600. on May 2, 1850. It contained two parcels of land. Lot one held 1 acre 120 roads and lot 2 held 3 acres 148 roads. With the death of Lovejoy, Milton Austin, a Deputy Sheriff with the Boston courts was appointed by Probate Court to Administer Lovejoy's estate. A note on the deed margin states "Probate of Will Defaced"
Austin sold the land to Frederick M. Putnam of Lynn, MA on Apr. 22, 1865. Putnam paid $1000. John A. Putnam of Danvers then acquired half share for $500. and later the other half for $750. on Marc. 23, 1875. John A. Putnam divided up the parcels and sold a half acre lot to John William Morrison of Boston on Dec. 15, 1875. The lot was a portion of the larger lot of which tow other parcels were sold off to Milton Moore and Kibbee.
Morrison then sold the half acre lot to Pyam D. Morgan of Andover for $55. on July 6, 1887. No mention of buildings in the deeds. We believe that Pyam D. Morgan built the house and then sold to Rebecca R. Gibson on Aug. 19, 1892. Morgan had moved to San Jose CA. at the time of sale. Mrs. Aggettia Gibson gets the house on October 3, 1914. The 1920 Assessors Valuation Schedule South District lists: Mrs. Aggettia Gibson of Schaghticoke, NY, House, Clark Rd. , Ballard Vale $1000. 3/4 acre of land $175.
Gibson sells to Delvina Beaulieu, wife of Lewis on Sept. 1, 1925. Both names Delvina and Lewis are placed on the deeds on Oct. 19, 1957. This house lot was once numbered 27 Clark Rd. The Town of Andover re-numbed many streets in 1958 and this became #15 Clark Rd. then. In the Andover Street list Jan. 1, 1961, Lewis b. 1898 is listed as a Drum Man. Delvina b. 1896 a housewife. They have Robert & Geraldine West boarding with them. The Beaulieus owned for 63 years then selling to Gerald R. & Cynthia J. Cloutier on Jan. 21, 1988
The Cloutier family continues as owners of record in 2017, now 29 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Assessor's maps
John Mann - 1846 - land lot 1 - 1 acre 120 rods
Andrew Scott - Dec. 31, 1846 - b. 379 leaf 231 - lot 1
John Marland - 1848 - lot 2 - 3 acres 148 rods
John Howe, Jr. - Oct. 3, 1848 - b. 402 leaf 220 - lot 2
John Howe Jr. - Apr. 30, 1850 - b. 402 leaf 158 - 1/2 of lot 2
Ebenezer L. Lovejoy - May 2, 1850 - b. 427 leaf 159 - lots 1 & 2
Ebenezer L. Lovejoy estate, Milton Austin, Adm. - Probate
Frederick M. Putnam - Apr. 27, 1865 - b. 683 leaf 52 - 5 1/2 acres
Frederick M. Putnam - Apr. 22, 1865 - b. 690 leaf 256
John A. Putnam - Sept. 18, 1865 - b. 690 leaf 256 - 1/2
John A. Putnam - Mar. 23, 1875 - b. 35 p. 256 - 1/2 of 5 1/2 acres
John William Morrison - Dec. 15, 1885 - b. 84 p. 323 - 1/2 acre
Pyam D. Morgan - July 6, 1887 - b. 92 p. 244 - $55. lot
Rebecca R. Gibson - Aug. 19, 1892 - b. 120 p. 251
Frank L. Crossley, wife Annie -
Aggettia Gibson - Oct. 3, 1914 - b. 349 p. 266
Delvina Beaulieu, wife of Lewis - Sept. 1, 1925 - b. 516 p. 59
Delvina & Lewis Beaulieu - Oct. 19, 1957 - b. 863 p. 268
Gerald R. & Cynthia J. Cloutier - Jan. 21, 1988 - b. 2665 p. 340
Cloutier Family Clark Road Trust - Apr. 5, 2016 - b. 14584 p. 100
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||Rebecca Gibson House|
|Present Use||residence, duplex|
|Construction Date||1887 - 1891|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Roof||Gable - Asphalt|
|Major Alterations||attached garage (1964) with wood stove|
|Acreage||0.582 acre; Acreage: 0.58 acres; Lot size: 25,342 sq. ft.; Approx. frontage: 95'|
|Map and parcel||137-15|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; Ruth Sharpe, James S. Batchelder (Ballardvale Historic District)|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977; 17 Feb 1996. 1/28/2017|